project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-06-17, 17:47   #1
BeerHunter
Supporting Member
Default Whats going to happen to the PR team when Squad is released?

We all know that "Squad" is being developed by former PR team members but,unlike PR , it's going retail.

After all these years of the PR team giving us an outstanding game for free , it almost seems unfair that their ideas and hard work are being "pirated" by a few upstarts who are taking their experiences from PR and turning it into a competitive retail game with the idea of making a profit.

If nothing else , I hope the PR team is getting some kind of royalty out of this for supplying the "Squad" developers with the experience and ideas that will more than likely be incorporated in the game.

After all , they do deserve something for their years of hard work and dedication to PR.
BeerHunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 17:52   #2
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

You make the Squad developers look bad, at least that's how I read your post. A few upstarts, pirating the game? As if there are hard feelings somewhere.

Not sure what you're thinking here...

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 17:55   #3
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Whats going to happen to the PR team when Squad is released?

You are aware they are as well those PR devs you talk about?

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 18:02   #4
BeerHunter
Supporting Member

Didn't mean to make it sound like that...was meant to be more facetious.
I've been following "Squad" also and it indeed does look interesting.
I guess I was just concerned/curious about what will happen to PR and the team when it's released.
Old 2015-06-17, 18:06   #5
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

Why do people worry about things they have no control over?

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 18:26   #6
gordo.zerohour
Wink Re: Whats going to happen to the PR team when Squad is released?

No offense to you BeerHunter, however, in the faq part of joinsquad.com, Squad seems to give Project Reality quite a bit of credit to their founding. Project Reality, as far as I know, never intended on retail or to profit off of PR inspired games.

I guess they wanted to see their hard work flourish, and alas, it did! There is a great community with a great player base, seeing this was a OG BF2 mod anyway.

AND the fact that a whole new game is being released because of the Project Reality's influence, as well as some of the original members could base a productive career off this experience, I feel honored to be a part of it. New to this community or not. It is amazing.

I mean plus if a individual finds out about Squad but cant afford it, they could join PR till they get Squad. If someday Squad has a update that affects a mass of people due to hardware specs, those lovely souls could go back to PR.

I guess Squad might affect some PR player base, but I mean those kids have the same great intention as Project Realty. Plus we are paying them, the pressure is on to make me a great game with new, better looking content, brochacho.

I feel like, its a father & son situation. A father has a hobby in woodworking and raises his son to enjoy it. The son a bit young, has zeal, and adventurous decides to turn dad's old hobby into a profitable business. Dad sees his son decision, he loves that his son is following his love for the hobby and gets to make a living off it. His father doesnt have a greed filled lust towards his son, he is proud of his son and the accomplishments that are to be. The father is glad to leave that impact on his son, and his son make a life out if it.
gordo.zerohour is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 18:37   #7
M42 Zwilling
Retired PR Developer

Nobody knows what will happen to PR when Squad comes out. Going of their goals as I understand them, Squad will not have the amount of content and depth PR has anytime soon. It will be a great game I'm sure, but PR still has a huge head start. I think it still has some life in it, but it has to die eventually. When that happens, then obviously we'll all move on, whether to Squad or other projects. I don't see any point to worrying over this.

If I wanted money, I'd look for it. Modding is not the way to look for money. Squad paying the PR team would not only be unnecessary, but incredibly messy in so many ways (legally for one). The fun of adding awesome new features and seeing them play out in-game is all I want or need. The former or current PR devs that make up the Squad team have as much right to do what they want with their experience as I do. I'm just happy to see that PR's vision will grow and live on.

"How many posts have there been about how much better PR was back in 0.X? The fact is that if we played the older versions we would start to remember the shortcomings, but we tend to hold onto the good memories tighter than the bad ones." - Murphy
M42 Zwilling is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 19:29   #8
BeerHunter
Supporting Member

And so all is well in the universe..

Oh and BTW - in your analogy Father and Son..you forgot to mention that as the father gets old , tired and feeble , he's going to expect his son to take care of him eh?

Thanks for tolerating what , I guess , was a foolish quesiton.
Old 2015-06-17, 19:49   #9
gordo.zerohour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
in your analogy Father and Son..you forgot to mention that as the father gets old , tired and feeble , he's going to expect his son to take care of him eh? .
Nursing homes, dont know what they are in reference to PR and it's fate. But nursing home.

Maybe that means, there will be old dedicated PR strictly players. They will all die off, but at least they die off in a nice assisted-living home.
gordo.zerohour is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 19:58   #10
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Why I do agree that I think PR devs should get paid. Even more so because they have actually made something(see what I did there?).

On topic: Why worry? Squad release isn't gonna happend anytime soon anyway. When that day comes it comes.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
happen, released, squad, team