project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Vietnam General Discussion
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Vietnam General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Vietnam modification.

Old 2014-09-25, 17:40   #1
Nightingale
Default View Distance in Vietnam Maps

Hi guys, I'm currently working on a 2km map for PR:V.

It seems to me that most Vietnam maps have draw distances which are less than the recommended 600 - 800 range for 2km maps. I assume that this is to allow for denser foliage than would be possible if the viewdist was > 600. It seems like it would be less noticeable to have smaller view distances in Vietnam, as there are very few zoomed-in optics, and very few vehicles have weapons with zoom.

Unfortunately, my BF2 editor crashes when it loads any kind of Vietnam map (except Ia Drang), so I cannot confirm this myself. But it seems to me that Vietnam maps do not have to follow the exact same guidelines as other maps to be included in PR... am I correct in thinking this?

If my guess is correct, then exactly what are all the specifications that a PR:V map has to meet in order to be included into PR?
Old 2014-09-25, 17:52   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: View Distance in Vietnam Maps

Guidelines are as it says on the tin, just guides of recommended targets and are not necessarily a requirement.

Old 2014-09-25, 17:52   #3
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: View Distance in Vietnam Maps

guidlines != rules. They are guidelines. Often VD is a sacrifice made to get indeed higher OG counts.

A specification is the same for every map: make it run as smooth as possible, push it all as good as you can get while keeping good FPS and keep gameplay in mind.

edit:Ninjarhinoceros

Tags
distance, guidelines, mapping, maps, vietnam, view