project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Bugs
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Bugs If you find a bug within PR:BF2 (including PRSP), please report it here.

Old 2013-09-06, 05:25   #1
zurich
Post AIM-120 Range/Long Range A2A Missile Range

Searched the forums for anything similar to this, but came up with nothing. Please have mercy if this has already been seen previously.

Description:

A friend and myself were testing fixed wing aircraft on black gold hosted by one of us on Hamachi. For those who don't know, Hamachi allows one to create a room that people can join and then host a game via the create local option in PR.

In any case, after extensive testing with the J-10 and Su-27, we saw a strange difference between the lock times of both Aircraft, which wield the long range AIM 120 A2A missile. When I hosted the server myself, I would get a lock distance of 2000m, which according to the .tweak file in the objects_vehicles.zip file, was accurate for those aircraft that have it. However, my friend would try the same aircraft and get the short range Aim9 Sidewinder lock distance of only 750m.

What we came to find out, was that whomever hosted the server would get the actual lock distance that was inside the .tweak file for that aircraft, in this case 2000m for the AIM120 on the Su27/J10. The other would get a short range lock distance of 750m no matter what missile selection was made.

Obviously, this is a matter of who is hosting the server, so on a regular internet server, all things would be equal since the server is dedicated. However, all missiles would/are only locking at 750m as well, whether it is an AIM120 or not. An even playing ground yes, but there should still be some disparity in the missile selections.

Otherwise, there is little difference in the missile types.

Steps to Reproduce:

Host any local server that a friend can connect to. Have the friend hover in a helicopter hover over any flag and have another fly an aircraft with the AIM120 or any long range missile. Make a direct line to the helicopter that your friend is flying. You flying the aircraft, will get the normal lock distance of 2000m. However, if your friend tries the same while you are hosting the server, he will get the lock distance of 750m, no matter what missile selection.

(Please read): The interesting part is, is that your friend flying the J10/Su27 (on your server) he will not get a lock tone (or any kind of indication that the enemy aircraft/helicopter is there) until 750m away from your helicopter/aircraft. However, the enemy lock tone will still go off in your headset at the standard 2000m, even if he has no indication of an enemy aircraft. This would be the same case if your friend hosted the server as well.

Again, on a dedicated internet server, this is not a problem because it is not hosted by a player. However, all missiles on these servers will lock at 750m, regardless of missile selection.

Screenshots / Video:

None

Tested On:

Black Gold AAS Standard (Which ever one has the Su27/J10 combo)
Any Map with an aircraft with an AIM120 selection
Server: Local, will not be able to reproduce on a public internet hosted server
v1.0

Video Settings (if needed):

Not needed

Audio Settings (if needed):

Not Needed

Again, I searched and didn't see anything on this, so bear with me if this is known already.
Last edited by zurich; 2013-09-06 at 05:49..

Tags
a2a, aim120, aircraft, missile, range, range or long