project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > OkitaMakoto
04 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
[WIP] 4km Map, Tigris River, Al Kut
Posted in: Mapping
Posted 2010-01-21 at 21:40 by OkitaMakoto

So, in order to jump in on the orgy of DEV Blogs, I decided to write up a hopefully concise[edit: in hindsight, it's far from concise] and revealing new mapping project of mine. I'll throw in a few screenshots, a minimap render, and talk a bit about the vision I have for its place in Project Reality.

Where I'm coming from:
  • I've never been a fan of Kashan, but I love the idea of 4km maps.
  • I've always loved EJOD but I recognize it's far too small a map to have any significant place in current PR.
  • I love city maps like Al Basrah and Muttrah.

So what I decided to do, after making Ramiel as my first map, was merge all my loves, fix all my dislikes, and make one map to end all maps. Ok, not quite, but that was my logic. Ramiel gave me the basic understanding of mapping, it turned out "alright" but generally, I look back and I am light years away from impressed with it.

I also spent a year in Japan with a low end laptop on which my only war entertainment was Generation Kill which I watched repeatedly in the evenings when I wasn't drinking myself stupid. So this map also draws from Generation Kill [there seems to be a theme in my maps, eh?]

So, without further rambling, something I'm all to skilled at, here's a nice big minimap rendering and a few screenshots of my next map, Al Kut!

The first image is simply the minimap, the second is the minimap with a few CP ideas running through my head.

As you can see, only the bottom half has been started, and even that is a great work in progress. The green fields did not render, so I simply drew them in through photoshop to give you an idea of where the current fields are placed. There will be more, of course.

Compare to googlemaps: Al Kut

Ideas/Themes

Bridges, like on Qwai will be a deciding factor in the maps play. Holding the bridges will enable things aside from infantry to advance across the map.

I wanted to stress the place for recon/infantry squads. There is a lot of tree cover, hedge rows, and crop fields at varying heights. No Kashan Kilimanjaro hills for tanks to snipe from.

Not Kashan. Kashan looks awesome, but its too barren for me. Too deserted. I mean, that's what it's supposed to be, but I want a more packed 4km map for combined arms.

I'm shooting for diversity as well:
  • City in the center
  • Oilfelds in the southwest
  • Crop/farmland near water
  • Expansive deserted airport
  • Walled in compounds throughout the desert highways in varying levels of disrepair
  • A number of new statics requested for this map
The list goes on...

Anyway:

Here's some screenshots from in game. Keep in mind, again, that these screens are a few months old, and even still it is pretty much a total Work in Progress. I'm into my last semester in college, so while I have little coursework, I still have the stresses of it being my last days here on campus, etc before I become a working man/apply for Marine OCS

Gameplay ideas:
Will have tanks, APC's, and both transport and attack helos. No jets. Each team, probably MEC and USMC, will have similar loadouts, perhaps a bit different for some variety. Light transport like Humvees will also be included.

Hope you all enjoy it, maybe you're a bit excited, and just keep a lookout for more info!
Updated 2010-01-23 at 06:16 by OkitaMakoto
Views: 31370 | Comments: 29

Comments
Total Comments: 29
  1. Old Comment
    that looks sick
  2. Old Comment
    Very stoked about this! I agree with what you were saying 100%. Keep up the awesome work...you be workin.
  3. Old Comment
    Okita we need TOW humvees! Please or my heart will bleed a lot of seed and will turn to weed.

I agree with everyone else it looks really, really good!! I can't wait to play on these maps you tease us with!
  4. Old Comment
    whoa AL kut map ! I just did 6 months in al kut on my last deployment. I left in Nov 2009. There IS a Large US Army Fob called FOB Delta wrapped around the Airfield. I cant wait to play this map.

-The USMC doesn't operate that far east in Iraq this should definitely be a US Army map
    -There are no fixed wing Aircraft stationed at FOB Delta just 2 Aviation Squadrons one of them operated AH64 Apaches

IF any DEVs have in questions about Al Kut or Fob Delta feel free to PM
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jester617 View Comment
    whoa AL kut map ! I just did 6 months in al kut on my last deployment. I left in Nov 2009. There IS a Large US Army Fob called FOB Delta wrapped around the Airfield. I cant wait to play this map.

-The USMC doesn't operate that far east in Iraq this should definitely be a US Army map
    -There are no fixed wing Aircraft stationed at FOB Delta just 2 Aviation Squadrons one of them operated AH64 Apaches

IF any DEVs have in questions about Al Kut or Fob Delta feel free to PM
    PM sent, hit me back when you get a chance
  6. Old Comment
    Will there be a cobra or will there be a shamal?
  7. Old Comment
    Shameless bump .. sort of..
    Still working on this?
    Posted 2011-10-15 at 03:03 by mockingbird0901 mockingbird0901 is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Dude, what happened to this map? I've never seen it in a release and Mother of God there aren't enough USMC maps, let alone a 4km USMC map.
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangeface View Comment
    Dude, what happened to this map? I've never seen it in a release and Mother of God there aren't enough USMC maps, let alone a 4km USMC map.

?