Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Rhino
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
Falklands - San Carolos Landings 30th Anniversary
Posted in: Mapping
Posted 2012-05-21 at 03:13 by [R-DEV]Rhino

Hey all,

Today, the 21st of May marks the 30th Anniversary of Operation Sutton, the amphibious landing on beaches around San Carlos Water, on the northwestern coast of East Falkland facing onto Falkland Sound. The bay, known as [I]Bomb Alley[/I] by British forces and [I]Death Valley[/I] (valle de la Muerte) by the Argentine forces (due to the very heavy anti-aircraft), was the scene of repeated air attacks by low-flying Argentine jets.

To avoid the highest concentration of British air defences, Argentine pilots released ordnance from very low altitude, and hence their bomb fuzes did not have sufficient time to arm before impact. The low release of the dumb bombs (some of which had been sold to the Argentines by the British years earlier) meant that many never exploded, as there was insufficient time in the air for them to arm themselves. A simple free-fall bomb will, during a low altitude release, impact almost directly below the aircraft which is then within the lethal fragmentation zone of the resulting explosion. The pilots where aware of this, but due to the high concentration levels required to avoid SAMs and Anti-Aircraft Artillery (AAA), as well as any British Sea Harriers, many failed to climb to the necessary release point. The problem was solved by the improvised fitting of retarding devices, allowing low-level bombing attacks as employed on 8 June.

To mark this anniversary we've shot this small teaser for the Falklands Mini-Mod with three Mirage IIIEA aircraft attacking the bay at low level while trying to avoid the AA defenses :)

[CENTER][YOUTUBEHD]wQi70s6Uj2M[/YOUTUBEHD][/CENTER]
Laggy alternative link if YouTube isn't allowed in your country: [url]http://beta.xfire.com/videos/574a5b[/url]

Finally we would like to show our respect for all thous killed and wounded on both sides of the conflict during this operation 30 years ago and how bravely they fought.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to keep an eye out for more info on this mini-mod ;)
Updated 2012-05-24 at 06:42 by [R-DEV]Rhino
Views: 151818 | Comments: 22

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 22
  1. Old Comment
    First! again!
  2. Old Comment
    Thanks for this Rhino, as an Argentinian I would like to say that I hope this never happens again, and both countries (UK and Argentina) could share peace and well being for the people living in Malvinas (Falklands).

Respect for those who has fallen in this war.
  3. Old Comment
    Looks like its comming along great Rhino, cant wait to see how the huge map works out and the mini-mod altogether.
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spartan463 View Comment
    Looks like its comming along great Rhino
    Not to mention this video was shot two weeks ago

Cheers
  5. Old Comment
    Looking great. Definitely an interesting conflict, and suitably "small" to be represented in PR.
  6. Old Comment
    Wow, Rhino... amazin Mirage models+textures! Nice low fly-by (although they're shooting their two [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFA_cannon]30mm DEFA[/url] for no reason... ^^) btw what AA you were sitting in?
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Comment
    Wow, Rhino... amazin Mirage models+textures! Nice low fly-by (although they're shooting their two 30mm DEFA for no reason... ^^) btw what AA you were sitting in?
    The Mirage IIIEA model and textures are both from AIX (I plan to credit them officially later), although I've fixed up the model quite a bit with a bunch of errors fixed and band new lods/cols fit for 3km VDs
    It actually needs a new texture as per this topic, as its currently got an MEC woodland skin from AIX, although quite close to what the Argies used, dose have MEC flags on it
    https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...ml#post1773627

And ye, they are shooting there cannons at nothing, as they didn't have any bombs on the version of the jet they all took

And I was sitting in the standard stationary Stinger AA from, hopefully will replace that in the long term with something more fitting
  8. Old Comment
    Of all the times I've ever gotten into a jet in PR (not a lot), I've never even thought about trying to get that low to drop a dumb bomb below the arming distance. Hopefully this encourages more awesome fly-by's for the grunts! Lol
    Posted 2012-05-21 at 14:22 by Stealth Clobber Stealth Clobber is offline
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Comment
    (although they're shooting their two 30mm DEFA for no reason... ^^)

OT: Nice work Rhino, really looking forward to this mod
  10. Old Comment
    nice one rhino.
    RIP all the soldiers who lost their lives in that war