project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Nosferatu
08 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
Rant 3: Acapulcopsis Now
Posted in: Uncategorized
Posted 2012-03-26 at 08:58 by [R-DEV]Nosferatu

How about recalling some words of wisdom from Mr Tarantino?

[YOUTUBE]pseGtp0z0F0[/YOUTUBE]

Remember, we will get back to that. Now, let me speak about very important trouble of today's world.

Every time I open browser now, I find out that BioWare pissed gamers off one another time. And it's not just because my FB still has subscription on Mass Effect 2 news, this stuff is all over the internet now. Hell, even Forbes writes about how ME3 most notorious features - day one DLC and questionable ending are not that cool. That's the freaking Forbes we are talking about, magazine that praises oligarchs robbing their countries for natural resources and finance moguls meatspinning entire world for more cash! And yet somehow Bioware topped all of them and outdone that Kony guy as world's new evil, right now world is on the edge of chaos and president Obama blessing SEAL Team Six to take out BioWare's CEO Ray Muzyka.

So how it came down to that? Let's find out.

To be frank, many of us have seen something like this coming. First, BioWare started to fight used copies sellers of ME2 by allowing to download character DLC only to people who spent money on new copy of thye game. Sure, you would pay more money on a new copy than on a used one, but that DLC came as reward for doing it and that was OK. But EA and BioWare still weren't satisifed and that's how we came to day one DLC "From Ashes", featuring story-important Prothean character. And that DLC was for money. And they said DLC development wasn't part of main game development. I really don't want get into that, let's just ask Shepard himself what he thinks about it:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7udPO.jpg[/IMG]

Worth thousand words, commander.

Yeah, this action drops some shadow on producers of the series and makes EA & BioWare executives look pale, but it doesn't make franchise worse, right? Mass Effect is still an epic experience of mindless messing with ancient civilizations, boning the blue creature, having bizarre stereotypes as your room mates and watching Miranda's perfectly smooth ass on wall-wide FullHD plasma panel. We all enjoy precious memories about hours and hours spent riding in Mako IFV on random-generated landscpaes or listening about deep worries and troubles of our companions (because listening every day about your girlfriend's problems is just not nearly enough). And we were able to punch reporter in the face - unbelievably satisfying, especially after watching Euronews! All of this joy could have led only to spectacular ending where all ends will met and all of your choices would suddenly matter for fate of the Galaxy. But suddenly something went wrong. For number of reasons I have not played ME3 at all and haven't seen ending in question (don't forget to spoil those bollocks in the comments), but what I understood is that stuff goes boom in three awesome, totally different colors.

Bricks were immediately shat and internet petitions were signed. Of course, some people accepted the ending and learned to love what they got for 60+10 dollars/euros, but they don't visit Penny Arcade and ME forums, so who cares? BioWare was in denial, but suddenly Mr Muzyka declared that ending will be revised in the upcoming downloadable content. Beautiful flowers of hope blossomed in the hearts of fans, because their dream of riding Normandy in the sunset and living happily ever after with that dude from engine deck could actually come true. Protesters decalred themselves winners and now getting ready to pay for one more awesome DLC. The end?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3C6zz.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe so, but what we got for starting price is the game without plot-important character, without real ending and we actually supposed to be happy that it would be given to us later, for affordable price. Reminds that Tarantino joke from beginning, right?

Yes, developers need our money to survive and continue to make new great games about Miranda's family treasures, but using such market strategies IMO only alienates players and makes them think twice before buying new AAA title from EA or BioWare. I'm not against DLC, not a fan either, but I bought ME2 DLCs and had no regrets, while can't say the same about ME3 and future titles. Instead of all this crap about day one DLC, they could have stated that game would cost 70 $ and no less. Oh, I'm sorry, 69.99$, because some wise people still think this small trick works. Remember, people, publishers are testing you, how far will you go, how much you will be ready to pay for anything - from weapon skins with Little Pony to metal statue of Shepard's turd in natural size. If you are OK with paying more for things that supposed to be in game from the beginning, if money are literally burning your pocket - fine, if you are not - say it with your money. If you won't buy it, publishers will get a clue and maybe even that weird "military" guy from Modern Warafre 3 promos will stop calling you "bitches"!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Tjsyu.jpg[/IMG]

And this is how we will get nice things.
Views: 79197 | Comments: 12

« Previous Entry  |  Main

Comments
Total Comments: 12
  1. Old Comment
    More PR, less offtopic blogs! :D I get extited for some news, just to find rant about something i dont give a fuck about. :(
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    More PR, less offtopic blogs! I get extited for some news, just to find rant about something i dont give a fuck about.
    I can just sign that.
    Posted 2012-03-26 at 09:41 by -|Tactic|-Japsen -|Tactic|-Japsen is offline
  3. Old Comment
    DLC is lame.

However, most gamers are cattle and act like it.

Hypocrites who rage about EA privacy policy and not being able to trade used games then buy the game and then get the DLC too. People just can't seem to accept that they're supporting the business when they just keep on buying it all.
  4. Old Comment
    People just can't face true written by developers because it's not like it should be. Damn, I finished the game and ending was as it should be - epic, proper as it should be for such trilogy as this one.
  5. Old Comment
    I for one like this article, it helps reminding people of that special rule: No applause for shit. Well done. I never played any ME, but the way their DLC-rip-off-policy will surely affect other titles and publishers pisses me off...
  6. Old Comment
    Ha-ha and I thought this was going to be about PR Vietnam. Silly me.
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cossack112 View Comment
    People just can't face true written by developers because it's not like it should be. Damn, I finished the game and ending was as it should be - epic, proper as it should be for such trilogy as this one.
    what is a face true written by a specific person?

and if your talking about good writing, no its not, a 4th grader could come up with better writing for the conversations made of pure unadulterated cheese (about half of them are like that), not even mentioning the ending.

This rant is what people have been saying all along, too bad no one follows through with it, and actually votes with their pocket over and over again.

I have no problem with publishers doing what they do with used games sales, TBH i find it worse than piracy, at least in piracy no one gets the money from the game, in used game sales the entire revenue of the product goes to the store, its pretty much like legal piracy (only less disc burning and cracks required). PC gamers havent been able to sell their games for how long now? I dont see anyone complaining about that.
  8. Old Comment
    Meh, I'm more than happy to believe in the Indoctrination Theory. Makes way more sense than the ending we were given. All Bioware needs to do is offer an explanation about what was going on in the endings, it doesn't even have to be DLC, just a forum post or something... That would shut most people up. But if Bioware does nothing about it, whatevs, I'm happy enough believing it was all a dream... Just a bit of a cop out though compared to the rest of the epicness the trilogy has produced...

Hmm, probably should stop playing Mass Effect already... Played ME3, then went back to ME1, then ME2, now back to ME3 and ME3 multiplayer... Meh, dev work can wait until next week... surely...
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    In Propaganda (1928 ), Edward Bernays argued that the manipulation of public opinion was a necessary part of democracy:
    The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.[11]
    Edward Bernays - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I suggest to [R-DEV]Nosferatu and any other R-Dev, and to others who are the public face of PR, that they read this book.
    It is free, out of copyright:
    Download here:

Propaganda : Bernays, Edward : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    Propaganda
    Author: Bernays, Edward
  10. Old Comment
    Well thought out/written rant. However, my only real comment is...what the hell does 'acapulcopsis' mean, if it is a word. I already googled it, only to be provided with this article.

@Ancientman- I tried going back to ME1, and I couldn't because the gun-play pissed me off. Only reason, and yes it is a tad bit ridiculous. But what evs.