project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2013-01-05, 18:42   #1
ah64d_apache_longbow
Smile [Help] Missile proportional navigation

Hello!

I'm into investigating some still unclear stuff on BF2, that is PR modding, and this time it's missiles. I need help because I've been trying to do this in past few days without success. As I'd like the new PR 1.0 to be as much as real as possible, I think this would add much to realism.

I'd like to recreate real life missile's proportional navigation. It is set of algorithms that missile guidance section uses to navigate itself to target, to intercept it instead to follow its tail. All modern missiles use this, and you can sometimes see it going towards aircraft without even changing course, because it predicts aircraft movement.

Best depicted here (0:30):

Here:

I've tried several things, one of them was placing heat_object infront of aircraft which was too complicated and didn't work well. I also tried adding objecttemplate.follow.predictionfactor, but I realised it only works with older BF versions (BF2142 or w/e).

So, does someone know or has idea how this could be done. I think it would look much better, because only games like MW2 still have this, and ARMA2 has it like suggested here. So if someone has some kind of idea, let me know.

Is there a way that a command which is probably implemented into engine to be kind of "unlocked" for BF2 as well? (objecttemplate.follow.predictionfactor) It works with BF2142, and it should with this one.

I'd be willing to make if perfect and suggest it to DEVs.

Thanks,
apache!
ah64d_apache_longbow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 18:47   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: [Help] Missile proportional navigation

Quote:
older BF versions (BF2142 or w/e).
BF 2142 came after BF2(on which PR is build). So if it works in bf 2142 it might not in BF2/PR. But I'm no expert!

Good luck!

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 18:52   #3
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

This sorta thing to me looks like it cant be done without editing the engine (nor possible) or with a massive, 3rd party hack...

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 18:57   #4
ah64d_apache_longbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
This sorta thing to me looks like it cant be done without editing the engine (nor possible) or with a massive, 3rd party hack...
Thought so. It is shame they limited the engine so much, because I remember when I was scripting COD in heavily modified C++, it was piece of cake. You could create totaly new systems, that would behave as you wish.

Code that guidance section uses in real life could be implented trough several variables, it would be so easy with C language.

Is there a way you could create dynamic heat_objects on aircraft?
ah64d_apache_longbow is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
missile, navigation, proportional