project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2007-06-18, 02:14   #1
Apheirox

Default Making infantry combat more realistic and tactical

/post before edit

Now, I am by no means a battle-hardened soldier or adept marksman. I do have some basic military training, however, and I know enough to tell you that not momentarily losing any accuracy when dropping from standing to crouching firing stance is not realistic.

What I want is a minor accuracy delay when switching to crouching stance. It should just be a brief delay, much less than when going prone, but noticeable nonetheless. Ideally, it should be so that when two players spot each other at short range (say, 30-50 metres) they will take the initial pot-shots at each other from a standing position before crouching. They should not be able to just automatically jam the crouching key and fire away with instant crouching accuracy.

/post before edit end

Did anybody play Full Spectrum Warrior? That game was built on a training simulator for the armed forces and as such was highly realistic. Great game if a bit linear, you should try it. In my opinion FSW shows exactly how PR should handle infantry combat. The biggest thing FSW does that PR could learn from is not being able to instantly bring up iron sights. We already have this on the machineguns but it should be on all weapons including assault rifles. Again, delay should not be as long but still noticeable. This would dramatically change the way the game is played: Instead of squads all moving at once in a big, messy mob and only pausing to fire, the squad would have to divide up in two elements: one moving and one providing covering fire. This technique is called leapfrogging. You can get a better idea of what it is here: http://www.fullspectrumwarrior.co.uk...s_playbook.php . Look at the first and the 'bounding overwatch' videos. In fact, watch all the videos. Even though PR is not this tactical you might still learn a trick or two. It also showcases the direction I would like the mod to go in.

Note that this iron sight delay would make life a lot harder on Rambo's who just charge in, the game would get considerably more difficult for inexperienced players and would require more patience due to the slower pace. It might alienate some players. The serious players and tactics fanatics like myself, however, would go ape.
Last edited by Apheirox; 2007-06-18 at 13:48.. Reason: Full Spectrum Warrior.
Old 2007-06-18, 02:18   #2
youm0nt

This has been suggested before...
youm0nt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 02:20   #3
Apheirox

In that case I apologize. I both looked through the stickies and used the search.

However, I think it is a worthwhile suggestion so maybe it is not all bad it is mentioned again. This should help make firefights both more realistic and intense as well as set the expert apart from the newbie.
Apheirox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 02:31   #4
Deadmonkiefart

Quote:
Originally Posted by youm0nt
So-Many-Times!
Deadmonkiefart is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 07:45   #5
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

I'd really love to see that delay being used on instaproning to fix it, not removed , so we also get instacrouching

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 07:57   #6
jackal22

hardcoded iirc
jackal22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 18:17   #7
gazzthompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by youm0nt

how dose that help ? atleast find the post and either link him to it or tell him what was concluded from the post.

and like jackel said its hardcoded i believe

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 19:03   #8
billdan

sux if it is hardcoded

i admit to crouch-standing quickly at different places behind cover, as well as occasionally insta-proning

90% of the time i kill the other guy
however unrealistic this is the players always have the right to take advantage of any aspect of the game to win as long as he/she is not cheating or glitching

as with the shouldering/sighting-tin delay-animators are needed
billdan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 21:06   #9
VipersGhost

Its all about finding an Animator. I don't see why we don't just hire a contract animator for 100$ off the internet and get the shite done. Its just silly how long this #1 issue has gone on.

Go to this link to hire someone. Why not? Hell its cheaper that spending your time on it. This is just one site..maybe too expensive but I GARUNTEE someone is out there and willing to do it.

http://www.gamecontractor.com/need_contractor.asp
VipersGhost is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
accuracy, crouching, delay, stance, standing