project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Hitperson
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
Jumping on the band waggon.
Posted in: Uncategorized
Posted 2010-01-21 at 00:37 by Hitperson

following the trend of people who don't actually do anyting but write a blog for the hell of it, i am posting mine.

yes it's me the wired and obscure lurker that you offten see passed out in the corner or shouting at passing strangers (and yes that is a picture of JS. Bach wearing some nifty shades as my avatar).

Anyway, if asked what i do on the dev team my answer would most likely be "Stuff".

i don't work as a developer but those of you able to read may have noticed that i have "tournament lead" stenciled under my name in the pretty blue that goes for all things Dev. My job is to run the Project reality tournament (and i have been for over a year now), a team based battle simulation for the mod, rather than the small scale scrims that occour between clans we allow players to integrate and meet new or old fogies (veterans) of project reality and to play in a structured manner where you can beat the snot out of your mates every other week. (excluding holidays and downtime) without any of the physical and legal repocussions that might occour if you were to commit such acts outside of the videogaming world.

What my job entails (appart from sitting back and screaming when it all goes wrong) is (as a basic function) keeping it all running smoothly, i sit behind my desk and deal with the majority of backend issues and requests (i.e changes to users, modderation rights, creating new forums and whatnot). back in the day i also used to source servers for the PRT as we required outside donation from clans to support our battles but now we use servers provided by Alpha Networks to run our battles on, Staffing matters go through me as well so any requests to join the admin team, battle admin team and T-MOD team go through me and then i consult with the rest of my team. I also have the task of dealing with the less well behaved members of the tournament and in the past have had to remove people for their innability to act maturly in public or on the tournament.

then along with that we have the pre and post battle setups which in which each team "invests" a certain number of tickets out of their total into the battle, after we calculate the remaining tickets for the teams this uses the loss of territory, the ammount of tickets invested and left over at the end (yes we have had some 4 hour long battles which have run out of time.) and weather tickets need to be deducted regarding complaints made for rule breaking during the battle.

after this the map is then updated and the relevant information is entered into the tables to give the final tickets remaining.

Post campaign the admin team, commanders and a select group of individuals form the "Admin Project Group" and we work together to brainstorm new ideas, raise any bugs/issues and decide on the continuing direction of the tournament for the next campaign.

this job requires what can only be described as an imense ammount of time and dedication to run and i would like to thank my excellent admin team who help hold it all together, Thanks guys!!

that about covers it and what i do really.

and sadly no pictures of a sister as i am lacking one, i do have a brother though:-)
Views: 14934 | Comments: 8

Comments
Total Comments: 8
  1. Old Comment
    TL, DR: I make sure they fighting monkeys are fed, the cages are cleaned out from time to time and the corpses are disposed of.
  2. Old Comment
    Nice, get dev status for doing simple math :P, no wonder the tournament fails :P .
    Updated 2010-01-21 at 01:59 by octo-crab
  3. Old Comment
    You da man. :O Tournament is not fail. lol
  4. Old Comment
    not quite.

i struggle with the math
  5. Old Comment
    Haha I should write a blog too, following in the "I kind of sort of do stuff but havent for a bit" tradition

But I guess with mapping its a bit different as the process takes some time

Nice to hear what you do
  6. Old Comment
    <3 to you too boss x
  7. Old Comment
    Hitperson is cool. Oh, we are lacking the scores for the last few battles. :P
  8. Old Comment
    Hitperson is awesome.