project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Squad Leader Tactics
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-04-14, 03:08   #1
SeabeeDaddy
Default Placing Assets?

How do you guys place your assets as a Sq Leader? What I mean is, if you are putting down razor wire, does it place right where you aim? Or does it tend to be random? I was trying to place a fob down and assets to cover it earlier and just no dice, I dropped it on myself even though I was looking at open flat ground.
SeabeeDaddy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 05:54   #2
CTRifle
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Placing Assets?

RTFM!! Read the manual please! Youll learn quite a bit. But to give you the gist, to place assets you need
1. crates
2. officer kit
3. squad members to build it

use the radio in the kit and right click, hold T to bring up the comarose and boom, there you go. To place anything you first need a fob.

For the making it on yourself thing, if you look straight down, itll kill you, I usually make it and move my player so I dont get killed lol. Razor wire deplys across where youre looking iirc

CTRifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 07:05   #3
Portable.Cougar

10m in front of you for FOBs
5m for other deployables

Set the marker where you want it. Step back the tight distance.
They face the way you are facing.
Portable.Cougar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 00:59   #4
Cavazos

Usually a FOB is all you need, making sure it is low to the ground and hidden in a corner. Assets are only good if you need to be in a critical spot for a majority of the round. Most rounds, that will be never.

If you do place an asset, place it with cover between you and the enemy but still able to see. Such as buildings on each side of it while letting you see a commonly used enemy route. Or with trees in front but still able to see through the leafs.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 19:35   #5
matty1053

Here is the best tip for new or unskilled squad leaders placing fobs...

Never place it in the middle of the road. It is not invisible to the enemy team.
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 00:02   #6
Murkey
Supporting Member

This is a little old but should cover the basics and a little more:

To more directly answer your question, as Cougar said, it's 5m in front of you, but crucially this isn't in the direction you're looking with your mouse. It's the direction your 'body' is facing. So simply look where you want to drop the wire or whatever, then take a small step forward or back. Now you're actually facing in the right direction, and should have no problems. This also applies for placing markers on the map using the radio.

Lastly, besides objects, the other problem you might have when placing FOBs especially is terrain. Try to aim for a spot of land (10m in front of you) that is at the same height as your player. Good luck.

Cheers, Murkey.

Murkey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 03:55   #7
Portable.Cougar

Good point Murkey. The game handles it weirdly. Next time your playing look at the 3rd person model of another player. Notice that, as they stand still their head bobs back and forth like a prey animal drinking water. While moving forward or back the head looks forward.

Map markers and assets place based on where the head is. So yes, set your marker (10m for fobs & 5m for other assets) and back up away till you hit the right distance. As you do place the asset you are looking for.
Portable.Cougar is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
assets, placing