project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2017-11-07, 13:37   #1
Spitfire1.2
Default Why this map isnt being played anymore?

Sadly when 1.4 came out I was working om my thesis so I missed the whole Falklamds hype.

Nowdays Falklands is rarely being set as the next map (it's not even included in map votes).
Why is that? I do get that from the infantry man's prespective it doesnt have many terrain features.
What do you guys think the problem is? and what can be changed to make it better?

It's sad because so muh work has been done to make this map and noone plays it
Old 2017-11-07, 18:56   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Why this map isnt being played anymore?

Map is a little hard to play on a normal public server as you need to work with your air power and Infantry do have a rough time with little cover and not much in the way of transport over open ground (as it was in r/l). As such if your team isn't doing too well, you can get steamrolled and raped pretty easily. I'm hoping at some point to give the map a little more in the way of cover, detail and life for infantry but right now, pretty busy with other stuff.

When the new version comes out again with all the updates that will come with it the hype should be back and also the map should be in a much better playable state. I didn't get to refine the gameplay as much as I had hoped before the last release as I got a chance to travel to Indochina and North America around its release so wasn't able to put in anything like as much as I had hoped, but hopefully will for the next version, if I get time hehe

Old 2017-11-07, 20:37   #3
FlyingR

Cause ppl don't know how to play the map
Old 2017-11-07, 21:24   #4
Lugi

Cause nobody wants to play hide and seek between 4 inf squads.
Old 2017-11-07, 21:41   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugi View Post
Cause nobody wants to play hide and seek between 4 inf squads.
I take it you mean 4 Inf squads between both teams? If so, that seriously isn't the case and The Falklands is the most infantry heavy map, with jets on it, other than Soul Rebel.

To quote an old post, and while the assets are a little out of date it is still pretty much the same setup, other than now on AAS64 your not playing both the North and South routes at the same time and only either North or South so even less of the map is in play for ground forces:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Funny how just because the map has a lot more jets than any other map everyone seems to think this...

This thread here lists all the assets for every game mode and layer: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f19...falklands.html

Now taking The Falklands AAS 64 (AAS Standard Layer) here is what we have:
Spoiler for Assets:
GB
HMS Invincible
4x Sea Harrier FRS1 (Fighter) [5min Delayed Spawn]
1x Harrier GR3 (A - Ground Attack - 2x 500lb Bombs) [5min Spawn]
1x Harrier GR3 (C - Ground Attack - 2x 36, 2" (50mm) Rocket Pods, 72 Total) [5min Spawn]
1x Harrier GR3 (B -Ground Attack - 2x 1000lb LGB) [20min Delayed Spawn]
1x Wessex Helicopters [5min Spawn, max of 2]
- ATC, Radar & AA Defences
Atlantic Conveyor (Destroyable)
1x Chinook CH1 [10min Delayed Spawn, max of 3]
San Carlos / Bomb Alley
2x Logi Trucks [10min Delayed Spawn]
1x Landrover Support [10min Delayed Spawn]
1x Scorpion [30min Delayed Spawn]
- Bunch of AA Defences
Goose Green
1x RHIB [10min Delayed Spawn]
Argentina
Argentina
2x Mirage IIIEA (Fighter) [5min Spawn]
1x IAI Dagger (Fighter Bomber) [5min Delayed Spawn]
2x A-4C Skyhawk (Ground Attack) [5min Spawn]
1x Mirage IIIEA AS (Anti-Shipping) [10min Delayed Spawn]
- ATC, Radar & AA Defences
Pebble Island
1x A-1H Skyraider (Ground Attack) [5min Spawn]
- Bunch of AA Defences
Stanley
3x Logi Trucks [5min Spawn]
2x Transport Trucks [5min Spawn]
1x UH-1H Iroquois [10min Spawn, Max of 2]
1x Hippie Van (Support Jeep) [5min Spawn]
- Bunch of AA Defences
Goose Green
1x RP [No Respawn]
1x ZPU-4 AAA
Mt. Tumbledown
1x RP [No Respawn]

Basically to summarise, out of 64 players (32 a side):
Brits will commonly have around 7 players in vehicles, with a max, assuming that all assets have spawned, none have been shot down and the Atlantic Convey has spawned and spawned all of its 3 Chinooks which takes 40mins to do so at the very min assuming that each Chinook was taken off the spawn directly after it spawned, a max of 14 players in vehicles. (excluding passengers, jeeps and trucks, AA guns etc)
Argies will also commonly have around 7 players in vehicles, with a max, assuming that all the assets have spawned and none destroyed a max of 9 players in vehicles (excluding passengers, jeeps and trucks, AA guns etc)

Now lets take Kashan, a standard 4k map I think everyone would agree where many people will claim its good for infantry combat due to the bunkers in the middle of the map.
Spoiler for Assets:
US
US Main
4x us_tnk_m1a2 [No Re-Spawn]
2x us_ifv_m2a2 [No Re-Spawn]
3x us_tnk_m1a2 [20min Delayed Spawn]
3x us_ifv_m2a2 [20min Delayed Spawn]
3x us_aav_avenger [10min Delayed Spawn]
2x us_the_uh60 [10min Spawn]
1x us_ahe_kiowa_alt2 [20min Delayed Spawn]
1x us_jet_f16 [20min Delayed Spawn]
1x us_jet_a10a [20min Delayed Spawn]
MEC
MEC Main
4x mec_tnk_t72 [No Re-Spawn]
2x mec_tnk_bmp3 [No Re-Spawn]
3x mec_tnk_t72 [20min Delayed Spawn]
2x mec_ifv_bmp3 [20min Delayed Spawn]
3x mec_aav_gopher [10min Delayed Spawn]
1x mec_tow_shturm [20min Delayed Spawn]
2x mec_the_mi17 [10min Spawn]
1x mec_ahe_sa341h [20min Delayed Spawn]
1x mec_jet_mig29 [20min Delayed Spawn]
1x mec_jet_su25a [20min Delayed Spawn]

Note: this is also not bothering to list any of the trucks, jeeps, aa etc in the map like I did with the Falklands...

Basically to summarise, out of 64 players (32 a side):
The US will commonly have around 14 players in vehicles, with a max, assuming that all assets have spawned, none have been destroyed, with a max of 32 players in vehicles. (excluding passengers, jeeps and trucks, AA guns etc)
The MEC will also commonly have around 14 players in vehicles, with a max, assuming that all the assets have spawned and none destroyed, with a max of also 32 players in vehicles (excluding passengers, jeeps and trucks, AA guns etc)

Now so to compare, common amount of players in vehicles:
Falklands GB: 7
Falklands Arg: 7
Kashan US: 14
Kashan MEC: 14

Max amount of players in vehicles (excluding passengers, jeeps, trucks etc):
Falklands GB: 14
Falklands Arg: 9
Kashan US: 32
Kashan MEC: 32

Kashan has double the amount of common players in vehicles, in fact, 1/2 of the server and in its max, waaay over double the amount that the Falklands has, in fact, a slot for every single player in the server as a driver/gunner/pilot...
And basically any other 4km map in PR is pretty much the same story...

Also before anyone comes out with the argument of "The Falklands being 8kms means that the ground combat is waay more spread out", the ground combat is focused into a 3km by 2km area, which is basically the same as a normal 4km map.
Here is the Falklands minimap, with the Kashan minimap overlayed over the NE Falklands where all the ground combat is, and as you can see, and you can see, really nothing different in terms of ground combat area...

I can understand why people don't like the map but it isn't for this reason, since it's invalid

Old 2017-11-07, 21:48   #6
Lugi

Quote:
I take it you mean 4 Inf squads between both teams? If so, that seriously isn't the case and The Falklands is the most infantry heavy map, with jets on it, other than Soul Rebel.

To quote an old post, and while the assets are a little out of date it is still pretty much the same setup, other than now on AAS64 your not playing both the North and South routes at the same time and only either North or South so even less of the map is in play for ground forces:

I can understand why people don't like the map but it isn't for this reason, since it's invalid
Kashan is frequently played because its an assetwhore wet dream. For inf its mostly boring cause all you can do is clear out bunkers.

Also personally the thing that makes me never want to play Falklands again is that it is such a big map, yet you dont get a scope or binos which makes you basically blind.
Old 2017-11-07, 21:55   #7
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ye, The Irons only, combined with such a big VD is a big turnoff for many, although some do prefer the no-scope gameplay.

Old 2017-11-07, 22:35   #8
Lugi

Quote:
Ye, The Irons only, combined with such a big VD is a big turnoff for many, although some do prefer the no-scope gameplay.
To actually enjoy opticless gameplay there needs to be a specific kind of map - a one that most engages are from around 25 meters, because further than that ironsights are just a liability and lose to scopes every time. So we have maps like Ia Drang and Grozny where ironsights work just fine. But for vast, open maps - just no.

An intermediate solution to make map a bit more popular would be to include binoculars into the kits - they actually give a lot of situational awarness when you can see the things you are supposed to see, not only a couple of pixels.
Old 2017-11-12, 20:21   #9
Heavy Death

Btw Rhino, was the western island never fought over?
Old 2017-11-12, 20:25   #10
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Death View Post
Btw Rhino, was the western island never fought over?
No main forces were ever fighting there, only the odd SF fight etc and POW camps etc, all the main fighting was on the NE island.

Tags
anymore, map, played