project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2024-04-13, 19:43   #1
waldov

Default IED stats?

Ever since IED placement in Insurgency has become a widespread art in itself I have had a few questions I've never totally figured out or had answered:

What's the actual limit on water container IEDs?

How long until IEDs/mines despawn after you die?

What's the blast radius of the various IEDs? (Water container, AT mine, mortar, TNT small, TNT big, Artillery shell)

Do IEDs have a downward blast equal to their upward facing blast radius? (Ie. When IEDs are placed on funny angles or overhanging walls/buildings)

Does the explosion come from the entirety of the IED "dug up ground" model or just a central point? (Ie. If you see just the edge of a buried IED around a corner would you still be in direct line of an explosion coming from it?)

10 years of playing I've still not answered all these questions. Any info would be much appreciated.
waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-18, 16:07   #2
Grump/Gump.45
Default Re: IED stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldov View Post
Ever since IED placement in Insurgency has become a widespread art in itself I have had a few questions I've never totally figured out or had answered:

What's the actual limit on water container IEDs?

How long until IEDs/mines despawn after you die?

What's the blast radius of the various IEDs? (Water container, AT mine, mortar, TNT small, TNT big, Artillery shell)

Do IEDs have a downward blast equal to their upward facing blast radius? (Ie. When IEDs are placed on funny angles or overhanging walls/buildings)

Does the explosion come from the entirety of the IED "dug up ground" model or just a central point? (Ie. If you see just the edge of a buried IED around a corner would you still be in direct line of an explosion coming from it?)

10 years of playing I've still not answered all these questions. Any info would be much appreciated.
1.) 30 mines of any kind can be emplaced with IED kits, except victim operated AP mines like Argentinian AP mines, WW2 bounching betty style or grenade traps. 5 each for those. For IED kits its 30 yellow container IEDs, but any cellphone IEDs you place cut into the yellow victim operated mines count.

2.) IEDs only despawn if you leave the server, possibly even switch teams but that 2nd part IDK for sure. IEDs are subject to destruction by area attack, so build IED walls away from the cache itself so they are not affected. Also team kills, so place the IED on the enemy side of cover from center of cache, opposite side of cover from cache.

3.) blast radius is about the same or less than an RPG except for cell phone activated mines. Double mortar IED and Arty shell IED are the equivalent of area attack. AT mines focus on vehicle above it, but any vehicles making body contact with the vehicle destroyed by the mine get completely destroyed as well. About 1-2 meters radius.

4.) IEDs have a circular blast radius, placing them raised sticking off the edge of obstacles may increase lethality. since it is raised. Yes downward explosive force happens.

5.) I can tell you for sure, IED is triggered even without touching it, don't disturb the dirt.

50 players x 30 IEDs on insurgency is 1500 IEDs potentially. Always strive to reach this number, take turns placing and replacing as many as you can. Consider area attack location before placing large amount. Not near cache, IED blasts go through walls damaging the cache, not too close to roadblocks. Many walls, many corners. Enemy side of cover. Put it in furniture too.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-29, 08:58   #3
Edgederick
Default Re: IED stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter33 View Post
What are some potential risks and challenges of using IEDs and mines in Insurgency, such as accidental detonation, team kills, and collateral damage?
Almost no damage
Edgederick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-01, 07:21   #4
Grump/Gump.45
Exclamation Re: IED stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter33 View Post
What are some potential risks and challenges of using IEDs and mines in Insurgency, such as accidental detonation, team kills, and collateral damage?
Several tips... I have what I call experimentations in placement of IEDs, spots where friendly can accidentally NOT step on it, versus making enemy step on it. 30 IEDs per person total, of all kinds, cellphone IEDs cut into your 30 count of yellow containers/AT mines.

So 5-10 daisy chained command detonated cellphone IEDs, will leave you with 20-25 yellow IEDs, like the kit with the mortar and artillery shell IED. The cellphone IEDs act like an area attack when placed well spaced, with each explosive radius touching each other in slight overlap.

It would be interesting to see all 50 players place 30 mines, that is 1500 mines. Especially with Taliban Enfield kit, it would be interesting to see only bolt actions and IEDs against BLUFOR, ultimate guerilla tactics required. Shoot till shot at. Hit and run. 2 men with bolt actions are less likely to miss than one, iron sight sniper teams.

1.) placing IEDs in corners without completely blocking entryways, especially on cache compound. Say like doorways where you can still run through the door and just barely miss the IED, not reccomended unless you put extremely detailed thought into its placement, missing stepping on it down to the centimeter or inch. Enemy will step on them still. Just put IEDs out of the way of friendlies to the point you think enemy would miss them, but enemy won't. Less TK.

At times, when I have no grenades left, hopeless gunfight with too many enemies, I will dive onto a friendly IED. Same for being a civilian being chased with cuffs.. I stand near the IED then step on it when they get close.

2.) place IEDs on enemy side of cover from the cache, this way friendlies can still use the cover. Also if enemy tries to use cover, they step in the IED on it. Never put IEDs in a place friendly is likely to run out of to fight, not in a place friendly is likely to run to cover.

3.) instead of random IEDs, build IED walls, fill in gaps other players or yourself have left. Spaced enough so its 1 IED detonation per stepping onto it. If enemy is not RPG spread, for 1 man hit per RPG in a random scatter formation, its multi-kills still

4.) Never place IEDs close to the cache, even outside the building. Always place approximately 20 meters or more away. IEDs damage the cache if anybody steps on them when they are placed too close

5.) Some players who are toxic trolls will wait for friendlies to be around an IED to step on it so they can negatively impact a players experience for amusement at their frustration, teamkilling using another players IED..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3VIurl7en4

Just know this type of troll (any troll really) who teamkills by covertly stepping on other players defensive IEDS. This type of person would diddle a youngster if the law or parental guardians doesn't deter them.

Its a fact they get self gratification out of mistreating others without caring how the other person feels in relation to the experience, its selfishly about their bio-chemical dopamine rush regardless of harm done to others.

Socio/Psychopaths exist on all scale levels of behavior, minor behaviors which are an annoying toxic nuiscance and major violations of others rights/liberty/safety and the tranquility of others minds. They like to get a rise out of people..

I am sure they wouldn't want trolling done to them when they are just trying to have fun.. Why do people do things to others they wouldn't want done to them? From stepping on IEDs in a video game, to molesting people in the real world with their self gratification behaviors..

I am sure if they spent time placing IEDs trying to get kills they wouldn't appriciate their re-arm and placement times being wasted. I am also sure if they hurt a child and got sent to prison, they wouldn't want the same done to them by fellow inmates.

Then they talk back when called out or reprimanded for the covert behavior of using other players IEDs to mass TK other nearby friendlies, lying saying it was an accident. Literally reminds me of every Chomo that said they accidentally groped somebody or downplaying what they did..

So if you see a troll you know is covertly but intentionally harming your team, teach them some empathy with the dark flashing bleed out screen. It will slow their behavior down, they will have no right to wonder why they get shot. Never a need to TK somebody yourself, just make them need to use their patch.

Warn everybody about him. Its funny how they troll all day, but you put a shot next to them to tell everybody "its this guy, the one my bullets land next to" and they start shooting back at you like you messed up.

That is how bullies are, dis-respect you all day, but you stand up to them, tell the truth about them, they can't handle their own toxic medicine. You standing up to them is dis-respect to them. These people need a reality check and attitude adjustment.

Do unto others, as they do unto you. Don't start nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So again, only place IEDs where defenders don't chill at or step near. This trolling or otherwise unskilled behavior typically happens with players who come to Project Reality like its just another FPS game without doing research into combat skills, they get bored, they watch epic videos of the game.

They come to play, its not as epic as videos they watched then think something is wrong with the game even though its them, the player which makes the fight epic or very slow paced minimal shooting lame.

Suppression and Hollywood war movie actions come from 100 players shooting, suppressing, not waiting for enemy to decide to or accidentally reveal themselves, which in that case enemy only gets shot at when they want to. Recon by Fire, which I call probing (probe) fire can make them think you know where they are, then they respond revealing themselves.

Which is the case of people raised and who grew up on Call of Duty style FPS games, which there are many games.

We have body, terrain and bullets in a 3 dimensional environment, very realistic game where the side more knowledgable in combat aspects wins. Starting with spreading out, being in view of each other to save each other by seeing what is happening to other team members. Return fire to enemy gunshot sounds, tracer sources or any exposed enemy who is seen.

Men shot at naturally distract attention of enemy to them, men not being shot at return fire, changing roles as who gets shot at changes. 1 man per piece of cover, 1 man hit per RPG. Dodge gunfire, get shot at, move, get shot at again, not bringing the sweep of enemy aim over a friendly as you get shot at.

Too many people come here to wait till they see something to shoot at, despite all the bushes, hills, berms and cover enemy can use to move behind unseen.

Enemy is always somewhere on the 360 degrees of the compass at varying distances, more likely to be on bearings from their half of the map, so that is the way you want to shoot.

They could climb trees, suppress enemy, be on their binoculars, literally just play the game but decide to be toxic against friendly.

Too unskilled to troll the enemy or mess with their heads using tactics. Only people to troll is enemy with tactics. Get them pinned behind cover, keep snapping rounds past them to keep them prisoner there at least a while if not till death.
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2024-06-01 at 07:29..