project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
09 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-08-11, 12:34   #1
Psyko
Default Back up sghts

Hey,

When you switch from scope to irons on the AK74 your vision is very limited and fairly impractical.

So is it possible that by just tilting the rifle forwards a little we might have more to see down the iron sights? We dont need to see down, we just need to be able to see more "up"

To that effect, my suggestion for any rifle that doesnt have one of those emergency battle sights, that you get one anyway, case in point the G3 with scope, it would be cool if i could just aim down the top of the scope a bit instead of firing from the hip.

cheers.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 12:43   #2
rodrigoma
Default Re: Back up sites

this has been suggested several times. I personally dont get the point.

And you never fire from the hip in pr. AFAIK
rodrigoma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 13:24   #3
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rodrigoma View Post

indeed, the soldier always shoulders the weapon. But that is even more a reason to give him a backup sight where he just shoulders weapon w/o using the scope. It wont be accurate and you will only be able to hit anything at <50m but it would be incredible usefull for room clearing as you currently have to either quickscope or fire w/o sighting in at all.
Just add it so you can benefit from the reduced deviation when doing something the soldier already does on its own.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 15:59   #4
Oskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rodrigoma View Post

And as far as I know, I fire plenty from the hip, actually everytime an enemy comes around the corner at 1-10m range when I don't have my sights up!

But I don't think the russian backup irons need any changing, works just fine as it is. The scope is large so of course your view is a bit restricted.
Oskar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 16:22   #5
Psyko

!!!

I never said you should fire from the hip.
THE ISSUE IS...
when i right click on a G3, id like to be able to aim down the top of the barrel when aiming at enemies at short range.

SECOND ISSUE: The russian irons on scoped versions of AK74 is too small and limits your vision to an excrusiating letterbox. It is worse than the scope for creating tunnel vision and therefor is a total waste and was illogical to be placed in the game as a feature...

Think about it for a second. Iron sites on a weapon is for what?.......for maximizing visual while engaging a target, correct? In other words your screen is real-estate space, and the less crap on screen while clearing rooms ect is the most important aspect.

So it boils down to this. What is the point in implementing a feature that doesnt help at all?

Solution: Either tilt the rifle butt up so that its not at an angle while switched to irons, Or else move the whole gun down in the animation and aim down the top of the scope instead of through it. you lose the accurasy of having an iron site pip, but you gain all the real estate space on screen that you didnt have when the scope was blocking the right half of the screen.

Also one last thing: When you clear rooms with a rifle that has a scope, there are three main ways to do it.
1: throw in a grenade, run in and spray the corner where you think they are.
2: wait for them to come past the door and shoot them when the expose themselves.
3: throw in grenade, wait for them to come out then shoot them as they exit.

All three ways require the exact amount of scope. 0%
For clearing, rooms corridors, short streets, allyways, mezzanines, walkways, balconies, ladders, stairs, and foxholes, you need to walk up with irons or aimpoint and spray like mad. everything else needs scope. so its not like the irons on the russian weapon isnt important.
Last edited by Psyko; 2013-08-11 at 16:29..
Old 2013-08-12, 05:51   #6
007.SirBond

The point is the developers are following orders from Nato to portray Nato forces as superior to anything non-Nato.

This includes making the backup sights for AK74M nearly useless and adding a ton of recoil for weapons that are not Nato issued like the Chinese qbz-95 rifle.
In the next version of PR, they will feature one randomly chosen squad member of the Russian Armed Forces having massive screen sway, shouts random comma rose commands and a different voice to authenticate the one drunk Russian soldier usually found in squads of the Russian Army.
007.SirBond is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 06:15   #7
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

You spelled sights wrong, just saying.

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 06:39   #8
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.SirBond View Post
The point is the developers are following orders from Nato to portray Nato forces as superior to anything non-Nato.

This includes making the backup sights for AK74M nearly useless and adding a ton of recoil for weapons that are not Nato issued like the Chinese qbz-95 rifle.
In the next version of PR, they will feature one randomly chosen squad member of the Russian Armed Forces having massive screen sway, shouts random comma rose commands and a different voice to authenticate the one drunk Russian soldier usually found in squads of the Russian Army.

And AK-74M animation is still wrong (as with RPK-74M) for all scoped kits.
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 07:22   #9
Wheres_my_chili

Why dont the devs just implement backup sights for all rifles for goodness sake? Even if they dont get the point, most of the posters on here (myself included) would find them useful.
Wheres_my_chili is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 07:23   #10
Gracler

The AK74 scoped backup sight is very annoying but it is after all just a backup sight, so I hardly ever use it. I do hip fire at 1-5 meters, and scope in on the rest.

I don't know if anyone really use this sight very much but since it blocks your frontal view a lot it is very impractical. A guy could shoot you in the face without you knowing . Backup sights above the scope is very good though.

The fact that PR devs developed this feature is great though and shows that they pay attention to detail which is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres_my_chili View Post
Why dont the devs just implement backup sights for all rifles for goodness sake? Even if they dont get the point, most of the posters on here (myself included) would find them useful.
Because they have jobs and real lives and the fact that not all weapons have backup sights perhaps?
Last edited by Gracler; 2013-08-12 at 07:33..

Tags
back, sghts, sites