project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-11-15, 17:34   #1
GRB

Exclamation Vehicle Speeds: Possible Realism Experience Enhancement.

Ok, one of the things I've noticed that makes BF2 such a fast paced arcadey feel is simple. The vehicles initial accelleration speeds are all much too fast, for the most part anyways. The DPVs and transports arent bad.. Top speeds aren't how they should be either..

First, I want to point out some vehicle accelleration speeds.

M1A2- 0-20mph in 7seconds. (7.2 to be exact.) That's pretty slow if you ask me.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/m1-specs.htm

I think this is very important to getting the realism experience.

It will definatly make people think twice about doing things they are used to. For example, I see people trying to dodge rockets all the time by backing up and going forward really fast. That should never be an option. Not only should it not happen but usually it never works, so what's the point? Plus it just looks goofy to see this big 67ton vehicle take off like a bat out of hell...Just not right..lol.

With that said, most of the other tanks have a similar accelleration speed. Logically, the engine with the most power is going to either have more torque or accelleration..

HMMWVs and VODNIKs have a decent accelleration setup in PR. The rest of the vehicles its all about the top speeds.

Now the APC accelleration speeds are very similar to light vehicles such as the HMMWV and the VODNIK. However, most APCs have higher top speeds.

Ok, now I'de like to focus on top speeds.

The M1A2 reaches speeds of about 42mph. Now currently in the game, im not convinced im doing 42 mph when i have the throttle opened up on the M1. Doing that speed should be noticeable in the tank.

To get to the point, I think the top speed needs to be increased on the M1A2.

Now the T-90 can only reach top speeds of around 32-35mph. However, the T-90 has more torque and accelleration.

I think this difference in the tanks should be more visible.

Ok, now, the APCs in game do get goin pretty fast. However, statistics state they can reach speeds of 60mph. Given that information, im definatly not convinced im doing 60mph at full throttle in game. The only time I've experienced speed like that is going downhill..These vehicles should be able to do that on relatively flat roads.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...v-25-specs.htm

The HMMWV and VODNIKs are capable of about 50mph. Thats SLOWER than the APCs top speed. Bottom line, APCs should be faster than the light vehicles. But again, im still not convinced im doing 50mph in a HMMWV at full throttle..

Now the DPVs are the fastest land vehicles in the game. They can reach speeds of 60mph+...It does not feel like im doing 60mph in those things at full throttle.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ground/dpv.htm

Basically I feel a lot of the top speeds should be increased and the accellerations need to be corrected on all land vehicles. It will add to the realism experience that much more. Its something thats rather simple in my opinion.

Who knows, maybe some US Troops will crash thier HMMWVs from going too fast and turning..LOL..(Iraq..)Thats pretty realistic.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by GRB; 2005-11-15 at 17:47..
Old 2005-11-15, 18:00   #2
BlakeJr
Retired PR Developer

Some good point there. Don't really know how far we can push the BF2 engine.
I DO know for a fact that another mod was fooling around with manual gearshifting for tanks for the very same reason that you mentioned.
That mod didn't get it to work before the mod itself went defunct. But it was a good idea...

{ pretty sig removed construction on new one has not begun }
... yet ...
BlakeJr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-15, 18:09   #3
GRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]BlakeJr
Some good point there. Don't really know how far we can push the BF2 engine.
I DO know for a fact that another mod was fooling around with manual gearshifting for tanks for the very same reason that you mentioned.
That mod didn't get it to work before the mod itself went defunct. But it was a good idea...
Thats interesting..Although its not really realistic..As far as i know the trannies on all tanks are autos.

Yea i know, the game engine is always the culpret. Now keep in mind everyone, im not talking about drastic increases in top speeds. Just enough to get that feeling like, wow, im goin too fast i should slow down..You know?

Plus, it will give more room to allow the diverse vehicle speeds to be much more dramatic and visible...
GRB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-15, 19:59   #4
{GD}geogob

Very good points, making vehicles handling closer to their real counter-part would improve realism a lot.

Reducing the turret rotation speed and acceleration for MBT and APC would help a lot too. Now it's insane. Although I have little knowledge on the subject (I only saw the turret of an AMX-30 turn while I was in it) it doesn't feel physically right to be able to turn a turret that fast and accelerate it that fast.

Also, regarding the tanks, they are a very powerful tools in the field, but they have huge disadvantages. One of them is being a prime target for every enemy around. The second is probably their constant need for a crew, maintenance, etc.

Few things could be done to make tanks more realistic and also bring in a bigger part in teamwork and communication when they are involved.

One of them was very nicely introduced in Red Orchestra. Having separate gunner and driver gave a very interesting perspective... realism, communication, challenge. Now you have a single guy hopping in a tank and if he knows what he is doing he can rule the battlefield. Having two men crew introduces a whole new perspective in communications. If a tank needs a crew of 3 in RealLife™, I would even push it further. Have one driver and one gunner, but to use the main cannon, you need a 3rd person in the tank (machine gun seat).

Another idea is regarding repairs. Repairing a tank with a wrench seems a bit absurd. I would suggest that to repair any large vehicles (tanks, APCs, Planes, Helos - so that would excludes smaller trucks and jeeps) you need a supply crate in a certain radius... something like 25 to 50 meters. This would also remove the stupid and unrealistic idea of having a Blackhawk full of engineers repairing it constantly (although I have yet to see this in PRMM... was this corrected?).
{GD}geogob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-15, 20:14   #5
Mad Max

Believe it or not the turret turning speed is pretty accurate for modern MBT's in regular BF2. They're slightly faster (in game), but then that goes with the arcade gameplay as everything is sped up (well reaction times and so on).
Mad Max is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-15, 20:23   #6
{GD}geogob

well, my only reference point, the AMX 30, isn't really a modern MBT after all :P

Still, if that is accurate, I am impressed. Should be quite a ride for the occupants :P
Old 2005-11-15, 20:35   #7
GRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max
Believe it or not the turret turning speed is pretty accurate for modern MBT's in regular BF2. They're slightly faster (in game), but then that goes with the arcade gameplay as everything is sped up (well reaction times and so on).
Yes. Exactly correct. The reaction times on the turret speed is slightly too fast...But thats another topic.
Old 2005-11-15, 20:39   #8
GRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by {GD}geogob
well, my only reference point, the AMX 30, isn't really a modern MBT after all :P

Still, if that is accurate, I am impressed. Should be quite a ride for the occupants :P
There are many newer versions of the AMX available nowadays.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/amx-30.htm

It may not be considered a MBT but im sure it serves its purpose quite well..
Old 2005-11-15, 21:33   #9
Mad Max

They're very fast in reverse. (spot the joke)
Mad Max is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-15, 22:23   #10
{GD}geogob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB
It may not be considered a MBT but im sure it serves its purpose quite well..
I have no doubt about that. I am also pretty sure technology evolved a lot since I saw a AMX-30 in action. That must have been 17 or 18 years ago. Not too sure.

Tags
enhancement, experience, realism, speeds, vehicle