project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:WWII General Discussion
24 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:WWII General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality WWII modification.

Old 2021-10-26, 07:51   #1
dcm
Default WW2 sucks for the germans

Playing as the germans just aint fun on most ww2 maps. They are completely outgunned by the m1 garand's semi auto firepower. Everybody who can use the garand does. Even officers too. The kar98k's bolt action nature makes it a pain to use. Not only that it has less than half the ammo of the garand. So what if the m1 cant reload a partial clip. It has so much ammo you dont really care. And people dont really use it as a rifle. I find greater success running into a group of enemies and mag dumping. Most of the time. I will win. Even against german machine guns.

Speaking of which; German machine guns fire too fast and have too little ammo firing time to be effective compared to their american counterparts. 99% of the time I barely see anyone on the german team run a proper mg if they dont have to. Most of the time its either stg.44 or mp40. The semi auto of the mg34 turns it into an iron sight dmr. Which can be useful in the right situation. But those situations are far too few. The mg42 is good yes, but it's very hard to get effective bursts out of that thing in the squad machine gun role. The mg3 doesn't seem to have that problem. I dont know if fires slower or some other magic but it's better. Way better even if it's iron sight only. The mounted mg42 is a different story. However it has it's own shortcomings.

The best weapon on the german team is the g43 and I've only seem the smart squad leaders use it. Even over the stg.44. The g43 is nothing special other than being a hard hitting semi auto rifle.

The problems also extend to vehicles. The american half track has a .50 cal, A .50 cal that destroy most other vehicles. The german half track has the mg42 which is only good against infantry. And if you come up against an american half track if doesn't matter if you shoot the gunner off, you cant destroy it anyway. Giving the rear gunner an mg42 doesn't alleviate much.

So what can be done? Other than giving every german soldier the g43 which is not authentic in the slightest. And without nerfing the us team again.

Well first increase the amount of automatic firepower on the german team in some way. Somebody else on that team needs a spawnable smg. Somebody other than pointman, because he's pretty much the best class on both teams.

Two. The Kar98k needs more ammo. Possibly double. And since germans are pretty much screwed by their bolt actions. Give their machine guns; MG34, MG42, and FG42, more ammo. Like you did with the russian's RPK74M. And give the G43 more ammo aswell. 6 mags aint shit. I go through that much ammo assaulting a position or providing covering fire.

Point 3. There's not much that can be done about the inbalance in half tracks. I admit that. But maybe have it so that their can be more things done to enemy half tracks by regular infantry. For example have grenade that explode inside the half track do much more damage. I've encountered too many situations where I dropped both my frags into an enemy half track and it did fuck all.

I'm not gonna get into tanks or apcs because I'm primarily an infantry player and at most I do mad gunruns aka drivebys with the apcs.
Old 2021-10-26, 10:36   #2
Coalz101
Default Re: WW2 sucks for the germans

WW2 Germany requires a different play style from any other faction. If you can't adjust to that playstyle then obviously you'll think its shit. Germany plays more of a defensive faction much like insurgents but without the weaponry. Just like germany in real life the only way you can possibly win an offensive is if you have tank and apc support distracting/killing (some of) the enemy as you slowly creep onto them.

I've noticed trying to do anything other than that will lead to a massive waste of resources unless you can get 16 ARs/MGs to assault a position since the FG42 is a beast at close range whilst the other MG variants can provide great covering fire while everyone else advances.
Old 2021-10-26, 10:54   #3
robert357

Like Coalz said - you need play a little bit different than any other faction in game. Germany require different strategy than usual gun&blazing.

However I also think Germany should get one more automatic weapon in base kits like in Pointman. It just feels better playing way back in beta testing.
Old 2021-10-27, 18:13   #4
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978 Faction Lead

Quote:
WW2 sucks for the germans
of course it does they lost
Old 2021-10-29, 17:08   #5
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
Playing as the germans just aint fun on most ww2 maps. They are completely outgunned by the m1 garand's semi auto firepower. Everybody who can use the garand does. Even officers too. The kar98k's bolt action nature makes it a pain to use. Not only that it has less than half the ammo of the garand. So what if the m1 cant reload a partial clip. It has so much ammo you dont really care. And people dont really use it as a rifle. I find greater success running into a group of enemies and mag dumping. Most of the time. I will win. Even against german machine guns.

Speaking of which; German machine guns fire too fast and have too little ammo firing time to be effective compared to their american counterparts. 99% of the time I barely see anyone on the german team run a proper mg if they dont have to. Most of the time its either stg.44 or mp40. The semi auto of the mg34 turns it into an iron sight dmr. Which can be useful in the right situation. But those situations are far too few. The mg42 is good yes, but it's very hard to get effective bursts out of that thing in the squad machine gun role. The mg3 doesn't seem to have that problem. I dont know if fires slower or some other magic but it's better. Way better even if it's iron sight only. The mounted mg42 is a different story. However it has it's own shortcomings.

The best weapon on the german team is the g43 and I've only seem the smart squad leaders use it. Even over the stg.44. The g43 is nothing special other than being a hard hitting semi auto rifle.

The problems also extend to vehicles. The american half track has a .50 cal, A .50 cal that destroy most other vehicles. The german half track has the mg42 which is only good against infantry. And if you come up against an american half track if doesn't matter if you shoot the gunner off, you cant destroy it anyway. Giving the rear gunner an mg42 doesn't alleviate much.

So what can be done? Other than giving every german soldier the g43 which is not authentic in the slightest. And without nerfing the us team again.
As Coalz said... It takes different tactics with different guns. Me and some guy on Brecourt Manor with 2 M1 Garands took out 4 or 6 Germans with just us in under 2 clips. Evenly dividing the kills. I said in all chat "For K98 Bolt action you need 3 guys to get 6 down".. You dont need to kill everyone, that takes more time giving more seconds and chances for you to be seen and shot, minimize the time exposed and then you run. Thats not just for you, thats for everyone so you can keep the numbers you have. On the War Of Rights game I play with muskets and muzzle loaders, I come from camouflage fire a shot then run disappearing in my smoke into woods or running along cattle fence making more distance.. You need to have guerilla sniper behavior, the K98 needs a bayonet to prod bushes.

There have been times in bushes I favor the knife over the bolt action. War is always you want to keep your enemy away from you, unless you have the advantage to go and overwhelm them. SUPPRESS WITH YOUR BOLT ACTIONS, windows, bushes, woods I could win with everyone having a bolt action, hand grenades and smokes. Thats 50 Iron Sight Snipers ready to compete. Competition will get them more kills. If we could get grenades in the tank hatch or cannon to kill them we wouldn't even need LAT/HAT.

With bolt actions you must become the sniper, the booby traps in bushes with your eyes being the trip wires, hit and run. Just like swimming across an opening, NEVER run over open ground without security. Preferably from the MG34 set in semi auto waiting for the enemy you baited, keep everyone in view by orders. This happens around the cap zones. The rate of fire on machine guns is set by how fast you click. Its supposed to be fired in bursts to stagger ammo use, make it last longer.

Change up your tactics, when you say to use camouflage make sure people are doing it.. Pick 3+ high quality skills to enforce in your squad, camouflage, scan aggressive with eyes/ears, pre-fire with the 1 per cover/cover2cover/in view to save each other/weapon spread.. If somebody in your squad is moving around to other peoples hidden positions, when its time to sit still to listen for footsteps they moving, making noise or they are not actually using camouflage. Maybe they do other things like asking stupid questions your orders answered, not in view but asking for a medic or rally point close to enemy.

Their mind plays games casually like a child not seeing ways to apply skills. KICK THEM FROM YOUR SQUAD, dont let them leave when they want letting them back in. Once they out they out, especially when I said enough times and part of its in my squads name "1 per cover"... "1 per camo". DISCIPLINE.. Ideally I want the type in my squad to watch out for each other as my orders watch out for them, if I step out of camouflage I want somebody to tell me or ANYBODY. Police each other up, camouflage, exposure, discipline.

Its not the weapons, its the men who use them and how they use them. Keep in mind most idiots only use machine gun like its Call of Duty camping, waiting to see something obvious in open even though the game encourages real skills like CAMOUFLAGE.. So you arent going to see every enemy, like that play Alduin who learned in Russian tank on Saaremaa "you wont see every HAT/LAT. When you go past woods, you can only look one direction at a time and they wait for you to pass while hiding in camouflage or behind something so looking forward is pointless. SHOOT EVERYTHING, EVERY NEW ANGLE THAT COMES IN VIEW WITH COAX" --- THIS IS WHY COAX ON TANKS TOTALS 4,000-10,000+ Want to survive and win? Use real tactics. If your enemy isn't then they rely on single opportunity moments like Guerilla tactics.

ASSET players dont know how to play assets, on ANY Project Reality map there should be no lengthy whole map flank.. Germans have great tanks, but job is not to hunt tank on tank, incorporate the infantry and real tank tactics. Get location on map, get bearing/check for obstacles and shoot at the enemy tank across the level terrain of these WW2 maps. Scare enemy tank into moving, keep infantry between you and tank. If you are hidden, but tank is on other side also hidden, with infantry in between.. If enemy tank shoots any infantry with any of its weapons, I fire at its sound as close as I can to its exact location I thin it is by sound. Tanks are dumb, they dont shoot, they sit there scared, infantry finds it, calls LAT up.. Before I know it armor is gone.
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2021-10-29 at 17:16..
Old 2021-10-29, 23:46   #6
Joovy
Banned

Old 2021-10-30, 16:33   #7
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Let's just say that PR was made with modern infantry rifles - which are fed from a 30-round magazine, with select fire capabilities - as the basis for the individual soldier's prowess in mind. The Kar98k is so far removed from that we'd either need to re-evalute our baseline from the ground up(which we won't) or have the WW2 theatre deviation behave differently, but for that we'd have to have good reasons:
Our design consideration is to have a mostly level playing field with the usual emphasis on teamwork, tactics and logistics and so far I haven't found the most glaring of issues, outside of, you know, ye olde team imbalance(and Omaha mortar fests). The M1 is good, true, but the G43 is better and the US MGs leave A LOT to be desired. Not to mention the Germans have exclusive access to an assault rifle as well.
All in all, if you were to ask me, both German subfactions are better combat wise than the American ones, but the Fallschirmjäger setup especially. But it's also true you need to know what you're doing with the equipment you're given.

As for some of your other "points":

Quote:
Not only that it has less than half the ammo of the garand.
5 is not less than a half of 8.

Quote:
Speaking of which; German machine guns fire too fast and have too little ammo firing time to be effective compared to their american counterparts.
The MG42 fires from a 120 round belt which I actually bumped up from the original 100(that's the only belt size it has), the most out of any in that theatre. The only handheld weapon in the entire game - if I'm not mistaken - with a higher mag capacity is the GPMG MG3 at 150 rounds.

The MG34 has a 50 round drum mag which is
a.) 2.5 times the B.A.R.'s
b.) last longer than the B.A.R.'s magazine in a direct shootout; 50 rounds @ 900 RPM v 20 rounds @ 600 RPM

Quote:
The mg42 is good yes, but it's very hard to get effective bursts out of that thing in the squad machine gun role. The mg3 doesn't seem to have that problem.
It's not that easy to squeeze just 2 or 3 rounds out of the IRL MG3 either, but as far as this conversation(with respect to a video game) is concerned, what you're experiencing is the placebo effect. Functionally these two are the same weapon with the same stats.

Quote:
Well first increase the amount of automatic firepower on the german team in some way. Somebody else on that team needs a spawnable smg.
No. Git gud.

Quote:
The Kar98k needs more ammo. Possibly double.
FG42, more ammo
The limiting factor of the Kar98k is not the ammo capacity, it's the ROF.
Already increased the reserve magazine capacity on that one. It's got plenty enough.

@Gump

I see you're playing 16-dimensional Dungeons 'N Dragons, but we're just playing 2.5D chess at most.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Old 2021-10-30, 20:22   #8
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
The Kar98k is so far removed from that we'd either need to re-evalute our baseline from the ground up(which we won't) or have the WW2 theatre deviation behave differently, but for that we'd have to have good reasons:

Omaha Mortar Fest

@Gump

I see you're playing 16-dimensional Dungeons 'N Dragons, but we're just playing 2.5D chess at most.
Claiming to play "2.5D Chess" in comparison to PR yet for some reason, the Omaha mortar fest complaint happens from a single grid square everyone lands on.

For Omaha mortar fest, how about not having all 50 players land on the very edge of the map in 1,2 or 3 keypads? How about instead of 1 FOB for mortars to shoot at you divide it between 2 FOBS? Players taking both logi boats to that edge of map landing point complicate this, then the fact people drop both crates in same spot even if they just saw the first crate break there. Non-learners. Mortar spread, get out from under the mortars. One man who gets up to move alone gunned down quick. One man starts to move should immediately cue the others to move based on this, any man who runs out is a distraction for limited time. Its not "this man is our distraction", if you got 15 guys running with 1 of them being you then thats 14 different distractions.

Longer alive you stay getting shot at, more enemy attention and ammo wasted. Very useful skill concept if Germans against Americans, very useful for Americans on a beach invasion. This type of thinking wins games. Just another tactic like spreading wide formations, individuals zig-zagging to make bullets miss point of aim.. "oh they are shooting at our FOB, this is a problem".. Then divide it up, answer to win is always in front of their face presented usually as the problem enemy is giving, they need to start giving enemies problems. Cant make mortars stop shooting one FOB, so give them 2 FOBs.

Its all very simple... Change our ways or keep sucking. "Re-evaluate our base line from the ground up". Its a different map and era, get a grip, you making it out to be some whole process external from the bodies mind. Your mind is over complicating the adaptation process taking semi-automatic weapons from humans and giving them bolt actions. You only need to say a few things to yourself "Ok.. I have less total ammo, I need to cycle the bolt before aiming again, I may not be able to kill them all before they get close with their superior weapons".

Everything I say is for survival, winning or killing yet somebody in-game always has to argue with it. Its simple English to repeat. Why do people feel the need to say 1 man per piece of cover in a different way from me or not say it at all in any form? When a squad leader simply says only once "spread out" and nobody changes distance between their bodies. Most dont even check if they are spread, like its too hard to spin around for a second without stopping direction of movement, basically ignoring what you said. This is when I start kicking people. Do people even say any form of this to each other? Teams lose because of the second to second events of idiots, 2 people dying in a single window x100 from predictable and repeatable things, like tank shells.

1 man per piece of cover is a standard, if they cant do this with explosive spread keeping each other in view kick them from the squad. This is where being good squad leader who teaches comes in, how to use the weapons. Out of 50 on the German team how many understand? With no smoke, open desert and 50 guys you can use bullets alone to prevent enemy from peeking from suppression and pre-fire. Send rounds in from every angle, bullets hitting close blur their vision if they dont back off.

Everything is based on concept you see on Omaha, more boats, more men is harder to kill getting more people on the beach, across the beach. Apply that to attacking on every map. Running in straight line toward enemy is just as easy to hit as sitting still, make enemy aim left to right to miss as individual. Zig-zag. As a team make the enemy aim wide. Following right behind somebody instead of being rear left or rear right, means if enemy misses guy in front he can hit guy in rear. 2 bodies close to each other are bigger looking and easier to see than 1 body. Common sense but people still run in straight lines behind each other, knowing grenades and bigger explosives exist in the game but need to be told "explosive spread" and somehow need to have the definition of that self explanatory term elaborated on. The same as saying "1 per cover" or saying the full thing "1 man per piece of cover". These people who dont learn are the ones who literally jump around the corner in Call Of Duty spraying.. They get kills in Call Of Duty, but they cant survive in simulated terrain using defilade, timing.

Take every factor for increased survival chances into account for whatever percentage you can label its effectiveness. Suppression blur from one man I put at 1% because it lasts for a split second and needs more bullets to follow up. Being in the spread formation wider than an area attack over open ground with guys zig-zagging is 50% survival rate, compared to smaller spreads that have lower survival rates. At least half will survive. So put 50 guys at some point making the enemy vision blur from suppression which accounts for 1% per man, plus the other 50% from spread, gives you 100% chance increasing survival rate. Keep adding skill factors and you can have 100% survival rate, anything above 100% denotes level of domination. Once above 100%, even if you stop doing one factor that got to 100% survival rate, you still have a lot to stop doing before it drops. This is your survival rate, lose a man then you lose the rate of survival capability.

If you are going to be seen its best you dont do it alone, otherwise just use camouflage. Causal players are the problem, blaming everyone and everything but themselves for deaths. Unless you are hidden and some casual player is seen walking into your bush which gets machine gun, APC or cannon to shoot into there. People dont realize the effect they have on each other, making the death another persons fault yet are quick to blame others without capability to be aware of themselves.

If you can see far away places, anywhere 360 degrees around you that is where you can get shot from. Having an aware perspective on uniform color against green grass or how objects stand out in the open. "See that bush out there, that object on the green grass? Pretend bush is a soldiers body, the fact you see it is an issue".. Really becomes an issue when Im a gunner because every new bush that comes in view gets a bullet. One man seen gets shot quickly, too many in view moving are distractions for each other. You dont just shoot for the guys on your team, you need to get shot at too so you can save them. You cant fight the same way as conventional weapons on conventional weapons just because you also have tanks and machine guns.

Japanese banzai charges only worked against militaries armed with mostly bolt-actions. Germans charging Americans is about the same as Japanese. Every German has a sniper rifle, the scope doesnt make the rifle a sniper rifle, thats up to who uses it. If your vision works find anything suspect to fire on, everything you aim and shoot at is practice.
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2021-10-30 at 21:07..
Old 2021-10-30, 20:30   #9
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Old 2021-10-31, 00:10   #10
BRZbruh

They lost, get over it.