project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2016-07-08, 07:19   #1
CG-Delta
Supporting Member

Post MRADs on binoculars

MRADs on binoculars
PR:BF2 v1.3.9.0 - 08 July 2016
Update: PR:BF2 v1.4.4.0 - 23 December 2016

(TL/DR: see third picture; says it all.)
I was playing on Lashkar Valley when I descided that I'd finally use my binoculars to range a target for a fellow grenadier squad mate.
Target height (including boots and helmet); say 1.8 meters. About 5 milliradians high. 1,8 m/5 MRADs = 0,36 km. That was some useless shit I got there. Looking at the map the target was rather 550m+ away.

Test set-up
So I went to a local server to have a look at it and give some feedback to the developers. On the map "TEST AIRFIELD" (which has great view distance BTW) I placed an Avenger HMMWV and Stormer (AAV) in front of each other, leaving exactly 10 meters from the front of the HMMWV to the back of the AAV using 'squad leader 3D markers' (like 'build').

After that I moved 1000 meters, 90 degrees off the vehicles to look at them with binoculars. Distance is measured from the map using grid lines and not the 50-meter-interval SL-marks. Standing there, looking west and lining the coordinate system up with the vehicles; this is what I saw.

Back-ground
Just briefly going over what that big numbery thingy shows, so we are on the same page, without going too much into what milli-radians (MRADs) are. The numbers represent *10 MRADs. So the upper-most number means 70 MRADs, and the bunker is about 40 MRADs left of the Hesco compound.
1 MRAD, 1000 meters away represent 1 meter. (That's what it's based on) 10 MRADs (like from 0 to 1 in the binoculars) should be 10 meters.

The issue
That is clearly not the case with these binoculars. In fact, this shows that the vehicles are 590 m away while they're actually 1000 m away.
The yellow line represent 10 actual meters in-game. The blue line which should be 10 MRADs, should line up perfectly with the yellow line. To make this coordinate system work, the coordinate system needs to be scaled up. By mesuring a bit I think there might just be room for it on the screen.
An alternative is to decrease the zoom (but I love this amazing zoom). That will also be a harder way to solve the problem I think.
I mesured that; to make the blue line match the yellow, you'd have to increase the horizontal scale's length by a factor 1.77. However note the red lines which indicate that, the distance between the coordinate-lines are not persistent from 0-1 and 1-2; so the whole picture should not just be scaled up.

Thoughts I made, should you decide to scale up the overlay-image (getting a bit too technical): When it comes to vertical, it becomes more difficult (for me). Horizontal to vertical is not directly transmissible. Screen resolution alter the picture and maybe 1 m horizontal is not as long as 1 m vertical in the game.. To give a scale factor (like the x1.77) for the vertical axis, I'd need an object sufficiently high enough to make an accurate measurement and know its heigh. Preferable 10 m. SL-markers only measure horizontal distance so they cannot be used. I could define a soldier to be 1.8 m heigh then edit 5 and a half of them on top of each other and call that 10 m, but that'd be inaccurate.

I hope you'll make this cool little feature usable in the future, although the magic SL-markers often make it obsolete. The little things... the little things, are the greatness of PR.

Update! due to v1.4
"PR:BF2 v1.4.0.0 Changelog" contains following line under "Weapons":
"Updated binoculars to have less zoom. Reduced officer binoculars to 8x and normal to 6x (From 10x)."
This is to a high extend, a fix to this thread that I have made. I suggested either grid size up-scale or zoom decrease. Zoom has now been decreased and the MRADs are near spot on now. I have no idea if this binocular update in any way was inspired by my thread, but thank you very much anyway.

(Picture recreated in v1.4.4.0 with same condition as the above)
The vehicles are supposed to fit perfectly between the lines. That's quite close now. Measuring between 1 and 2 (and alike) I calculate a distance of 1052m. When measuring from centre (origo) to 1 I get 909m. It's most accurate to not measure from centre, but either results are more accurate than I'd be able to estimate by eye. I'd say that the MRADs has now become successfully useful.
Also the GTLD (officer/spotter binocular) has been made a useful range-finder now, as you can now get the range to the laser mark and see it for more than a split second. It is accurate as fuck down to the meter.
Last edited by CG-Delta; 2017-08-18 at 11:34.. Reason: 1.4 update
Old 2016-07-08, 19:57   #2
DzCrow

Default Re: MRADs on binoculars

to spot with binoculars aim with a bit - nmber 3 that the center of it maybe like 2.8
DzCrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 02:41   #3
BlackGus

BlackGus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 14:00   #4
CG-Delta
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DzCrow View Post
to spot with binoculars aim with a bit - nmber 3 that the center of it maybe like 2.8
I don't think you read my post. It has noting to do with placing markers. But yes that is about the center of your screen (-0.1;2.7) if you as a SL want to set an accurate marker somewhere. Or you can just hold q to see where the center of your screen is.
Last edited by CG-Delta; 2016-07-11 at 21:17..
Old 2016-07-09, 18:17   #5
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

There currently is no plan to get these markers working on the binocs or any other scope (a lot have similar). It is mostly a trial and error task that requires changes to texture and sometimes even model.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 18:30   #6
DzCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG-Delta View Post
I don't think you read my post. It has noting to do with placing markers. But yes that is about the center of your screen (-0.2;2.7) if you as a SL want to set an accurate marker somewhere. Or you can just hold q to see where the center of your screen is.
well shit my bad
DzCrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 23:20   #7
CG-Delta
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
There currently is no plan to get these markers working on the binocs or any other scope (a lot have similar). It is mostly a trial and error task that requires changes to texture and sometimes even model.
Thanks for the answer.
CG-Delta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 14:29   #8
Deep Thought

Target in meters x 1000 = Distance in meters
Number of lines

Now I can assume as OP that a PR character is 1,8 meters tall. The dude in the first picture is also about half a line tall through OPs binoculars.

1,8 x 1000 = 3600 meters

OK WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG-Delta View Post
That was some useless shit I got there.

As OP hinted at there is something really wrong here. I know the formula works so it would have to be one of the inputs that are off, and yes, we did just guess the target height so let's start there.

OP by the use of the map estimates the target to be ~550 meters away, so let's use that to figure out how tall that character model is if the range really is 550 meters.

So our little fella seems to only be 0,275 meters tall.

I did fire up test airfield and line up a PR character model so it fits nicely in between two of my binocular lines. I then used a GTLD to get a some what accurate reading on the range, 262 meters...

That would make the character model 0,262 meters tall(ish).

0,262 x 1000 = 524 meters

Not far off OP!

This is also the same for the gb and ch sniper rifles on the first zoom, 2nd zoom I think is a x3 from the first one so just divide number of mildots or lines on 3, seemed to be fairly accurate.

Oh and remember, inclined fire, especially with 40mm, tend to magically increase your range.

DISCLAIMER: Different screen and in game video ratios may yield different numbers, but the way you find them should still be the same.
Deep Thought is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 17:58   #9
Wing Walker

I don't think any DEVs intended for the reticles in the PR-optics to be actually used for range estimation.

This is not real world physics, this is PR-fizics.

The PR-Sniper rifles have a point blank range of 600m, meaning center of the cross hairs is the hitting out to 600m.

On most maps you can't see past something like 450m or 550m anyway, so range estimation doesn't really matter.

If you really want an indicator of range the only constant would be the height and width of the soldier in a particular rifle's scope, at a certain range.

So you should put your test soldier at 625m or 650m and note the dimensions of the soldier compared to your reticle, so in game you will know when you need to aim above the head.

Put your test soldier next to some structure so you can GLTD/range finde it easier.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 14:14   #10
Deep Thought

I am sorry if I'm being dumb here Walker, but did you even read OPs post?
Deep Thought is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
binoculars, mill, mrad, mrads, ranging