project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2010-07-23, 11:03   #1
superhunty
Banned
Default Historical accuracy vs L33T new gear!

Well I read a post by one of the DEVS that on maps like Basrah they are trying to maintain some element of historical accuracy- ie. the British faction in that map should have the same equipment it was using in 2003 during the real battle.

However this got me thinking... if the British faction gets new gear (like the new SA 80 w/ RIS or their new Panther vehicle [assuming they will sooner or later]) will that be implemented into a map like Basrah? If its not, surely that would mean there are in effect two British factions? A 2003 version for certain maps (ie Basrah) and a 2010 version for others (ie Lashkar Gah)?

I don't really care what happens! Was just interested!
superhunty is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 11:12   #2
dtacs
Supporting Member

Default Re: Historical accuracy vs L33T new gear!

Isn't the new carbine one that was just finished only for crewman?
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 11:24   #3
Booyak

Me likes new gear

Booyak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 12:24   #4
superhunty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
Isn't the new carbine one that was just finished only for crewman?
Somehow I knew this would just descend into a farce about new equipment. Whether it is made or not doesn't matter...I was simply using real life examples to illustrate my point!
superhunty is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 13:13   #5
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhunty View Post
(ie Lashkar Gah)?
?

hm, not sure what you meant here but gb will be replaced by the germans in time

EDIT: but i see your point though, iirc basrah is the only IRL battle for gb so if the gb army introduces some new fancy tech they'll probably have it in other maps but keep it in basrah. or basrah will be retired áfter the next release? who knows what the devs'll do

Last edited by sweedensniiperr; 2010-07-23 at 13:17.. Reason: not good
Old 2010-07-23, 13:28   #6
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhunty View Post
Somehow I knew this would just descend into a farce about new equipment. Whether it is made or not doesn't matter...I was simply using real life examples to illustrate my point!
I mean for crewmen in PR. Isn't it the crewmans weapon?
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 15:32   #7
The Iron Dreamer
Supporting Member

I think it is the same rifle only the handguard is new and has rails...

P.S. yeah its the L85A2 look at this https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...pon-l85a2.html

and this https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...ml#post1341973

and the one for crewmans its the L22A3 i think, https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...dev-pride.html

P.S. to sum things up the one on the pic is the L85A2 whit RIS guard and the one for crewmans is L22A2 (this one is shorter than the other)

Last edited by The Iron Dreamer; 2010-07-23 at 15:39..
Old 2010-07-23, 15:39   #8
Thermis
Retired PR Developer

The goal of PR has and always will be realism, we try to model in game things off of what you would commonly find on the battle field. IE even though the US Marines sometimes use M4 carbines you most use M16 and thats why they are modeled that way in game. Same goes backwards for the US Army. So basically if the L33t new gear becomes common on the battlefield then yes it will probably be implemented. But just because something new has been adopted by a country doesn't mean we'll be in a rush to but it into PR like for example Multicam for the US Army.
Thermis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 04:06   #9
charliegrs

Isnt this the reason why we dont have map briefings anymore? So that the scenarios can be open ended enough to allow for more varied missions then would be possible if they were straight re-enactments of real missions? The Basrah map, for example, could theoretically be based on the real british mission in basrah back when british forces were in iraq. OR, it could be based on something hypothetical, like the brits having to go back to basrah for whatever reason. The lack of map briefings allows this because its never explicitly stated what time period this mission happens or if it is even based on a real mission. This means it could be in 2003, when the brits were using 2003 gear, or it can be in the future, and the weapons and gear in PR just havent been updated yet by the PR team. Who knows, its up the each individuals interpretation which is the beautiful thing about not having map briefings.
charliegrs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 04:24   #10
Silly_Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
I mean for crewmen in PR. Isn't it the crewmans weapon?
I believe you're confusing these two weapons:

L85 Upgrade

L22A2

Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
accuracy, gear, historical, l33t