project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
30 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2014-02-16, 22:43   #1
Priby
Supporting Member

Default 400mm PC fan

The title pretty much explained it all. Im searching for a 400mm pc fan and preferably dont want to spend a fortune on it (like buying the aerocool case just for the fan). And it should be relatively thin.
The biggest i found were 360mm.
Maybe you guys are wiser than me.

Priby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 23:02   #2
X-Alt
Default Re: 400mm PC fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priby View Post
The title pretty much explained it all. Im searching for a 400mm pc fan and preferably dont want to spend a fortune on it (like buying the aerocool case just for the fan). And it should be relatively thin.
The biggest i found were 360mm.
Maybe you guys are wiser than me.
A 400m fan is lolz, even a 200mm is enuf. Go for a 360mm fan and call it a day...
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 00:17   #3
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

200m fans create dead spots at the center axis hub, The 400 mm center hub would be huge, like 50mm diameter.

Largest I can find right now are 360 x 360 x 30mm .

You could then buy acrylic, aluminum or whatever sheet at something larger than 400mm x 400mm, and cut out the 360mm fan hole, and some mounting points to your case.,

Though honestly, even a dual CPU motherboard with both CPUs OC'ed and Quad SLI would not need that much cooling on the side panel of a case.

360mm Silent Case Fan - Blue LED at Xoxide!
Performance-PCs MONSTER 360mm Silent Case Fan w/ Trim Ring Bezel - Sleeved Products Model: FAN360 [FAN360] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 00:23   #4
Priby
Supporting Member

Its not so much for the technical aspect but rather for the aesthetic one.

Left picture is the reason why i would prefer 400mm.

Old 2014-02-17, 00:27   #5
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Are you going to be using these 400mm fans for spinner rims?

Or you planning to build a PC inside a slick bike tire?

At 400 mm you might have to go to low voltage industrial fans and mod them to run off your PSU, it's not hard, a few splices, a few molex connectors, and it works.

Old 2014-02-17, 00:36   #6
Priby
Supporting Member

PC inside a motorcycle tire.
Yeah thought about that too. Maybe one from a car, since the usually already run on 12V.
Just hoped someone might know something

Old 2014-02-17, 00:45   #7
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Consider this:
Running at PC heat levels on the inside of a slick is going to cause outgassing, you're going to smell the rubber scent.
It's just my guess, but you put a cigarette lighter to a slick and you'll smell the rubber outgassing, so if the PC is running at 50C to 70C at load, it might cause the outgassing over extended timeframe.

It's a cool design concept, will be interested in hearing how you progress, good luck.

Old 2014-02-17, 07:50   #8
ShockUnitBlack

Why not just go for a window and some water cooling? Putting a window in would be a lot easier than putting a fan in, and it isn't going to sound like a bloody jet engine.
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 08:59   #9
Priby
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
Consider this:
Running at PC heat levels on the inside of a slick is going to cause outgassing, you're going to smell the rubber scent.
Yep, might have to coat it with clear varnish or something. Maybe even just for the regular new tire smell. But if it works out like i want it to, than there shouldnt be too much heat on the tire anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockUnitBlack View Post
Why not just go for a window and some water cooling? Putting a window in would be a lot easier than putting a fan in, and it isn't going to sound like a bloody jet engine.
I have absolutely no experience with water cooling
But apart from that. The fan is much more for looks than for cooling, although i think it would do a pretty good job at that too.
Shouldnt the bigger one be quieter since they dont need that many rpms for the same results?

Old 2014-02-17, 09:18   #10
ShockUnitBlack

Sound would depend on the fan model I imagine.
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
400mm, fan