project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Armor Tactics
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-04-11, 16:36   #11
Alex6714

Default Re: How to evade APCs with helicopters?

Why everyone resorts to damage assessment I don´t know but thats not the only factor, also factor in the rather bad health system which doesn´t differentiate between nothing and vital parts, and the (compared to real life) dismal view distance and ballistics.
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 17:16   #12
=]H[=TangFiend
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffertape View Post
Mainly cos the turrets turn using the mouse and we dont have realistic helo damage properties.
At the risk of derailing the thread, why are some of the choppers so delicate?

The chinook is the only chopper that really seems to feel meaty and rugged.

The littlebirds feel like balsa wood up there.
A couple of hits from a pkm (which you often don't even hear, you just see red screen) and you are on fire and crashing.
=]H[=TangFiend is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 17:47   #13
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6714 View Post
which doesn´t differentiate between nothing and vital parts,
this is a point that I do agree with,

now I apologise for any mistakes since this isn't my area -

materials determine how each kind of projectile interacts with each section of a vehicle - which is why the BTR60 was fucked up since some of the materials reacted to small arms.

here is the lynx

now, this is decal mode, which shows materials correct?

this means that your giving the same amount of damage to the chopper no matter where your hitting it since only the seats, skids and glass are different materials correct?

surely the main body damage should be decreased and sections identified aroudn the rotorheads or engines etc that can be selected as high damage zones? I'm not sure how this is accomplished, and understand if its too difficult or has a low effort - reward ratio.

This same concept for more complicated damage zones could also be applied to ground units, however it would take a case by case basis with alot of military advice.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 17:49   #14
killonsight95
Supporting Member

make the heli and rotor blades different objects and make them shld onto each toher or something i dunno

killonsight95 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 18:15   #15
Qaiex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6714 View Post
Why everyone resorts to damage assessment I don´t know but thats not the only factor, also factor in the rather bad health system which doesn´t differentiate between nothing and vital parts, and the (compared to real life) dismal view distance and ballistics.
This, and the fact that since we can't have realistic distances ingame, helicopters are going to be 50 times closer to the action than they would normally be.
In reality an APC could probably do as much damage to a helicopter as it does in PR, if not more, but it never would because helicopters would never be 100 meters away from enemy APC's.

So it's not that the APC is overpowered, it's that the helicopter doesn't have access to a realistic playstyle.

Also rudd, wouldn't it be possible to just make different parts of the helicopter different materials? Making the engine some light material and making the non-vital parts of the helicopter something more durable to reflect that shooting there really doesn't damage it.

Concrete or iron plates or something?
Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 18:34   #16
steve_06-07

If I start taking APC fire I like to fly away in a zigzag type matter and fly low to get behind any kind of cover.
steve_06-07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 20:11   #17
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Also rudd, wouldn't it be possible to just make different parts of the helicopter different materials? Making the engine some light material and making the non-vital parts of the helicopter something more durable to reflect that shooting there really doesn't damage it.
thats kind of what I'm asking as well, its outside my area of expertise, so I dunno

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
apcs, evade, helicopters