project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
09 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2013-10-08, 20:32   #1
Cossack
Supporting Member

Default Lenovo Y500

So, recently I got my attention payed to this thing and I am impressed - SLi and what not. But is it really worth it?

I live on heavy budget and I don't have room for standard desktop (I really don't have).

Assembly looked like you don't have to unscrew over 9000 screws clean CPU fan from dust etc.

So yeah, looks very very appealing for me. Need more input about this one.

Thank you in advance.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 23:32   #2
Solid Knight
Default Re: Lenovo Y500

I have one. It's awesome. I recommend it. I can do PR on max settings at 100+ FPS
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 06:14   #3
ConscriptVirus

Y500 is a great system and is probably one of the cheapest bang-for-your-buck gaming laptops there is.

You won't be able to get 100+ fps but performance is still very good. I play on max settings (with extra enhancements forced through the nvidia control panel) and I get around 30-70fps depending on the map. It only goes down that low city maps during heavy action with a lot of people around.

If you're on a budget, you don't need the sli/second video card. PR is CPU bound so you should try getting the i7-3630qm if you can.

For getting to the fan, it's pretty easy. It's like 9 screws to take off the back cover, then 3 more screws to take off the keyboard and the fan is right there.

Cons:
Battery life is pretty bad.
It does get a little hot and palm rest may get warm over time.
ConscriptVirus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 08:37   #4
Cossack
Supporting Member

Thank you for input, I just need laptop, because its all in one piece and I can move it around. Dont care about battery life, because its purpose is to be powerful and somewhat mobile.

Also, the price with second GPU does not hit the price point @ what MSI, ASUS etc gaming laptops cost, so maybe even will go for second GPU.

Thank you again

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
lenovo, y500