project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2023-02-01, 00:03   #11
dcm
Default Re: Insurgents feel too weak with the new emplacement nerfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalz101 View Post
I thought it was grump posting for a second, lol, anyways most real issues, from what I'm reading came around 1.5ish. Insurgency maps still feel "Bland" there's nothing interesting to do on those maps other than camp tunnels or stare at walls. It's impossible to do actual fighting away from the cache other than on Gaza maybe. I don't like gaza but lets be honest its pretty much the Muttrah of Ins maps (Fallujah is boring).
Well unlike professor grump who writes long theses about how to theoretically play PR. I'm in the shit and know how to actually play PR. No offense to the professor.

Insurgents suck because they're too weak offensively and can only reliably rely on suicide tactics. Whether it be civis or bombcars. Insurgents are stuck playing defense 99% of the time. I know it's insurgency but sometimes you gotta bring the fight to the enemy's doorstep. Other opfor factions are much more flexible and dynamic and can be both on the offense or the defense. Hamas, ARF, Chechen rebels, etc. That's what makes them all much more fun than the insurgents. Even on layers with little to no vehicles. Insurgents as a faction need highly clustered urban maps with broken up sight lines and lots of cover and shelter to be competitive. As soon as they leave that comfort zone, they're as good as dead. It's a pain in the ass to defend caches outside of the city center on basrah, karbala, and shadadah. Fallujah is 50/50 because it's so small. And because it's so small, armor can shoot across half the map with near impunity. It's a real bitch to root out americans camping the hospital on fallujah. Worse yet is if a cache spawns there. Bomb cars will not make it to the hospital without getting discovered and lit up. SPG techies are rare but too valuable to waste on fob assault unless there's armor nearby which almost always takes priority. SPG emplacements which was my number one way of rooting out entrenched americans, take way too long to set up and can be discovered very easily. With the ammo nerf it's so much worse now. And insurgents dont always have access to area attacks on all maps.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-01, 00:36   #12
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
Nah, Grump's dissertations read at a high school freshman or sophomore level - the above diatribe reads clearly at more of a high school junior or senior level, and far more sentences per paragraph. I genuinely felt the authors disdain for the evolution of this free game, it was riveting. The thinly veiled insinuations were quite suspenseful and kept me at the edge of my PC chair.
Well I would love to see PR release a commercial product. Because squad is mediocre. Squad takes the worst aspects of the milsim genre and doubles down on all of them(Why the fuck do I gotta beg permission from my squadlead to get a fucking car?). PR is free. Not just in cost, but in spirit too. It's less restrictive gameplay wise too. And that's what I love about PR. The freedom.
Old 2023-02-01, 16:06   #13
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
Well I would love to see PR release a commercial product. ...
Yeah, because that worked out so well for SQUAD.

I quite prefer the fact that you are not a paying customer who is always right. The Dev's have the leeway to take or leave any feedback such as yours. They have the option to completely ignore your baseless accusations and insinuations, and can focus on their passion without being bothered by the opinions of a rare few individuals such as yourself who spend more time complaining about the way things have evolved than learning how to "git gud" like everyone else.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-01, 17:01   #14
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Stay on topic please.

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-01, 19:18   #15
dcm

Is too much to ask to be able to request a rifleman kit with ammo for a single team? The dev teams obstinacy in this regard is puzzling, nonsensical and at times enraging.
Old 2023-02-01, 20:02   #16
[R-DEV]Suchar
PR:BF2 QA Lead
PR Server License Administrator

What obstinacy? Nobody from the team even addressed your main point in this thread. Nobody said we wouldn't do it.

A separate kit request menu for factions which need it is on the TODO list. We have very, very few people working on UI. If you want it to be implemented sooner, consider learning UI coding. HUD code is simple, it is open source and can be found in
Code:
Project Reality BF2/mods/pr/content/menu_server.zip\hud\hudsetup
You may begin with the 'HudElementsServerMessages.con' since it contains some new commands that might be very useful.

A list of HUD commands in the engine for reference.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic98978_4.gif
Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-01, 21:52   #17
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
I kept trying to revive .5 by running a 24/7 basrah server.
I remember playing on a 24/7 basrah server! And I played a lot. Can't remeber server name or which version it was running but it was around that time. Was it your server? It was THE Best Thing Ever! Always full, always fun. I still remember insurgent spawn points all over the map, molotovs, stealing enemy sniper and hat kits, etc., etc. Good times
bad_nade is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-01, 23:01   #18
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_noob View Post
I remember playing on a 24/7 basrah server! And I played a lot. Can't remeber server name or which version it was running but it was around that time. Was it your server? It was THE Best Thing Ever! Always full, always fun. I still remember insurgent spawn points all over the map, molotovs, stealing enemy sniper and hat kits, etc., etc. Good times
Was it .508 24/7 Al Basrah on the Devfile server run by desertfox? That existed in 2007 from about valentines day to around the 4th of july? No that was not my server. But my friends and I were regulars. Later on we did try to bring back a Project Reality .5 server many many times. Up until bf2 patch 1.5 which broke something that made it impossible to run anything but contemporary PR. But the problem mostly lay with the players themselves. They only wanted to play the newest thing. The newest version of PR. Nobody had any time or interest for what they perceived as old PR. We were able to get a few games going on retro nights. But it wasn't worth the hassle. Sad really.