project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Old 2010-09-19, 01:30   #1
Qwertfyu2
Default Gateway Laptop

Hi,

I understand that making a computer can be fun and you can get every little thing you want, I understand that it can cost the same as a manufactured computer that is "out of the box" and all you need to do is plug it in and go.

I'll be recieving a computer for my b-day which is coming up soon(which is why I won't be building one) and I've been looking at different computers and not being one who totally understands computers(however I know more than some) I would like to have some feedback on this computer and if it would be able to play project reality on medium settings and not lag! I have a good internet connection and it has always been the processor, graphics card, and RAM that slows me down. It's been forever since I've played PR and playing videogames for fun it would be nice to play without continuous lag. Here are the specs and the price is $579.99 at Best Buy. Tell me what your thought is and suggestions. Thanks.

Gateway - Laptop / Intel? Core? i3 Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Silver

?6-cell lithium-ion battery (4400 mAh)
?AC power cord, AC power adapter
?Software: Adobe Reader 9.1, Adobe Flash Player 10; Nero 9 Essentials
?Owner's manual
?Intel? Core? i3-350M processor
Features Hyper-Threading Technology, 1066MHz system bus, 3MB L3 cache and 2.26GHz processor speed.
?Intel? Core? i3 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance for HD quality computing. Intel? HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
?4GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power.
?Multiformat DVD?RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD and CD media; also supports DVD-RAM.
?14" LED-backlit high-definition display
With Ultrabright technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
?500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
For fast read/write times.
?Intel? Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Feature up to 128MB dedicated video memory for intense detail. Two built-in stereo speakers with Dolby Home Theater v3 audio enhancement for rich sound. HDMI port for flexible connectivity options.
?Built-in 1.3MP high-definition webcam with microphone
Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.
?Digital media card reader
Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.
?4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
?Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Wirelessly connect to the Internet.
?Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
?Weighs only 5.1 lbs. and measures just 1" thin
For easy portability.
?Long battery life
Of up to 4 hours to give you more time away from an outlet.
?Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
?Best Buy pc app
Your one-stop shop for digital software, games and more! Learn more.
?Software package included
With Adobe Reader 9.1, Adobe Flash Player 10 and Nero 9 Essentials. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office also included.
?ENERGY STAR qualified
Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
?Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
Qwertfyu2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 02:07   #2
Johncro
Default Re: Gateway Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertfyu2 View Post
Hi,

I understand that making a computer can be fun and you can get every little thing you want, I understand that it can cost the same as a manufactured computer that is "out of the box" and all you need to do is plug it in and go.

I'll be recieving a computer for my b-day which is coming up soon(which is why I won't be building one) and I've been looking at different computers and not being one who totally understands computers(however I know more than some) I would like to have some feedback on this computer and if it would be able to play project reality on medium settings and not lag! I have a good internet connection and it has always been the processor, graphics card, and RAM that slows me down. It's been forever since I've played PR and playing videogames for fun it would be nice to play without continuous lag. Here are the specs and the price is $579.99 at Best Buy. Tell me what your thought is and suggestions. Thanks.

Gateway - Laptop / Intel? Core? i3 Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Silver

?6-cell lithium-ion battery (4400 mAh)
?AC power cord, AC power adapter
?Software: Adobe Reader 9.1, Adobe Flash Player 10; Nero 9 Essentials
?Owner's manual
?Intel? Core? i3-350M processor
Features Hyper-Threading Technology, 1066MHz system bus, 3MB L3 cache and 2.26GHz processor speed.
?Intel? Core? i3 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance for HD quality computing. Intel? HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
?4GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power.
?Multiformat DVD?RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD and CD media; also supports DVD-RAM.
?14" LED-backlit high-definition display
With Ultrabright technology and 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
?500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
For fast read/write times.
?Intel? Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Feature up to 128MB dedicated video memory for intense detail. Two built-in stereo speakers with Dolby Home Theater v3 audio enhancement for rich sound. HDMI port for flexible connectivity options.
?Built-in 1.3MP high-definition webcam with microphone
Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.
?Digital media card reader
Supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card formats.
?4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
?Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Wirelessly connect to the Internet.
?Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
?Weighs only 5.1 lbs. and measures just 1" thin
For easy portability.
?Long battery life
Of up to 4 hours to give you more time away from an outlet.
?Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
?Best Buy pc app
Your one-stop shop for digital software, games and more! Learn more.
?Software package included
With Adobe Reader 9.1, Adobe Flash Player 10 and Nero 9 Essentials. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office also included.
?ENERGY STAR qualified
Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
?Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

No offense but a laptop isn't the best choice for gaming.

Yes it can play games and stuff like that. But in a year or two it would be obsolete
Because most laptops can't upgrade some core elements....

I would go for a cheap computer tower that is perfect to upgrade and get some quality parts for it... yes it may be time consuming but you still always have a PC to upgrade.
Johncro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-19, 02:27   #3
Qwertfyu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncro View Post
No offense but a laptop isn't the best choice for gaming.

Yes it can play games and stuff like that. But in a year or two it would be obsolete
Because most laptops can't upgrade some core elements....

I would go for a cheap computer tower that is perfect to upgrade and get some quality parts for it... yes it may be time consuming but you still always have a PC to upgrade.
Ok, so my dad built a cheap tower and bought a ginourmous 20" monitor about 5 years ago and it's still putting a long today. It can't support any real grapchics like PR but it can surf the web and etc. So should I look into upgrading the tower instead of just buying a new computer?
Old 2010-09-19, 03:35   #4
Johncro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertfyu2 View Post
Ok, so my dad built a cheap tower and bought a ginourmous 20" monitor about 5 years ago and it's still putting a long today. It can't support any real grapchics like PR but it can surf the web and etc. So should I look into upgrading the tower instead of just buying a new computer?
Ok... well that would be a good option, but I seriously doubt it has a good Mobo... you need to have a PCI-e (PCI express) slot on the mobo for a good card... ask your dad the specs of the PC and tell us.
Johncro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 04:29   #5
Qwertfyu2

Hey sorry for late reply. Here are the specs from the computer itself. This is under system Properties and I will list the tabs of where the information comes from. I only put the computer and the processor and btw the computer cant do any 3D graphics it can watch videos in full screen on youtube barely but other than that it cant do anything.

General:

System: Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Registration is not important

Computer:

Intel[R]
Pentium[R] 4 CPU 1.60GHz
1.60 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Hardware

Device Manager:
Desktop,
Computer: ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Processors:Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
Old 2010-09-23, 19:11   #6
SnipingCoward

As Johncro said, Laptops are not exactly meant for playing, if you are however trying to use one you will generally have problems with overheating. I suggest also buying a Laptop fan (goes underneath and supports cooling).

Your P4-PC is hardly compatible with modern hardware. Aside from the Case (which probably is noisy and has bad cooling properties) you cannot reuse anything.

You would have to get a new PC.

Also, when asking for advice about hardware, it is usually insufficient to state what the "Computer Properties" lists.
We need to know brand and model (+version) of each component for a high quality reply. Usually this information can only securely be obtained by looking up the reciept or opening the thing and reading it off the inscriptions. (I am not sure how acurate these program are and I did not use them myself yet but "Everast" is mentioned alot when it comes to reading hardware information using a tool.
SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, gateway, laptop