project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2014-11-06, 10:02   #11
fatalsushi83
Default Re: Greetings/Feedback/SL pointers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab View Post
A lot of people, including me get "stage-fright" How to overcome it?
not to sound like your psychiatrist or anything but i think the trick is to just accept the fact that youre going to be nervous. dont try to force yourself not to be nervous or try to hide it from your squad. if you take on that mindset and just keep on leading, over and ovet again, that nervous feeling will probably go away with time. at least thats how it worked for me. plus just think of some of the most incompetent pr squad leaders youve ever played with...how could you do worst than them?
fatalsushi83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-06, 19:30   #12
Wicca
Supporting Member

If you want someone to train you to be a squadleader I can help you out m8.

Ill show u how to rek people.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 21:51   #13
GeneralFondle

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Wicca View Post
If you want someone to train you to be a squadleader I can help you out m8.

Ill show u how to rek people.
m8 I'll train u, I'm euphoric
GeneralFondle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 01:58   #14
Danger_6

I have played this game for many years, most of which I have spent squad leading. The one piece of advice I can offer you is this:

Never stop learning. You will never know everything. Always take failure as an opportunity to evolve.
Danger_6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 19:31   #15
GeneralFondle

Thanks for the advice guys, just SLd on Burning Sands, previous SL left so I stepped up. Managed to effectively take down an enemy FOB, AA and AT. Brief yet mildly successful stint with one casualty and one major balls up (calling in CAS without seeing AA hidden in a depression by the side of a road). Got some flack for it, obviously, but I was very much encouraged by decent SMs and the likes. This game is mega.
Old 2014-11-10, 16:12   #16
LARIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFondle View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, just SLd on Burning Sands, previous SL left so I stepped up. Managed to effectively take down an enemy FOB, AA and AT. Brief yet mildly successful stint with one casualty and one major balls up (calling in CAS without seeing AA hidden in a depression by the side of a road). Got some flack for it, obviously, but I was very much encouraged by decent SMs and the likes. This game is mega.
I think it was I who left.

Like everyone else said.. just step up and do it. It's really not as daunting as most people would think. It just seems intimidating.

#1 suggestion would be to get your squad comms down. Numpad 1-9 and stay in touch with other squads. Always think about what you're going to say so it is clear and concise - let the listener know what squad you are from and where possible directly communicate with their squad using their appropriate number (squad 2 = numpad 2). Using * also works but that's for all 9 squads, so minimize traffic on this channel. This is the #1 thing for SL'ing effectively. Knowing where enemy squads, assets and FOB's are as well as communicating enemy CAS, Armor, and infantry movements are critical to winning games.

#2 let you squad members know you are new. Let them know your expectations from the get go, and allow very little room for leeway. Don't rule with an ironfist but kick the guys who are in it just to steal a kit and sit on a roof and snipe. If your squad members are not listening to you, just kick them and move on. Give them a few chances, but don't let them push you around or frustrate you. Keep the guys who want to work together, remove the guys who don't. You and your SM's will appreciate it.. and you'll find that your SM's will follow you from round to round.

#3 keep it simple and always approach with a goal in mind. Don't needlessly move up. Use assets you have available (again, squad comms.) call in a chopper or APC to move your guys. focus on supporting your friendly squads or step up to defend if you see no one on a flag. The map is very useful in this game especially when your team is using it - plan using this asset and according to where you see your team. Taking and holding buildings is very effective in this game, but it is critical for you to establish defense everytime you stop. keep a leash on your squad members and consistently look around to make sure they are fighting the way you want. Spend more time managing your squad and let your guys do the work. Mark targets for them and tell them what targets to engage. Make sure your flanks are covered etc.

Best advice I can give you though is to simply take it slow and take your time. You don't need to rush every flag, a supported team with FOB's and 1 flag will do much better than an unsupported team who has rushed 4 flags but has 0 FOB's.

Also, never be afraid to back out of a fight. Break contact if you are losing, get out, heal, resupply, then try again from another angle. I see too many SL's committing their guys 100% to the fight with no back up or plan to get out. This is wasted tickets 101.

Other than that, welcome to the game
LARIV is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 21:22   #17
GeneralFondle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARIV View Post
I think it was I who left.

Like everyone else said.. just step up and do it. It's really not as daunting as most people would think. It just seems intimidating.
Nope, my last game of the night I played with you as my SL, very nice aggresion and flanking movements by the way, they really didn't stand a chance ^^

Tags
pointers