project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2022-05-30, 13:13   #1
Crylink
Arrow How to get started?

Hi , I was wondering what is the best way to practice modding project reality from a total beginner level.

I have basic background knowledge in c# and java coding.

I was hoping to try and make a mod where you can increase the zoom of the iron sights to get started.
Crylink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-30, 13:37   #2
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: How to get started?

The ironsight zoom is done by editing the games memory at runtime. I fear c# and Java wont get you far with that. You probably will have more success starting off working with the bf2 con/tweak logic or the server side python. Both give you more insight into how the engine work which will help you if you ever want to get into modifying bf2 code directly.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-30, 13:58   #3
Crylink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
The ironsight zoom is done by editing the games memory at runtime. I fear c# and Java wont get you far with that. You probably will have more success starting off working with the bf2 con/tweak logic or the server side python. Both give you more insight into how the engine work which will help you if you ever want to get into modifying bf2 code directly.
-what is "bf2 con/tweak logic" and how do I access it

-"server side python" can I access it on a local server? and how?

EDIT - Alright so I found this - https://www.realitymod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14468

is it a good thing to start with or is there something im missing?
Last edited by Crylink; 2022-05-30 at 17:16..
Old 2022-05-30, 17:30   #4
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

It is a good start to get you familiarized with how mods are set up. There are lots of tutorials on this forum and on the net on how to get started with bf2 modding.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-31, 11:39   #5
Crylink

Right so I figured out how to make an automatic firing rpg-26, and a burst firing G3A3 by modifying the tweak logic.

still unsure how to edit the runtime memory.
Old 2022-05-31, 15:53   #6
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crylink View Post
still unsure how to edit the runtime memory.
That is the furthest away you can get from "beginner level". What's your background? Any c++ knowledge?
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-31, 16:41   #7
Crylink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
That is the furthest away you can get from "beginner level". What's your background? Any c++ knowledge?
do you mean the run time memory is simple or highly advanced?

background is I learned how to code c# in school
and took an entry java course in university.

no c++ knowledge

also I found memory.pyc(not sure if it runtime memory mats referred to) but its compiled and cant access it
Old 2022-05-31, 18:52   #8
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Highly advanced, impossible without c++ knowledge.

A lot of features in the last decade were not added in with "modding", but with reverse engineering. Without Low-level programming knowledge, you're only going to be able to change what was designed to be changeable, through the configuration files (.tweak / .con)

If you insist on the coding side of PR, I'd suggest learning Python first. Its relatively easy.

Otherwise, you'll need quite a few CS courses in university. (You did Java before c++ in university? That doesn't sound like computer science faculty).
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-31, 19:52   #9
Crylink

thanks for the info

just to be clear if I learn python I still need to learn c++?(for low-level programming)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
Highly advanced, impossible without c++ knowledge. (You did Java before c++ in university? That doesn't sound like computer science faculty).
did it in the open university
Old 2022-05-31, 21:40   #10
SemlerPDX

Click the link in his reply for more info on low level programming - by context, this does not include C++ (a high level programming language)

For PR, you would want a base of knowledge in Python, and if delving any deeper, knowledge of C++ as well as low level programming as described in his link - talking assembly/machine code levels of stuff...

EDIT: when they're talking about editing the memory at runtime, they are literally talking about work they did to learn which memory addresses are written to by the game engine so as to edit these values for a desired outcome when the program is run, enacted by some script or code in PR at runtime. This is a means to change or provide the ability to change things that would otherwise not be accessible. The concept is a general one, if you want more info google for keywords like "what is reading and writing memory at runtime?". This is also where highly advanced methods of reverse engineering occur, and where "shit gets deep" real fast.

Last edited by SemlerPDX; 2022-05-31 at 21:54..