project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
25 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2021-07-11, 06:00   #1
[R-CON]​LangMaster
PR:BF2 Contributor

Question Vehicle Models Tips?

Hey there, i was thinking, i am a person that always needs to do something productive in the background and i recently got my self into blender, and not gonna lie i kinda quickly learned alot of stuff and managed to get some cool models from that, so after a while i've decided to try make something like a real life model of a vehicle possibly for a PR later on.

Since you wanna make something realistic as possible to the original real life model, i suppose you guys are gonna look for some kind of blue prints of the actual vehicle or do you just look at pictures of the vehicle and you slowly go from that ?

Also is there a possibility to extract the in game PR models ? so i could get a reference? because so far i made like a fictionary vehicles, this one bellow was meant for a game called Foxhole like a suggestion and i made a little cute model of a tank vehicle which took me like a week since i installed blender for a first time so i am pretty happy with that .

Since Foxhole also is taking inspiration from real WW2 vehicles i also put something together so you can see couple of vehicles inside this model.

LangMaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 06:37   #2
anantdeathhawk
Default Re: Vehicle Models Tips?

It's hard to believe, you learnt and made a model with such complexity in one week.
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 15:31   #3
Niki-Tret

That's great, but a problem is that there is no tools for Blender that would let you export your models into BF2 format at least that is what devs told me when I asked can I make models in Blender. This is what Rhino said to me: "I don't know of any tools to export directly from blender to BF2, but you could possibly model in blender then export to max, to then export to BF2, but that would be hard work and most likely create lots of errors."
Niki-Tret is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 16:07   #4
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki-Tret View Post
That's great, but a problem is that there is no tools for Blender that would let you export your models into BF2 format at least that is what devs told me when I asked can I make models in Blender. This is what Rhino said to me: "I don't know of any tools to export directly from blender to BF2, but you could possibly model in blender then export to max, to then export to BF2, but that would be hard work and most likely create lots of errors."
A lot of the Polish models in game got created in Blender, then exported to 3ds and exported. And that was even before newer 3ds versions became available for exporting, so only .obj worked for passing models between the programs. I assume with more modern 3ds and Blender versions the workflow could be rather simple.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 17:01   #5
[R-CON]​LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantdeathhawk View Post
It's hard to believe, you learnt and made a model with such complexity in one week.
I think i have an artist blood in my self, i learn programs very quickly and the amount of stuff you can do with just youtube tutorials is insane, i have literally made that thing in a week which i was really proud of my self because i always kept my self on making pixel arts.

I am mostly proud of the middle wheels because everyone was like how the hell did i do that and it was actually a pretty simple idea from me that i am still a bit laughing about.

It's a bit sad that i cannot export it straight from blender but good to know, i have 3Ds max installed since i was working on navmeshes on coop maps, i will keep working on the model on blender since the 3Ds is a bit pain for me.

The worst thing is gonna be textures for me i think i got into that part where i can plan the uv and stuff but i just cannot get my head over it making all the textures.

Old 2021-07-12, 18:02   #6
[R-CON]​LangMaster

Let it begin

Old 2021-07-12, 18:17   #7
Niki-Tret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
A lot of the Polish models in game got created in Blender, then exported to 3ds and exported. And that was even before newer 3ds versions became available for exporting, so only .obj worked for passing models between the programs. I assume with more modern 3ds and Blender versions the workflow could be rather simple.
That is nice to know since from my experience Blender is much more easier to work in than 3ds.
Niki-Tret is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 18:47   #8
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Just so you know, you do not have to learn to export yourself either. While it isnt that hard, it is not unusual for the artist not exporting the model himself. Just develop the way you are most comfortable and efficient even it makes the exporter hate you

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 22:15   #9
[R-DEV]​Hans_Strudel
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangMaster View Post
Also is there a possibility to extract the in game PR models ? so i could get a reference?
With Blender it would be a bit problematic, but there is also a program for observing BF2 Meshes
https://www.bytehazard.com/bfstuff/bfmeshview/
You will only need .bundledMesh files extracted from .zip archives to watch them.

As for model, i would reduce amount of faces on curvatures, normal map should compensate sharpness enough.

P.S. Does Foxhole focus on low details for vehicles? last time i was playing it (stopped when the heaviest vehicle was an APC), it was simple boxes )). Cool model though, is it highpoly?
Hans_Strudel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-12, 23:10   #10
[R-CON]​LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Strudel View Post
With Blender it would be a bit problematic, but there is also a program for observing BF2 Meshes
https://www.bytehazard.com/bfstuff/bfmeshview/
You will only need .bundledMesh files extracted from .zip archives to watch them.

As for model, i would reduce amount of faces on curvatures, normal map should compensate sharpness enough.

P.S. Does Foxhole focus on low details for vehicles? last time i was playing it (stopped when the heaviest vehicle was an APC), it was simple boxes )). Cool model though, is it highpoly?
They focus on kinda semi high models i am not sure, since you can watch the model only from top they dont do much alot on bottom but they have a vehicles around 30k triangles usually same as this one.