project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2019-03-10, 14:24   #1
MajorIceman

Default How to do Alpha textures on a Static Mesh

Hi there

Hopefully you can help, I'm having trouble adding a Alpha Texture to a Static mesh

I have a very simple model and want to apply a slight alpha to it so that it is partly see through but i cant see to get it to work.

Can you offer any advice please on this.

I remember years ago i had to do it a a bundlemesh instead so i have swapped it over to a Bundlemesh but i cant get it to export.

any advice would be great

Cheres
MajorIceman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-10, 14:35   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: How to do Alpha textures on a Static Mesh

Staticmeshes can't have semi-transparent faces/textures. Any actual glass you see on a static building is, in fact, a bundlemesh, added on as a child to the main mesh, as per the glass windows of this shed: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86683

This might help: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=140159

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-11, 11:51   #3
MajorIceman

Thanks for that was very helpful i know i did it before but couldnt hundred percent remember and then couldnt export what i had to as a bundlemesh but as it was simple just recreated it and then exported fine and works just how i wanted it to

Can i ask 1 more question though i need to make this object shine its the Event Horizon of the Stargate so its almost like water i have it looking pretty good but now i have added a alpha channel to it the brightness has dropped down can you suggest the best form of shader to use as i always get confused with the correct layout was thinking of but not sure if the layout is correct ColorMapGloss |Alpha| would that work? or is there a better layout out or combination to use these
Old 2019-03-11, 14:57   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

To have it shine you're probably better off making a separate glow object to go with it or something as per that other thread you made. The "gloss" part of the shader technique is just the spec map, which will only reflect sun and other lights when they are at an angle to reflect them so isn't really what you want. Also from what I recall you couldn't see through the puddle?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-11, 15:41   #5
MajorIceman

i think in the original film you could and i think there was some bits in the show where you saw it from behind the puddle and could see through on to the ramp, would love to animate the puddle so it waves a bit but wouldn't even know where to start with that.

Havent modded BF2 for so long we have decided to pick up and finish it but improve all the content we have so looking to improve the gate and other things