project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2023-04-06, 11:11   #1
-Lee

Default Squad Leading on a TKL keyboard

So I've been getting some more experience as a new PR player and I would like to start leading, the problem being my keyboard is TKL, meaning I have no numpad to talk to other squad leaders. I tried using the 9 keys above the arrows, putting all 9 leaders there but in the game those keys are hard bind to do other stuff, so that didn't work. I was thinking about using the function keys but I guess that could bother me later on vehicles. Other squad leaders with TKL keyboard, how do you do it?
-Lee is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-06, 15:12   #2
anantdeathhawk
Default Re: Squad Leading on a TKL keyboard

Get a proper RGB keyboard with Numpad and media keys.
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-06, 18:44   #3
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

There are little apps out there that can bind keys to other keys. That could work perhaps?

Tools like SharpKeys or alternatives can perhaps do what you want.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-06, 19:21   #4
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Windows Powertoys also offer key rebinding, but you probably wont even need that. Mumble allows binding modifier (e.g. Ctrl) + key. That way you can reuse some keys. Just remember that PR itself will still use those keys despite the modifier, so I do not suggest using 1-9 or F keys for those (unless you unbind the PR functions).
Also make sure to unbind the modifier key from PR controls.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-07, 18:55   #5
SemlerPDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lee View Post
... I have no numpad to talk to other squad leaders.
You can purchase a 10-key USB keypad for less than $20 - would be the cheapest way to get access to these controls without replacing your current keyboard for one with attached 10-key numpad.

This is just one example, to show you that this gear is available and highly affordable:
https://www.amazon.com/Backlit-Numer...dp/B09P85XBV3/

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-07, 20:02   #6
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
So I've been getting some more experience as a new PR player and I would like to start leading, the problem being my keyboard is TKL, meaning I have no numpad to talk to other squad leaders. I tried using the 9 keys above the arrows, putting all 9 leaders there but in the game those keys are hard bind to do other stuff, so that didn't work. I was thinking about using the function keys but I guess that could bother me later on vehicles. Other squad leaders with TKL keyboard, how do you do it?
Use F1 through F10 to talk to the SLs. Assign the vehicle cycle key and vehicle seats 1-3 to something of your choice. During gameplay, you're NOT going to use the vehicles too much, and the only vehicle seats you need to access directly are 1-3 when doing assets.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-07, 20:23   #7
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

You actually only need F8 key as that cycles through all open seats.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-08, 02:27   #8
-Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
You actually only need F8 key as that cycles through all open seats.
Well... I tested it and it doesn't, unfortunately it only cycles through the seats after the number 8, if it cycled through every seat that would've been an easy fix. I binded f1 through f9 for squad leads and f10 f11 f12 - = backspace for seats 1-6, I think that's an acceptable solution so far.
Old 2023-04-08, 08:00   #9
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Well... I tested it and it doesn't, unfortunately it only cycles through the seats after the number 8, if it cycled through every seat that would've been an easy fix. I binded f1 through f9 for squad leads and f10 f11 f12 - = backspace for seats 1-6, I think that's an acceptable solution so far.
It searches upwards from your current seat number until it finds an empty seat, doing a full cycle of all seats. There's nothing special in that code about seats above 8.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-10, 11:15   #10
-Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
It searches upwards from your current seat number until it finds an empty seat, doing a full cycle of all seats. There's nothing special in that code about seats above 8.
When I tested it offline it didn't though, I was in a humvee and it went from seat 1 straight to the last seat (I think it was 5 or 6) I kept pressing the cycle seats bind but nothing happened. Returning to seat 1 and pressing it again did the same.

Tags
need suggestions, squad leading, tips, tkl keyboard