project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
08 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2018-09-30, 23:12   #11
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Add separate SPG emplacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldov View Post
A compromise of an extra 5 or 10 degrees de-elevation could be a simple workaround possibly? Deploying SPG-9's from elevated positions IRL is far from rare or impractical and with the far more restricted visual and practical engagement distances of the BF2 engine a limited 10 degree's de-elevation becomes far more restrictive for deploying the SPG-9 then it should be.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/me.../main_1200.jpg
An extra 1deg on its current mouse aim depression and the barrel would clip through its mounting.

And your picture shows it deployed very normally, in fact perfectly level so other than it being deployed on a roof, which you can do ingame too, it really isn't doing anything for your argument.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 02:23   #12
waldov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
And your picture shows it deployed very normally, in fact perfectly level so other than it being deployed on a roof, which you can do ingame too, it really isn't doing anything for your argument.
Thats besides the point because a relatively limited de-elevation for a weapon with the drastic trajectory drop of the SPG-9 isn't an issue in real life when you're typically engaging targets out at about 700-1000+ meters. If this was also the case in PR this whole thread would be a total non-issue, but due to game engine limitations I mentioned before its a serious issue, especially when you're typically limited too more then half that range, some maps even less.

The pictures I've posted below show just how flexible the Tripod legs are on the SPG-9 IRL. Im not sure where this idea you'd even need too place sand bags or cider blocks too position an SPG-9 too aim lower then usual comes from, but its definitely possible too do so without such measures (though obviously not typically needed IRL for the aforementioned reasons). Solving the SPG-9 in game might just be a matter of re positioning the rear two legs of the tripod slightly forward to improve lower aiming.

Last edited by waldov; 2018-10-01 at 02:38..
Old 2018-10-01, 02:39   #13
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

As I've said before in this thread:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by parch View Post
Of course it would be best if elevation could be controlled in similar way as turning, but I think animating it would cause problems.
That might be possible, but would be tricky if it is. Would require modifying the export scene at the very least which is quite a bit of rework.
And that was in relation to the tri-pod legs fyi and if you couldn't tell I also quite like that idea.

And while yes as per the OPs suggestion of having "two separate deployable with one normal and one elevated downwards with sandbags or w/e under the legs" is yes possible with exporting two versions and having them deployed by left and right clicking on the deploy button, with changes to the python code to allow it, it's not really the best solution in my book.

Old 2018-10-01, 17:29   #14
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I dont see two different SPGs solving this issue either. If anything, I could see us adding sandbags or something else below the surface and then allow the whole weapon to pitch using W+S which would show or hide the sandbags. Would look goofy, but not any more goofy then current A+D yawing w/o any animation.
But for that someone needs to update the model and iirc the scope in the export scene is wrong which causes all sorts of trouble with exporting it again.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 22:47   #15
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

That's not such a bad idea Mats but I was thinking more of using the skinned mesh modifier on the legs, similar to how the Mortar leg is done, which is harder to pull off but would probably look and work better.

Old 2018-10-02, 12:52   #16
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
That's not such a bad idea Mats but I was thinking more of using the skinned mesh modifier on the legs, similar to how the Mortar leg is done, which is harder to pull off but would probably look and work better.
Actually would not even need that. We could just make the tripod legs move.
Quick POC with 5deg pitch.

However like I said before the scope in the export scene is messy, so would need bit more work to get this in game.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-04, 14:17   #17
B2P1

That's a really beautiful solution Mats. I guess the mechanism of a tripod was still a bit too complicated for me to figure this out.

Also another thing: How come Roadblocks are so easy to place but placing other emplacements like AA or AT or FOB are so difficult to place and often suck you up and kill you (the Officer) ?
Last edited by B2P1; 2018-10-04 at 14:24..
Old 2020-04-20, 10:56   #18
B2P1

Bump.

Was this suggestion further considered? Still think it would be a very welcome feature for insurgency.
B2P1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-04, 11:20   #19
Niki-Tret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Actually would not even need that. We could just make the tripod legs move.
Quick POC with 5deg pitch.

However like I said before the scope in the export scene is messy, so would need bit more work to get this in game.
That is good idea, you don't need separate SPG emplacement just make this alredy existed one more flexible so it has good depresion and elevation. It would be fair because mostly factions with SPG emplacements play against factolns with Tow-s whic has ATGM missile, great depression, great elevation and alo you can turn it 360° very fast sk I think increasing of elevatio and depression on SPG would just make it more fair.
Niki-Tret is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
add, emplacement, separate, spg