project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-11-13, 23:50   #1
MRaza
Default Helo Launched ATGMs

Currently, PR has an array of different helicopter launched air-to-ground missiles (the Hellfire being one of them). In real life, the missiles follow a laser beam that is being projected from the helicopter. As a result, the gunner needs to keep the reticle over the target from launch till impact.

But in PR, all you have to do is click on your target and the missile will fly straight to it without you having to keep it in your sights. Is it possible to change the way these missiles work to make them more realistic?
MRaza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 15:41   #2
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Helo Launched ATGMs

Tbh i'd go for it, but unfortunately absence of stabilizers on helis in bf2 engine would make butthurt too stronk.

P.S. Also this is suggestion outside of suggestion forums

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 16:06   #3
sirfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rPoXoTauJIo View Post
Tbh i'd go for it, but unfortunately absence of stabilizers on helis in bf2 engine would make butthurt too stronk.
it's done 11 years ago in vanilla, you needed to keep clicking on target to guide the missile

edit: nvm it's another thing
sirfstar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 16:18   #4
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRaza View Post
Currently, PR has an array of different helicopter launched air-to-ground missiles (the Hellfire being one of them). In real life, the missiles follow a laser beam that is being projected from the helicopter. As a result, the gunner needs to keep the reticle over the target from launch till impact.
This is not true. There is a wide range of missiles with different tracking capabilities. The hellfire you mention does not need a beam to ride on. It can lock on after launch, so you can even hit things you do not see.
The Russian missiles mostly are beam riding, but as rPoxo said it would be too hard to hit something.
Then there is the Gazelle shooting MCLOS missiles, which we cant even portray let alone find players that would be able to hit anything

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 18:23   #5
anantdeathhawk

But in vanilla BF2 when you give no input the chopper levels itself with the horizontal axis and decends downwards slowly.
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 20:10   #6
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfstar View Post
it's done 11 years ago in vanilla, you needed to keep clicking on target to guide the missile

edit: nvm it's another thing
Technically we still have TV guidance like in vanilla, just the camera sit back on helo.

edit: it's another thing

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 23:15   #7
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
This is not true. There is a wide range of missiles with different tracking capabilities. The hellfire you mention does not need a beam to ride on. It can lock on after launch, so you can even hit things you do not see.
The Russian missiles mostly are beam riding, but as rPoxo said it would be too hard to hit something.
Then there is the Gazelle shooting MCLOS missiles, which we cant even portray let alone find players that would be able to hit anything
Why can't they just be made SACLOS like the Gazelle, the Havoc's double capacity would be offset and the HJ-8 would be immersive?

My immersion
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-14, 23:39   #8
QuickLoad

BF2142 uses a ATGM similar to laser-guided.
Here it's just clickclickclickcclicliclcklcicilcklciclkclckcilck
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-15, 01:22   #9
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

It's fine as it is. In fact I'm pretty sure there was a point where you had to guide the missile with your mouse before the current system. But yeah, most ATGMs such as the Hellfire can be programmed to hit GPS coordinates, heli lazers, infantry lazers, etc.

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
atgms, helo, launched