project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2019-11-12, 15:55   #1
>para<
Smile buying second hand pc

guys im thinking to buy this second hand pc but before this im here to ask, can i play pr on max video settings with AA here it goes.
INTEL i7-2600K s.1155 QUAD CORE
16GB DDR3 SAMSUNG
PALIT GTX 1060 GGDDR5
and sata 3 hdd 1TB

opinions will be greatly appreciated
>para< is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-12, 16:57   #2
[R-DEV]​ALADE3N
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Re: buying second hand pc

if it has good single core performance , then pr is gonna love it.. and also maybe try to go for a 4th gen setup if there is any

ALADE3N is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-12, 17:29   #3
>para<

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALADE3N View Post
if it has good single core performance , then pr is gonna love it.. and also maybe try to go for a 4th gen setup if there is any
So i5 4th gen will be better that this i7?
Old 2019-11-12, 18:40   #4
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Yes, a i5 4th generation is better than the i7 you noted, with a big BUT...

That i7 Sandy Bridge CPU combined with the system you noted would certainly play PR at max settings and would get 45+ FPS at all times, even in the shit, with fire and smoke and spit and ass everywhere.

That being said, the CPU would be a very clear bottleneck in that system, and buying a system that old should only be motivated by a tight budget. If this is as good as you can get, pull the trigger and have fun - especially if PR is the height of PC games that you enjoy. Other more modern games would have issues, where the GFX card is capable, but the CPU is not.

Consider also that PR loading times have been linked to the speed of the storage device it is installed upon, so adding a simple 120GB Samsung Evo/Pro just for a game folder would benefit a PR gamer immensely.

___

The core of a system is it's CPU/MoBo/RAM combo, and usually these three things (often the cooler as well) must be replaced all at once, where the only savings you can take if needed would be to buy half the RAM you want, putting off another two sticks until later when they can be afforded. The point being that when facing a CPU upgrade down the road, you also must budget for the compatible Motherboard, RAM, and possibly a new CPU cooler.

If you put your money in the core to begin with, you can add other parts as you can afford them: like you could start with a less powerful GTX 900-series GFX card and still run PR at Max, and if needed, replace that one card someday down the road. Or better case. Or better PSU. Faster storage drives, etc...

FTR, if I was gonna get a 1060, that one you listed would be the last one I'd choose... Just saying. ASUS and MSI have much better cooling solutions, and offer much higher OC clock speeds for only slightly more money.

___

You didn't list a price, but IMHO I wouldn't pay more than $600-800 for a complete (aged) PC like that. You could build a more modern gaming PC for a budget around $1000 with a few concessions, just know where your options lie. Buying such an old CPU could bite you in the arse a few years down the road, where if you put your money in a wise purchase, it may give you 5+ years of use before needing to upgrade one or a few parts.

Be aware of these things as you move forward, bro. Best wishes and good luck to you! We're all happy to help with questions if you have them, cheers!

Last edited by SemlerPDX; 2019-11-12 at 19:09..
Old 2019-11-13, 16:45   #5
>para<

thats the answer im looking for. thats the explanation i need it.
my budget is very tight the second hand pc is 450 euros or 495.45 USD
my main game will be PR and may be later squad but main PR i dont play other games too much, warthunder from time to time but thats it. thank you for explaining thats helped me alot. the main point is that i want maximum PR experience. i think im gonna buy it.
Old 2019-11-13, 17:17   #6
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

For that price, if I was you, I would buy it - will last for years and will play PR, Squad and War Thunder very well. All those games perform well on entry to mid level gaming systems.

Later down the road, you'll be able to reuse the case, PSU, HDD/SDD's, and will be able to replace the GFX card easily if needed, improve the cooling if needed, or even replace the CPU/MoBo/RAM combo without buying a whole new PC. Have fun!

If it's Windows 10, I wrote an article with tons of tips and tricks to get Win10 to behave and to look & function more like the Win7 most of us gamers are use to - hope it can help you, too:
https://veterans-gaming.com/index.ph...windows-7-r80/

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-13, 18:55   #7
>para<

Thank you sir, i talk to the guy, im goning to take it, cheers for the advice.
Old 2019-11-14, 17:49   #8
PeppeJ

I used to run that exact CPU and upgraded to a i7-8700k. In PR the difference was negligible but it made a big difference in modern games.
PeppeJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-15, 18:35   #9
>para<

You are a wealthy man. I hopw some day to get cpu like you