project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
26 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-05-03, 22:20   #1
TarnishUK
Default British small arms

A year after finally buying BF2 for the sole purpose of trying out PR I've finally got around to giving it a go. Although the game engine is starting to shows its age I've got to say that playing a solo co-op mission fighting through the Green Zone up the Lashkar road was one of the best in game firefight experiences I've had especially considering I was playing only with bots.

Anyway just a couple of observations regarding the British issue small arms in the mod.

Overall I was very impressed with the small arms models and in particular the animations of the weapon drills but two things I did note were the optical sight on the LMG being (externally at least!) an ELCAN when in the British forces either the SUSAT or LDS (ACoG) are used on the LMG. Also the bayonet is still available for fitment to the L85/UGL combo when in reality the UGL equipped rifle cannot accept a bayonet, is that a game engine limitation that the bayonet is still there?

All in all though I'm really impressed, I'm really looking forward to future updates of PR not only on BF2 but ArmA2 also. New features such as the new MTP uniform, the Daniel Defense SA80 RIS and the new L129A1 Marksman Rifle would be fantastic.

Great too playing as "Terry" with a Lee Enfield No4!

TarnishUK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 22:24   #2
Jigsaw

Default Re: British small arms

Welcome to the forums and PR in general. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, trust me try playing on a MP server with an organised squad and you'll be blown away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarnishUK View Post
Overall I was very impressed with the small arms models and in particular the animations of the weapon drills but two things I did note were the optical sight on the LMG being (externally at least!) an ELCAN when in the British forces either the SUSAT or LDS (ACoG) are used on the LMG. Also the bayonet is still available for fitment to the L85/UGL combo when in reality the UGL equipped rifle cannot accept a bayonet, is that a game engine limitation that the bayonet is still there?
Just a quick thing though, you'll need to source the above statements. Being a military mod/community stating things like this as fact without backing it up doesn't fly.

Cheers
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 22:48   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Also the bayonet is still available for fitment to the L85/UGL combo when in reality the UGL equipped rifle cannot accept a bayonet, is that a game engine limitation that the bayonet is still there?
iirc the bayonet for the UGL version is just held in the hand as a knife and isn't placed on the rifle?

welcome to the mod and forums mate

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 22:50   #4
Gaz
Banned
Supporting Member

He's right Jigsaw. Bayonet is still issued though to section commanders/2ICs, simply so the have an issue cutting tool/wire cutter. Although granted most of us are packing Gerbers. Wouldn't be as warry if we plyed someone to death though.

Welcome to the forums, Tarn.
Last edited by Gaz; 2010-05-03 at 22:56..
Old 2010-05-03, 23:14   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Rudd View Post
iirc the bayonet for the UGL version is just held in the hand as a knife and isn't placed on the rifle?

welcome to the mod and forums mate
Ye the SA80 Bayonet on the Grenadier kit is just used as a combat knife. It isn't fitted to the rifle when selected, only on the normal L85A2 rifles is when it is.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 23:26   #6
TarnishUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
Welcome to the forums and PR in general. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, trust me try playing on a MP server with an organised squad and you'll be blown away.

Just a quick thing though, you'll need to source the above statements. Being a military mod/community stating things like this as fact without backing it up doesn't fly.

Cheers
Thanks for the welcome all. I do look forward to playing on MP sometime soon.

Regards backing up my previous statement, well I'm always happy to stand corrected when I get something wrong. Yes it was an on the fly comment and my last time on an SA80 was an L85A1 ten years ago when I was in the TA. That said I am for my day job a civvy armourer admittedly on aircraft so the smallest things I tend to deal with are GPMG and M60 on helicopter pintle mounts. BUT as such I do have full access to the army AESP server and there ain't no AESP for the ELCAN and the L110A1/A2 book only mentions SUSAT and ACoG at present. My understanding on the optical sight situation is that the Lightweight Day Sight (ACoG) is just a stop-gap UOR and that ELCAN (!) have been chosen the supply a version of their Specter (sic) sight to replace both existing sights. I've not looked up info on that recently so I admit I'm not sure where that project stands at the moment. The second bloke from the left in the picture below has a Specter sight fitted to his LSW. Interesting to note all the other mods to the weapons on show like the Vortex flash hiders and the fancy new butt on the LMG.

Anyway all that is by the by and in no way detracts from the rollicking good laugh I've had playing PR this evening, especially given that my wife has been engrossed in a game on her computer and hasn't disturbed me!

NB: Sorry for the acronyms for the non military/defence related bods on here

AESP = Army Equipment Support Publication
UOR = Urgent Operational Requirement
TarnishUK is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
arms, british, l129a1, l85a2, lmg, small, small arms