Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2007-05-02, 09:15   #1
MadTommy
Supporting Member
Default CPU upgrade advice needed

I’m running on:
Mobo is a K8 Triton series (GA-K8NSC)
AMD64 3500+ (2.2 GHz) CPU (which is a 939 socket type)
2 GB RAM
ATI x800pro all-in-wonder (256RAM - AGP)
SB x-Fi

PR runs good with a mixture of High and Meduim settings with no AA.
But i'm greedy, i love it all on High, but it just puts too much strain on my rig = too much lag.

I was thinking my CPU might be the slowest thing (bottleneck) in my system, what do you think?

To upgrade my CPU, I’m being told by my local shop, I’ll have to upgrade pretty much everything; Mobo, CPU, RAM and my graphics, as its AGP.
I’m not upgrading the lot… just not worth it.

Can anyone help me identify a CPU I can possibly upgrade to? Or am I going in the wrong direction. I was hoping to ram a 4 Ghz CPU into my mobo. :/

I’m finding it all very confusing at the mo. Every 6 months EVERYTHING changes, I’m think I’m getting too old to keep up! Any help much appreciated.
Old 2007-05-02, 12:29   #2
loyalguard

Personally, I would recommend a more comprehensive upgrade but if you only want to go CPU then according to the mobo manufacturer, your mobo should be compataible with any AMD Athlon64 FX/ 64 processor including the X2 series (you can see the full list from the link below:

Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939.

If you look at offerings from Newegg, this seems to be the best processor on the compatability list:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX - Retail .

I know it is harder to find AGP video cards, but have you considered upgrading your card instead of your CPU?
Old 2007-05-02, 20:21   #3
MadTommy
Supporting Member

Thanks man, you're a star!

I had trouble digging this info up.

Yeah i think a full upgrade will have to wait. I was hoping to find a cheap CPU. As far as the graphics card, well thats always the most expensive, so i'll get that when i do a full upgrade.

Thanks for that list.. just what i needed.
Old 2007-05-02, 20:28   #4
MadTommy
Supporting Member

This looks a goodie, on ebay for £60 / $110,

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ 4.4 GHZ 1MB CACHE 939 DUAL CORE

This should give me a decent boost in performance, no?
Does dual core mean twice the performance, does BF2 utilise it fully?

( i always thought dual core was two CPUs on one mobo, but it appears its a single CPU with a dual core , god i feel 5 years behind things )
Last edited by MadTommy; 2007-05-02 at 20:39..
Old 2007-05-10, 18:28   #5
Long Bow

Bump. The Dual cores are not really that great for gaming yet. Some games are taking advantage of it now but BF2 is not one of them (surprised EA didn't work hard to patch this in

The 4.4 GHz I assume is taking the 2.2GHz and adding them? Unfortunately it doesn't really work that way here. Because the game isn't designed for dual core it will run better on a higher clocked single core then a lower clocked dual core. I would suggest going to extremeoverclocking.com and learn how to do some OC'ing. You could up your CPU speed a bit and get some more life out of it.

BF2 is more video card intensive then CPU. I would look at finding a higher end AGP card. You will see more performance from that then the CPU upgrade.

Tags
advice, cpu, needed, upgrade