project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Tales from the Front Share your in-game experiences playing PR:BF2.

Old 2023-09-21, 14:36   #1
Grump/Gump.45
Exclamation (Video)3 men up a tree, 1 man per tree. 20+ kills

On Brecourt Assault the allies attacked the trenches, they kill anybody who is on the ground. So that is why I am up a tree, so were 2 other guys.

Its like playing dead, where you get to observe the behavior of the enemy in a controlled setting before you kill them. Only you have your weapon ready, you are not dangerously next to them on the ground where popping up to kill them is dangerous. Sitting there too long might have you found out which still applies to trees, but you last longer.

The method is breacher puts everyone up a tree, breacher is last man up a tree. Get up the tree, there are 2 types of trees the 4 branch shorter type I am on with 2 branch platforms, then the slighter taller less stable platform trees the machine gunner and LAT panzerfaust is on.

Slow the video down and you will see the difficulty of these platforms instability, you cannot move on these branches in any type of way, keep left hand away from WASD controls so breacher doesn't need to come out of his tree putting you up one.

Don't throw grenades below each other, wait for enemy to walk below or take minimal shots on who you can see in distance through leaf gaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgIeBA5QvA&t=290s

Can we just bind some unused button to be "Tree Climb"? Is is possible to code certain trees, the 2 types you see used here in the video to be read as a rope, but a different rope that responds to the I or O keys?

Thank you DEVs for making a great game, only game in the world you can get up trees in, play dead and all with realistic kits and teamwork. One of the few that has flame thrower or napalm in it with multiple eras.

Can't wait for the Japanese, BTW the Vietnam maps have no trees you can climb, on Ia Drang all the branchy low trees have wierd yellow foliage and the rope can't go through it, its like a solid dome around the tips of the branches. The rope could get thrown higher for those very tall trees. More platforms added to trees randomly would be appreciated like the lone Ia Drang and few on Kozelsk.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-21, 16:39   #2
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: (Video)3 men up a tree, 1 man per tree. 20+ kills

Seems like some shiesty, exploitative, and dishonorable gameplay - but if playing dead or camping in trees to bushwhack players is the only way you can get kills and help your team, who can fault you? (well, I mean, I can... but that's just me - fairplay and teamwork are far more important to me than merely getting kills by any means in a video game)

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-22, 09:07   #3
puffkiller

All of this is related to tree col2?Taliban map is particularly prominent
Some leaves seem to be bulletproof
puffkiller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-23, 01:31   #4
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
Seems like some shiesty, exploitative, and dishonorable gameplay - but if playing dead or camping in trees to bushwhack players is the only way you can get kills and help your team, who can fault you? (well, I mean, I can... but that's just me - fairplay and teamwork are far more important to me than merely getting kills by any means in a video game)
War is supposed to be fair right? You can only last so long before getting pinched. The enemy came from the south and north side of the trench, you will notice everyone else who isn't up a tree is dead whether its enemy or friendly. Up close I have to worry about bushes, trenches then farther bushes.

No you can't climb a tree later when the enemy is already there, they will see you. I thought you only played COOP where you can't play dead, climb trees or use bushes because enemy already knows where you are.

If you have effects up to 100% you can hear exactly where shooting is coming from directionally in 3D
Old 2023-09-23, 16:39   #5
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
War is supposed to be fair right?
This isn't war, it's a video game. When you die, you respawn and continue. It is about points, not survival at any cost. Novel tricks are just that - you get kills by ambushing and tricking your enemy. If the only way you can get points is to employ such exploitative tactics, so be it. There is an entire team working to PTFO all the while, so I doubt it detracts much from the actual flow of the game. Don't get me wrong, guerilla tactics certainly have a place in such games to an extent, but for you it seems to be the standard go-to rule rather than a circumstantial exception on occasion, based on your many (long) posts praising yourself for your bushwhacking tactics.

"There was no honor in war, less in killing, and none in dying. But there was true dignity in how men comported themselves in battle. And there was always honor to be found in standing for a just cause and defending the defenseless."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
I thought you only played COOP
Nope.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-23, 17:02   #6
Grump/Gump.45

There was like 20 of them down there. This is my first time getting up in trees in months, I haven't played dead or tried to since the Operation Thunder video, 1 kill. Some guy said "I heard your whole squad got up trees and didn't last 5 minutes"

3 guys was less likely to mess up here. Most of my time is spent building giant 200-400 meter wide super FOBs.

You can only do these tactics on certain maps, Saaremma doesn't have the right trees for this, it would be different with each man up their own tree rope to slide down when enemy walks below.

Guerilla is standard, you don't sit there in engagements till you die, you minimize time spent on engagements to decrease chances of death. You shoot, you run, you watch where you shot from, they go to and look at where you shot from, then you kill them using your last spot as bait.

I think it was Mcbain on the MG34 up the tree, last man standing. You mean to tell me you would have jumped into the trench with 20 allies in it?