project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
09 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2022-02-13, 18:20   #1
WingWalker
Default Limit Releases of Maps

Have the DEVs thought about releasing less maps per release, but doing relases more often where the maps change?

I'm actually sick of this collection of maps that we never get to play, for whatever reason you think that is.

I played Masirah the other day, it is a great map, with a nice variety of fighting areas. Then I realized that I've only played it maybe once before, ever.

There are really so many maps that you hardly get to see one you really want, and if you do, its all new to you still and you don't really know what is where yet.
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-14, 03:33   #2
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

Default Re: Limit Releases of Maps

I agree with this. There are 68 maps. I play regularly and some maps it has been over a month since I have played, so for people who don't played regularly I doubt they have seen even half of these maps. I understand server population dictates this a lot, but damn I want to play these maps people have worked hard on. Newer maps generally get better and better, but some don't get played as much as they should past the first month of release.

Putting 15 maps in rotation at a time for two-three weeks at a time, then releasing an update with 15 different maps for 2-3 weeks until all maps have been played. Then start a new rotation with new/updated maps and content or something. Most video games like Squad, Hell Let Loose, BF only play a maximum of 10 maps, most even less. I would gladly be limited to 15 maps if it meant no longer playing Fallujah or Muttrah or Khamisiya (all great maps!) almost every play session. Militia Fortress on Fool's Road is such a fun flag to fight over and I think everyone should get to do that. It is the only structure of its kind in PR and I bet fewer than 15% of the player base has ever been in a situation where they get to fight over it.

15 maps in rotation every 3 weeks. Five INS maps, five 2k maps, three 4k+, two 1k maps. Skirmish/gun game maps all fair game for seeding.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
BigBigMonkeyMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-14, 08:38   #3
InfantryGamer42

I do not think you need to force this with updates. Servers and there administration are more then capable of selecting 15-20 map rotations every two to three weeks. This should be server policy, not game policy.
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-14, 12:14   #4
WingWalker

I would like to know from a DEV though how much of a workload this idea would be, is it at least practical and not a problem to rotate map packs, or would it require so much time that it would drag down the team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
Servers and there administration are more then capable of selecting 15-20 map rotations every two to three weeks.
Since when?

The server/s are the reason that you never see certain maps. They have their polices or standards they fallow.

If there were more than a few servers and they ran a variety of maps, it might be a different story.
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-14, 12:35   #5
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

The amount of work would be annoying for both the DEV team and the admins that have to reset their map lists. I agree with InfantryGamer that this is better done as a server/community thing. In the past we had servers that ran fixed map lists at least once a week. That would probably be a good start to get going.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-14, 16:24   #6
Coalz101

Yeah, I don't think less maps will make us play the same maps more...I'd rather quit at that point if the gameplay on those maps weren't up to my personal PR standards.
I think you also failed to realize that whenever there is a new map, it gains alot of traction compared to updates on old maps. Look at Kassel for example it still gets played alot months after release alongside Falcon, Carentan, Thunder etc. Those maps all have great gameplay compared to others like (AAS SPECIFICALLY, INS is fine) Ras el Masri, Outpost, Merville, Brecourt (To an extent, it needs a layer like Carentan LRG), Masirah (To an extent aswell, half of the map feels wasted).
Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-14, 19:16   #7
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

I didn't convey my reasoning for wanting it to be developer/game side rather than just server side. If it was server admin side, sure a HOG admin would make a post here, on their forums as well and all the current players would see it. They would probably do a green text post during an actual round. But if it was developer side, anyone coming to realitymod.com website would see something enticing on the home page like "New PR map season release in 3 weeks" or some shit like that with a countdown idk. It is proven that the player-base grows (at least temporarily) every time there is a new release.

Different maps feature different factions/weapons/vehicles as well so this could be bundled up as well. Maybe no maps with Germany as their primary blufor faction until the next release. This creates excitement and makes people want to come back and see what is new. No new content even has to be created necessarily, but this would put less pressure on Devs to release a single update with a ton of new content. If one of you guys (Devs) wants to add a new weapon or vehicle variant, it wouldn't seem unusual or a waste to include it in a small update. But if nothing new is created, the simple change of map rotation would create this effect of new content.

Yes server admins are capable of making game changing server rules, Ex. the HOG experiment with making DoD fair game to shoot into/out of. But if it were a top-down decision and change, more players would come in necessitating additional servers in other places.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
Old 2022-02-14, 20:56   #8
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWalker View Post
Since when?
Since forever.

Quote:
The server/s are the reason that you never see certain maps. They have their polices or standards they fallow.
Ah, we will completely disagree on that point, as servers play what people like. Reason why we never see certain maps is playerbase which on one side would play INS 24/7, while on other side would play Khamy 24/7. Of course while statement is exaggeration, point is that maps are usually less played for reason. They either have high skill (or teamwork) requirement to be played, they are unbalanced for some reason (map layer, assets etc.), they are 1km map (which usually do not play greatest on full server imo), they are just unenjoyable from gameplay perspective etc.

Quote:
If there were more than a few servers and they ran a variety of maps, it might be a different story.
Maybe, maybe not. If servers would go with 15-20 map rotations, DEVs would also need to use downtime to fix issues that pop up with those maps while in rotations. And those issue have potential to cause uproar in community (specially combined with map selection for rotation). And that leads us to important question, how would maps be selected?
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-14, 23:20   #9
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

I would trust the developers to pick the maps. A rough breakdown of maps by size alone is this (INS are those maps played as INS rounds instead of AAS the majority of the time and those with only INS layers):

4k+ = 29% (20 maps)
2k = 41% (28 maps)
1k = 12% (8 maps)
INS = 18% (12 maps)

They can be broken down any other number of ways, such as by era (historical vs. modern), by primary factions, win rates by certain sides using https://prstats.tk/ data I think, presence of jets, things like that. I enjoy most maps, so for me the only really important metric is map size. We are also forgetting that each map has multiple layers, factions, and flag layouts. The Khamisiyah layer where MEC is already stuck at Al-Khadir sucks and plays differently than the one where MEC controls the bunkers area. 15 maps for 3-4 weeks is still a huge amount of gameplay variety.

Also maybe people dislike certain maps because they have only played them twice and got steamrolled both times, so playing a map more often could get more people to like it with an increased sample size of rounds played on that map.

Old 2022-02-15, 15:24   #10
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalz101 View Post
Look at Kassel for example it still gets played alot months after release
It was released a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBigMonkeyMan View Post
The Khamisiyah layer where MEC is already stuck at Al-Khadir sucks and plays differently than the one where MEC controls the bunkers area.
Khami was changed last month, too.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote