project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2022-08-11, 09:30   #1
Crylink
Default Ascheberg - exposes the flaws of PR

0.introduction - Ascheberg , a map which is based of an area in Germany brings an experience to project reality of a clash between European forces and the Russian Federation. The map offers wide open fields , dense patches of forest and small towns connected by asphalt roads.
The issue is that by "simulating" this geographical location, many of PRBF2s flaws are exposed and are unpleasant.

The Flaws:

1.Wooden Fences - starting off easy , fences in PR are an object to assist in the players immersion in the game and to make the map more believable. The problem lies to the interaction between the Fence and the rest of the game actors(projectiles, vehicles and players). Vehicles moving through fences is janky and messy, all projectiles are stopped by even the thinnest of fences , and players often are unable to crawl underneath.

2.Jets
- Are overpowered and if flown by veteran players can decided the fate of round.
this is a problem because in a 50 vs 50 round , 96 players rely on 4 players to be the deciding factor. The team that lost all jets is bound to have to the rest of their assets bombed(Tanks,IFVs,TOWs,etc)in a few minutes which allows the other team to steamroll them(which really isn't fun for either side in my experience).
*note this problem is not exclusive to Ascheberg.

3.Field of view & video resolution - In PR different scopes and sights offer drasticly different field of views, this leads to extreme disadvantages to those with a high field of view. an example for this is a common occurrence of a sniper laying on top of a crane or a mountain canno't be aimed at let alone seen by a player with iron sights since he does not have enough or barely any pixels to even put the crosshair on the enemy sniper.
this leads to players with 4k screens to have a spotting advantage.

4. View distance - this isn't a significant issue when it comes to ground vehicles and infantry but greatly benefits CAS jets and helicopters which are completely masked by it.
this means that any CAS/AA/SPAA player has to constantly scan the sky in all possibly degrees only to have a few seconds to find an enemy Jet/Helicopter. This nullifies Anti-air against jets since they can simply climb at 600 knots at 40 degrees after a nose dive to escape line of sight.

5.Infantry Anti-Asset -
5.1 - TOWs - while very strong ,are easily spotted and countered by assets. problem lying in their inability to move/conceal and their prerequisite of a FOB & 2 large crates.
5.2 - LAT - while effective in urban and forest areas are hampered by their minimal ammunition , low damage and range.
5.3 - HAT - same problem as jets, 49 players relying on a single persons performance.

TL;DR - jets are op , infantry is bullied by heavy assets , Snipers and fences are annoying.

sorry for the long rant.
Last edited by Crylink; 2022-08-11 at 09:35..
Old 2022-08-13, 06:57   #2
Grump/Gump.45
Default Re: Ascheberg - exposes the flaws of PR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crylink View Post
0.introduction - Ascheberg , a map which is based of an area in Germany brings an experience to project reality of a clash between European forces and the Russian Federation. The map offers wide open fields , dense patches of forest and small towns connected by asphalt roads.
The issue is that by "simulating" this geographical location, many of PRBF2s flaws are exposed and are unpleasant.

The Flaws:

1.Wooden Fences - starting off easy , fences in PR are an object to assist in the players immersion in the game and to make the map more believable. The problem lies to the interaction between the Fence and the rest of the game actors(projectiles, vehicles and players). Vehicles moving through fences is janky and messy, all projectiles are stopped by even the thinnest of fences , and players often are unable to crawl underneath.
[U]
I thought you served in the IDF. Lets go over all the obvious then the ones harder to think about. Fences in real life can be broken by vehicles, especially wooden fences. Many fencses are also penetrable objects to my knowledge. Even if it wasn't bullet might break up a bit and lose some velocity.

Now for sometimes being able or not being able to crawl under fences, I know from paintball gear I can barely fit through a doorway. I can only crawl under certain fences without something getting hung up. Most BLUFOR wears load bearing harness and vest. Its realistic.

For the jets you set up exclusion zones for enemy with AA. Every complaint has a solution in the game. People used to take the anti-air vehicle out solo to "hunt" enemy CAS while the tanks are still alive. That is how you lose tanks to CAS. You gotta man it, make the ground a booby trap to air assets.

On Kashan one time, CAS pilot got mad at me cause I laze a tank on face of mountain, but behind the mountain was anti-air I couldn't see or know about. I kind of knew it was there but couldn't confirm, only knew because its the right thing to do to cover that tank.

Like every complaint has a solution. I feel its got to do with what people imagine "planning" as. Its simple, keep everything in view of each other, each asset including infantry compliments each other with what they specifically deal with.

With tanks never be the first to move up, always be responding to something. Gotta stay alive to make the enemy tanks worry about you, cause once you are gone they play with your infantry like its their food.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
rant