project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2016-08-05, 05:42   #11
Hunt3r
Default Re: AAVs being soloable

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Alt View Post
Or you know, let it be.
I would tend to agree. Engagements of CAS vs AA should be inherently lopsided as IRL you really can't tell when an IR missile has locked on you and only modern aircraft have any missile detection systems and active IR missile countermeasures.
Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-05, 12:18   #12
Fuller

IRL a 9K35 Strela-10 aka. SA-13 Gopher which uses the latest 9K333 missile has a minimum engagement range of 800m and a max. range of 5000m.The target max speed [m/s]: approaching / receding is 415/310.
It takes about 3 minutes to reload the missles and there are only 12 avialable.
I think there are quite a few differences to our ingame experience, so we shouldnt compare both.
Id really like to see some changes to aircraft and AA ingame. Stronger Aircraft in general and more ground AA options.
-Something like 2 AA emplacements per FOB.
-2x IR and 1 SPAAG on a lot of maps.
- more bombs for aircraft so that "dumb" bombing is an option.(8x 227kg/no LT)
- faster aircraft respawn ~15 minutes.
- more flares.

that would hoepfully cause some gamplay changes e.g.

-enemy air superiorty reduces to max. 15min.
-more difficult dogfights due to the higher amount of flares
Fuller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-05, 16:24   #13
Quobble

Here are my 2 cents on this:

Anti Air in PR is insanely important when it comes to CAS and CAP supported maps.

Due to engine limitations the Devs have to create work arounds that...work on a technical but also 'work' on a gameplay, fairness and authenticity level.

Currently ground based Anti Air is limited to generally "lock and shoot" style, AAA is basically spray and pray. Every Jet and every CAS helo can be killed by a single direct or close hit from a missile but every aircraft also gets the generic SAM warning once locked and shot at by seeking warheads, au con?t?raire to their real life counterparts.

(most <5th gen fighter aircraft do not support an active protection against IR SAM threats or warning indicators against such, with the A 10 C being a well known exception - keeping in mind that many PR maps take place pre 2000)

Now to my suggestion to make it a bit more spicy for both pilots, SAM crew and insurgents:

1) Improve the maximum damage threshhold to destroy armed aircraft to resist at least a single direct hit from a MANPAD launched missile. Hit aircraft should start losing health, just so that it may RTB.

2) Disable IR SAM warnings for most aircraft with the exception of some types that do offer this feature IRL.

3) Introduce a new variety of SAM systems such as radar guided ground based anti air weapons. Those types will have a longer range, bigger missiles, first strike kill capabilities but also will be detectable by aircraft that are locked and fired upon.
Said SAM systems should be very limited, limitations may be long delays and respawn times, high ticket count, crew requirements and long warm up phases. Only conventional forces should have those weapons, giving the team a whole new branch of duties. (SAM killer squads, dedicated SAM squads f.e.)

4) "Make CAP/CAS great again!" Offer new layouts of CAS <-> CAP balance on maps. Give attacking forces plenty of close air support in form of helos, jets and such but supply defenders with more SAM and less fighters. Its always a pain to fly CAS on maps where the enemy team has the same variety of aircrafts. Dog fight maps should still exist, thats out of question for it is too much fun to shoot down enemy jets, but the focus should be on new and improved SAM systems as air defense.

5) Give more AAA weapons to insurgent forces, limit anti air to an absolute minimum. Since blufor usually gets smaller CAS aircrafts, anti air missiles would still be very deadly now. The focus should be on tripple A though. Hitting a Kiowa with a 20-30mm HEIT or HEFRAG shell from ground based weapons should be a big deal. This would encourage INS forces to act fast, fire from unexpected positions and withdraw swiftly if seen by CAS.

---

Now I dont know wether or not this all is even possible but I certainly feel better having written my sh1t down. Feel free to correct me if I was wrong at any point.
Quobble is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 20:50   #14
X-Alt

1. Slow AA missles down, a lot, retain manueverability. Remove VD based lockdistances, standardize to 1300 for small IR (Stinger\Strela) and 1500 for Gopher Type. Jet AA remains identical.
2. Increase flare count by 20%
3. Add missle launch detection (10+ second sound file of beep beep beep followed by blank sound so player doesn't know he's being tracked) to planes that can, which basically amounts to the A-10 and F-16 plus a couple of helicopters.
Make missile trail more obvious
4. Decrease 1man time to make AA more viable
5. Decrease critical damage bleed

MAKE PR GREAT AGAIN
Last edited by X-Alt; 2016-08-06 at 20:57..

Tags
aavs, soloable