project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-10-19, 21:24   #1
AquaticPenguin
Default Throwing Smoke

I often see this in public games, when a medic is trying to revive squad members or when people are trying to retreat, people create a smoke screen by throwing smoke down at their feet or a short distance in front of themselves. I always see this as a stupid tactic, it means you are effectively blind and disorientated when you're reviving/moving around, and the enemy can have a good guess at where you are in the smoke from where it was thrown and players silhouettes appearing.

Whenever I throw smoke, whether i'm a medic or a rifleman I always throw it at the enemy, putting it a reasonable distance from me. If you can get it on the opposition then they have to run around or expose themselves to shoot you, if you put it between you and them, you have a chance to reposition and are at least at level peggings when the smoke clears. The trouble with putting smoke on yourself is that you can't move across the screen in the haze, and from the perspective of the AR they will quite happily spray bullets in the hope that they hit something, giving them silhouettes or obvious positions to fire at in the smoke and they will.

TL;dr; throw smoke towards the enemy so they are blind and you have manuveuring room.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 12:56   #2
Myru
Default Re: Throwing Smoke

or even better, shoot some 40mm smoke rounds with your UGL on the enemy position to efficiently deny their view, forcing them to change position, which affects deviation and cover.
Myru is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-27, 23:50   #3
Lugi

I suggest using frag ones if u can see your enemy.
Lugi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 00:04   #4
Shepard

Agreed, often when reviving it is better to not throw smoke. As i often snipe i know that a nice big white or blue cloud means 'hey some 1 wants to draw attention to themselves'. Youve effectively told every 1 within 100m where you are, i reckon its often better to epi-pen the wounded guys foot and have him crawl to cover. That way they do not know to keep watching his dead body or put fire on it
Shepard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-28, 00:09   #5
Weebz

If the sniper/rifleman/whoever still has a clear line of sight to a wounded man before smoke is deployed, he can aim his weapon in that general direction and fire anyways. Most likely a hit will be scored, meaning the medic could be downed in the process. That and the smoke deployed (especially colored smoke) will attract incredible attention. That's why I usually use a patch and epipen should I be in that position. It's also a good idea to move around on top of the body while reviving in order to avoid being hit.
Weebz is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
smoke, throwing