project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2016-09-20, 05:21   #1
Shepard197
Post New Laptop for PR

Hey guys this is my first forum post. I'm going to be picking up a new laptop soon mainly for internet browsing and other light stuff, but I'm still hoping to play PR as well. The laptops I'm looking at generally have an

i5 6200u (2.3) (2.
8 GB memory
Intel HD Graphics 520

I was wondering what kind of performance I would get in PR with this type of dual core processor and integrated graphics. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Shepard197 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-20, 15:32   #2
operativac
Supporting Member

Default Re: New Laptop for PR

Should perform well enough for PR.
If you set the laptop to performance mode it shouldn't drop below 30 fps on most maps.
operativac is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-22, 06:32   #3
Shepard197

Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up buying a Lenovo Ideapad 700 on sale with an i5 6300hq and a 950m. Here's the link if anyone is interested. Don't think the sale will last much longer.

Lenovo Ideapad 700-15ISK 15.6" IPS 1080P, i5-6300HQ, 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD, GTX 950M 4GB, WiFi AC,Win10 Home 64 @ $535 with F/S - Slickdeals.net
Shepard197 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 11:42   #4
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I too must get a new laptop for PR.

I want all high decent FPS on 1920X1080.

Looking of course to spend the minimum to achieve this. I am thinking 8GB ram, gtx1050 2gb but I believe PR is a CPU eater needing something fast?

Any help?

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 17:44   #5
Veterans-Gaming

Yes, PR is old school and won't take much advantage of your CPU past a single core in it's default stock configuration. You do not need to spend much to get a solid 50+ FPS in PR, the game is built on BF2 from 2004!!

Seriously, heat will be the biggest issue on most systems, as PR games last longer than your normal shooter game, so monitor your temps to be sure your laptop remains in the green and clean the dust out of the little intakes at least monthly. You'll notice a drop in FPS on a laptop when things get really hot, most power profiles allow for speeding up fans before slowing the chip, but when fans are at max, a laptop will be ready to throttle itself down.

If you are thinking of spending more than $750 on a laptop just to play PR, consider looking at entry level Gaming desktop PC's instead... more than twice the performance for the $$ since everything isn't designed to be tiny. Big fans, big cooling, big performance - low price.
Veterans-Gaming is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 18:03   #6
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Heat will be the least of your worries as PR takes no more than a core and a half at maximum performance. GPU-wise, unless you're playing on a 4K monitor with x8 AA, any modern GPU will not go past 50% utilization.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-21, 08:29   #7
agus92
Supporting Member

I'm playing PR with an integrated intel 520, zero issues, except for fps drop with smoke+thermals combination.

The biggest issues I had with PR were on my old (2010's i5) laptop, which experienced CTD's after 2-4 hours of playtime due to out of memory (4GB ram), and danger level heat on summer (in spain), to the point I had to play with ice packs below the laptop xD.

tldr: 8GB ram, modern-ish i3 or i5, good ventilation and no need for gpu.

agus92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 12:03   #8
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I am still occasionally using my 2009 MSI laptop,
2.3 GHz dual core 4GB RAM nvidia 9600M GT 512Mb runs on low to medium but smoke is a slideshow.

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 01:25   #9
WeeGeez
Supporting Member

Agree that laptop should be kept cool if you want it to last, that of course depends on how many game hours it will see, but I've seen some gpu chips die after 2years after frequent use, judging by opinions on the web. It is a recurring issue seen over course of 10+ years, not just with old tops.

Cheap computer build / fast track upgrade for slow computer for PR > Guide
WeeGeez is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop