project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2016-04-19, 19:23   #1
matty1053
Default Which brand of a HDD should I purchase?

Well, I'm going to be getting a HDD for my primary computer (for games n' stuff) and then a ~8tb for my home security cameras. (I have 6 in total. 3 of them are 60 fps @ 1080p resolution, and the other 3 are 480p, which don't take much data up.) BTW, I do have a separate computer for the security cameras.

My question is; What brand shall I choose? Western Digital (WD) or Seagate?

Seagate: Surveillance HDD 8TB. -AND- 1tb desktop HDD

Western Digital: 8TB Security HDD -AND- 1tb desktop hdd

Both brands have mixed reviews, but I'm curious on what you guys think.
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-19, 20:28   #2
Rice N. Beans
Default Re: Which brand of a HDD should I purchase?

I like Seagate
I will say that sometimes with Seagate 'newer' does not always mean 'better'
and it may be a benefit to get matured versions of their hardware rather than whatever's latest-and-greatest
I say this because I bought a 1TB 3.0 USB external drive from them that had flimsy cable construction, and was at times unreliable if jiggled

I don't know much about security cameras but I did find one of these unused bad boys at a Goodwill for $5:
http://www.amazon.com/AXIS-Communica.../dp/B005DA1114

wicked smooth and accurate, works as a game controller, I just wonder what I can use it for game-wise

Humm, but back on subject,
since I don't know about how security camera software works I will throw out a perhaps useless nugget

I would prefix the footage files with a year-month-day-hour-minute-second for where the footage begins
such as '20160420135959 SECURITYCAM 1HR - backyard1'

but there might be a better naming scheme
I just do that with all my files, so when sorted by name they are sorted chronologically; when putting a search term such as 'backyard' all the backyard footage pops up including all the footage for 'backyard1' angle and 'backyard2' angle

I like dumping everything I've collected/created into a single folder (which also has a date prefix such as '20140101 mylaptopstuff' signifying date of folder creation) and then running searches within it for more specific things (such as .mp4 or .pdf, and then all the results are sorted by what date of creation I put in their filename prefixes)

I go through this rigmarole now because with all my data strewn across various storage devices I like to know what version of the files they are, so if I find '20160420 diary' and '20140101 diary' I can worry about the 2016 one foremost and cannibalize off from the 2014 one rather than get confused on what the hell I'm doing and where to begin, if they had no date prefix

With all these unsolicited pieces of advice said I will shut up now
Rice N. Beans is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-20, 02:29   #3
Steeps
Supporting Member

Default Which brand of a HDD should I purchase?

Samsung or Hitachi in my opinion. Seagate is not so good.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...le-hard-drives

Edit: NO Samsung any more. Seagate bought them in 2011. That would explain why my 2010 Samsung Spinpoint F3s are great.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-20, 03:18   #4
iglotruck

I've got a Seagate 3TB somethingsomething at 7200 RPM, never had any issues with it.
iglotruck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 10:36   #5
Michael Z Freeman

I bought this: Seagate ST3500312CS SATA 500GB 3.5" Hard Drive HDD 5900RPM 8MB Serial ATA 763649021682 | eBay ... and its been great, but it was not actually for my gaming machine so the speed might not be right, but its a good example of a quality product. Very quiet for a spinning disk HDD as well.
Michael Z Freeman is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
brand, hdd, purchase