project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
03 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2014-12-31, 21:06   #1
iwingi
Default Converting TrackIR 5 to FreeTrack input

After thoroughly investigating the issues surrounding the current head tracking software which can be utilized within Project Reality, I've recognized that TrackIR 5 cannot be made to function as a recording device per say. (Trials can be found in the original BF2 Freelook thread.)

Although, I've been researching solutions to the issue at hand and have gotten very close to it! I've been using a piece of software called FreePIE. FreePIE provides you with many emulation capabilities all the while remaining entirely user defined since you must program your own controller emulation. Why FreePIE? FreePIE is capable of tricking the TrackIR 5 software into transmitting it's values by running a false FreeSpace2 instance. In turn, we can easily convert these value's over to FreeTrack which is also natively supported.

Here is my example, a rudimentary demonstration of translating TrackIR 5 to FreeTrack. The points of interest are marked within the red squares. In these squares, I point out the FreeSpace2 instance which allows use to use the TrackIR 5's output along with the corresponding values between the TrackIR 5 software and the FreeTrack readout.

The issue? I can't manage to get an FreeTrack client emulation to run. In order for the BF2 FreeLook program to use this information, the FreeTrack client must be running or the FreeTrack protocol which head tracking software like FaceTrackNoIR use. This is where I'm stumped and need some help. If this manages to be a success, I'm sure lots of TrackIR 5 users would be quite happy. Happy New Years everyone!

Edit: I might aswell provide links for people who want to experiment by themselves. FreePIE can be downloaded here: http://andersmalmgren.github.io/FreePIE/ Although, I had some issues with Google Chrome and downloading the file. I've had no issues with the software, no alarms need to be raised. As for the basic script, here it is: http://pastebin.com/8d0B8MhM
iwingi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-13, 04:14   #2
Fabi4n
PR Server License Administrator
Default Re: Converting TrackIR 5 to FreeTrack input

This is really nice Quantum, you should post a video of this working, because this is pure gold
¿This work as a passenger of Infantry Vehicle?
Fabi4n is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-13, 14:57   #3
NorthernPryde

I messaged the guy hoping he'll get back to me help us out with a walk-through
NorthernPryde is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-13, 16:43   #4
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Are you guys aware that this is over 9 years old thread, and OP was last seen 8 years ago?
bad_nade is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-13, 23:45   #5
Fabi4n
PR Server License Administrator

They are trying to find this guy :O so they can work whit this.
Fabi4n is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-14, 13:22   #6
NorthernPryde

You never know he may just respond. Plus once a gamer a gamer for life 8 years isn't that far off.
NorthernPryde is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-16, 21:42   #7
THE MATADOR

Well, this guy did show up and he answered me, but now I have more questions. Here's the video, perhaps someone watching the video will understand how big is the difference of flying with a head tracker and can understand the improvement it gives to a pilot, at least on TRANS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbgeZxBA8SY
THE MATADOR is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
converting, freetrack, input, trackir