project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Modding Tutorials
08 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modding Tutorials Information and tutorials related to modding BF2.

Old 2010-04-29, 23:05   #1
Salmonella
Default Ambient Occlusion Script For Photoshop

Hey folks, i've been around seeking good programs to ease up creation of the details for my models.
My first attempt was make highpoly models to bake, but it takes triple time to model and several hours testing and baking, until a "clean bake".
Luckly I found this

Infinity - Texture Kit 0.7

it is from "infinity" game community, all those scripts was made by a guy called "Space", he have other usefull stuff, but heres the one I'm talking

http://3d-output.com/spAce/files/spA...ons%200.73.atn

to keep it simple, you draw the height map and click "play" on the script "bump to ao", and its done.
It generate a fake AO map, based on the relative height you set, isn't perfect, but is more than enough for gaming purpose, it works even better with flat surfaces, like plates, holes bolts etc.

see this example, together with Nvidia Normal Map plugin, you can achieve similar results, without the pain of highpoly bake.

hope it helps, and thanks to Space.
Salmonella is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 11:13   #2
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [tip] Ambient Occlusion Script for Photoshop

Pretty useful, I will advise it to Bao

Hauteclocque is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 11:55   #3
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

cool, thou I prefer normal AO baking. + you do know you can AO bake a low poly model effectively as well? not in the same way above where you are also baking normal details but still useful

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 02:55   #4
Salmonella

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
cool, thou I prefer normal AO baking. + you do know you can AO bake a low poly model effectively as well? not in the same way above where you are also baking normal details but still useful
of course, you can bake all kind of things, not only ultrahigh models, I'm just saying that for flat/ortogonal details, like bolts, plates, little bumps this script is very handy.

I think that the time you save in modeling/setting up the bake plus rendering time, worth the quality loss.

for organic or really complex geometries the bake is the only way, but for our usuall gaming purpose this script is great, like I said before, more than enough.
Salmonella is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ambient, occlusion, photoshop, script, tip, tool