project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.7 Feedback Forum
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the minimap?
Bring the minimap back 123 28.21%
Do not bring the minimap back 277 63.53%
I don't care 36 8.26%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-01-02, 20:09   #1
Clypp

Default v0.7 Feedback - Minimap Removal

This thread is for discussion of the absence of the minimap. Please limit discussion to this topic, and refrain from discussing it elsewhere on the forums.

I feel the loss of the minimap is hurting the gameplay and individual experiences.

Minimap pros:
-A group of soldiers who train together daily learn, as any team does, who will be where at any given time. Unless you are in a hardcore clan, this is not the case and the minimap serves to give you this awareness.

-IRL you can identify people by facial, clothing or other characteristics. This is not the case in game and the minimap serves to assist in at least knowing who is in your squad.

-IRL you have more than 90 degrees of vision. This peripheral does wonders in helping you keep a sense of situational awareness. Until PR supports mutiple monitors for being this peripheral the minimap will serve to deliver some of this information.

-It is simple in real life to point to a location. Not so in PR. The minimap allows an easy replication of the effects.

-Improves squad cohesion, improves FoF identification.

Cons:
-Soldiers don't generally carry GPS units IRL and don't tape them to their helmet.

-4 square inches screen space occupied

Will update list as topic progresses.

ATTN PR TEAM: If you are on the PR team and personally do not care for the change but wish to show solidarity please vote for don't care. Maybe I shouldn't have made the poll public so you would not have to face the flack in restricted forums over your slight disagreement.

Also, if you are thinking the Devs know what they are doing it must be right then don't vote. That is not an independent thought and it screws with results.
Last edited by Masaq; 2008-01-06 at 18:01..
Old 2008-01-02, 20:14   #2
Lieutenant-FPS-Bob

I completely agree, if they added spotting and minimap back it would be perfect.
Old 2008-01-02, 20:28   #3
Engineer

Playing without the minimap is great, however it will suck if the SL doesnt have a mic. I still like this change, and I dont want the minimap to come back.
Old 2008-01-02, 20:30   #4
solodude23

I don't know..it requires more play for me. I do enjoy the removal of the minimap at times but I do have a bit of an uneasiness as well.

With such a small field of view and lack of realistic senses it can be very difficult at times. I haven't had any problems with teamkilling yet (I haven't teamkilled a single man) but the overall feeling of it can be a bit intimidating at times because I feel so limited compared to how I'd feel in real life.
Old 2008-01-02, 20:31   #5
M1126 Stryker
Banned

Removing the minimap and the squad leader spawn were two awful choices. Lets see if we can at least revert one of them.

Every soldier may not have a GPS in real life but you don't have a magic map displaying where all of your troops are either.
Old 2008-01-02, 20:31   #6
Sadist_Cain
Supporting Member

nah no way, not a chance in hell never ever ever. Having the best experience ever on pub servers without the minimap.

Starting to find that now squadmembers have all stopped going rambo because they can't see where everything is anymore, according to their magical gps that gives away enemy positions.

Tis brilliant to see gamers being scared FINALLY because they dont have a clue where anything is unless theyre communicating properly. and without comms then you are totally dependant on your SL. gives me tremendous satisfaction to hear the whining from the guy who "obviously knows better" :P after hes been shot.
Now the guys who run off alone have lost all confidence and are absolutly no use to say "ohh I've been shot, hes on my body" because we cant see where that is without looking at the map proper, which usually results in dying :P

Clanmembers are finding it hardest imo I've heard more whining from them than anyone.

This just requires massive adjustment, the devs better not cave in on this one.

Keep your eyes on squadmembers so you know where they all are. hang back and do not engage until authorized by the SL.

I was on fools road and I had two newbie pubbies asking me if they were allowed to go weapons free before firing :P:P

This new version is definately one the SLs should grab by the balls, as soon as I get my new graphics card I'm grabbing hold and not letting go! :P

Quote:
Every soldier may not have a GPS in real life but you don't have a magic map displaying where all of your troops are either.
Can everyone stop this crap of "ohhh but that isnt realistic eiither, niether's this..." GO PLAY VANILLA!!! theres plenty of other mods out there to give you the "shiney new toys!!!" fix

Great suggestion I said about removing friendlies from the minimap too, but I think thats for 0.9 :P I think challenging should be integrated, so you can have the "thunder?" "Flash!" scenario like we've all seen played out in Saving Private Ryan :P

Last edited by Sadist_Cain; 2008-01-02 at 20:45..
Old 2008-01-02, 20:33   #7
SiN|ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clypp View Post
I feel the loss of the minimap is hurting the gameplay and individual experiences.

Minimap pros:
-A group of soldiers who train together daily learn, as any team does, who will be where at any given time. Unless you are in a hardcore clan, this is not the case and the minimap serves to give you this awareness.
Stay closer, within visual range of your squad. This has always been a problem, people wander, myself included and when you had a mini map you had not reason to stay close to the squad, which let people get sloppy. Now you have to stay close, which is always better.

Quote:
-IRL you can identify people by facial, clothing or other characteristics. This is not the case in game and the minimap serves to assist in at least knowing who is in your squad.
Umm in BF2 your squad members are green, and if you are near them or anyone else their name tag should be visible, IE face recognition simulation.

Quote:
-IRL you have more than 90 degrees of vision. This peripheral does wonders in helping you keep a sense of situational awareness. Until PR supports mutiple monitors for being this peripheral the minimap will serve to deliver some of this information.
Not a reason worthy of needing a mini map.

Quote:
-It is simple in real life to point to a location. Not so in PR. The minimap allows an easy replication of the effects.
Question marks on a mini map are not that precise

Quote:
-Improves squad cohesion, improves FoF identification.
I disagree on the former and agree on the latter.
Old 2008-01-02, 20:39   #8
M1126 Stryker
Banned

The mini-map was no more unrealistic than the map itself. Removing it added nothing but more time pressing the M key.
Old 2008-01-02, 20:40   #9
Jagger

Voted nillus minimappus.
Old 2008-01-02, 20:40   #10
$kelet0r

Good riddance

Tags
feedback, minimap, removal, v07