project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
03 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2013-05-14, 22:46   #1
Spook
Supporting Member

Default PR Noise-Problem Solution

Updated for 1.6! Cleaned up irrelevant information, fixed links.

So this is a quick tutorial I did for the hotkey settings and tools I am using to solve the problem with the Ingame noise.

Like getting forced to ALT+TAB and lower the game sound while driving a vehicle to be able to understand other people in mumble or Teamspeak....and then being forced to alt+tab and increase the sound again when you are in a situation with enemies close by, but not being able to hear their footsteps and what not because you lowered the game sound when you were in the truck/chopper before.

Thanks to Prevtzer for initially coming up with the tools and giving me the idea for this. And thanks to Senshi for giving the script a usability revamp.

It may look like a lot of stuff to do, but it is actually really easy and done in a couple of minutes and it is worth it. I just wrote it very detailed so people will not have that much questions.

First of all you need to have Win7 or up. I do not know if it works with Vista.
Will not work with XP!

Download and extract this file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hxg...g2hvwuZIgAbLJz
Password: PR

(I passworded the archive, hoping this will prevent Google from falsely detecting a virus in the nircmd.exe and blocking the download.)

Put the PRVolume folder anywhere you like. I prefer the BF2 folder so I know where to find it later.

The nircmd.exe inside of it is a utility that allows us to perform windows commands and actions without using the user interfaces.

Install AutoHotkey by downloading the latest version from AutoHotkey)

This tool allows us to bind the nircmd commands to any hotkey we want.

Be aware that Anti-Cheat systems in a lot of other games nowadays consider Autohotkey as a cheat and might kick you from a game. It can be used to create no-recoil macros etc. You probably won't be banned, just kicked from the game and told to turn it off. Normally the script is designed to automatically close itself when PR closes, just having Autohotkey installed is not a problem. Its just when an instance of Autohotkey is running the AC might trigger a false alarm, so make sure the auto-close of the script works properly.

Edit the settings.ini in the folder "PRVolume" and replace the PR Game path and the path to the nircmd files with your own.

This starts up PR as soon as you execute the script. You will not have to first open the script and then start PR. You will just need to execute the script and PR will start. Also when you close the game, the script will automatically close itself.

Execute the "PRVolumeStd.ahk" script by double-left-clicking it. Or press right-click -> Compile Script to create an executable.

Change Volume in the Mumble settings to 70%. Teamspeak to +0.0dB in its settings. Set it higher if needed. I have it at +8dB.
Change PR volume settings ingame to 100%.

Now press Left-Windows Button + 1 or 2 or 3 or 4. If you Alt+Tab and watch at your Volume Mixer in Windows, you will see the volume bars change their position to your configuration.

Try it out and look if you like my settings. I use

LWin+1 for normal combat.
LWin+2 for normal combat with vehicles closeby (increased TS and Mumble volume).
LWin+3 for travelling in vehicles (low game volume, high TS and Mumble volume)
LWin+4 for "Danger Close" (very low TS and Mumble volume so you can fully focus on your surrounding sounds when enemies are very close to you.)

If you like my settings, keep them. But you can change it anyway you like. Just edit the "PRVolumeStd.ahk" script. You will see the different presets and the volume numbers at the end of each referenced process.

1.0 means 100% of the master volume. So if you put your master volume to 80%, the application will be at 80% as well. 0.4 would make the application go to 40%. If you put Master volume to 100%, 0.5 would make it go to 50% of course.

So simply play around with the settings. Save the script before closing it and right click on the tray icon again and choose "Reload This script", to apply the new saved changes.

If not satisfied, open up again and change it again.

You can also add more hotkeys for more modes, or reduce them. Just copy and paste one of your modes in the script and edit the values and the hotkeys.

You can also replace the TeamSpeak process with Discord or add further processes.

The hotkeys can be changed as well. They are defined at the beginning of every "mode", in this case: "#1::"
# is the left windows key, and 1 stands for the number key. Just look up the other key commands up here List of Keys and Mouse/Joystick Buttons for Hotkeys and Macros and do your own hotkeys if you do not like mine.

Last edited by Spook; 2021-04-25 at 15:11..
Old 2013-05-14, 23:16   #2
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Default Re: PR Noise-Problem Solution

Awesome! This hopefully will change my ongoing deafness when being in a helo or APC!
Thanks for making this tutorial

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 00:35   #3
Gracler

Excellent idea.

I remember 1 guy screaming at everyone to shut up in squad-mumble because he was in a close encounter and it disturbed him, although this is more for being around vehicles, i wonder if there is a way to customize mumble in a way that incoming squad-voice can be changed individually from incoming proximity voice. In a real life situation you would be able to turn up or down your radio so if this feature doesn't exist it would be nice if someone could "fix" it.

A "filter" added onto "Squad-leader" chat that makes it sound like a radio so you could tell that it isn't local would be even more epicness.
Last edited by Gracler; 2013-05-15 at 04:43..
Old 2013-05-15, 00:56   #4
KiloJules

Thank you very much! Will test/setup tomorrow and see how it goes in-game.
KiloJules is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 12:32   #5
SAM609

Did you test it in punkbuster enabled servers ??!
Quote:
Important AutoHotkey note: Games utilizing PunkBuster as an anti-cheat measure may mistakenly interpret AutoHotkey as illegal and as such will automatically kick you from any respective servers. Battlefield 3 is the most notable example.
Does it work now ??!
SAM609 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 12:39   #6
WeeD-KilleR
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM609 View Post
Did you test it in punkbuster enabled servers ??!

Does it work now ??!
It's a setting server admin can choose to activate. I can't name one PR server that has this PB setting activated. At least I am not getting kicked with my G15 makro software running.

WeeD-KilleR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 13:21   #7
Spook
Supporting Member

No, PB is not kicking for that in PR.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 16:24   #8
KiloJules

Perfectly explained, works like a charm and is very easy to setup and use. Thanks again!

p.s. it also works to start any other PR-related software with this script, so only 1 double click for me in the future - YAY!
KiloJules is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 19:39   #9
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

I'm going to have to try this. I see this being especially helpful inside loud vehicles and while playing the night version of Normandy. Those U.S. troop planes are ridiculously loud.

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 21:04   #10
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

have you ever thought of also creating a vst host and using a plugin to duck? thats what I do.

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
noiseproblem, solution