project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-07-25, 14:32   #11
Jimmy_Smack

On a more serious note.

While being spaced out in the squad I usually like to assign troops to be looking/facing a certain way to cover all directions away from the squad.

That is all.
Jimmy_Smack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 15:35   #12
Dark_Wolf

Also the medic should always remain at the back of the formation so they not only predict where fire is coming from, but obviously revive the teammates. You don't want medics to take point

As the SL will probably remain towards the back too in case of an ambush then the medic should stick close to them to heal quickly in case of injury.
Dark_Wolf is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 05:14   #13
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Good post, I totally agree its just always harder to put things into actual use

Ideally the squad should adapt to the terrain. So when crossing a bridge, heavy cover is given by one fireteam while the others run - due to low natural cover/camoflague

When they move over open fields, theres a long line of sight so the squad fans out alot. They can still cover each other even at distance.

Then in a city, the squad becomes more compact as line of sight is reduced. Maybe a buddy system, 1 troop covering another round corners.
Tight street corridors multiply the risks of grenades so the squad might totally seperate to approach a point from seperate flanks while maintaining cover and contact via radio checks.

All good in theory but Im sure most of us are waddling ducks in practise as we just get bored walking to where ever. Its nice to see tactics used & actually have an effect on your squad surviving or not though.

The SL staying back is another great idea in theory but not used enough. Check out assault on mestia though, the milita sl gets a sniper rifle so the game naturally gives him this tactical advantage
Sabre_tooth_tigger is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 01:01   #14
[HI]DrDNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by [W2D]BEEJ
Infantry Tactic:
If the enemy see one group coming from the north, they will all proceed to attack them while the flanking group proceed to attack from the south hopefully killing the enemy & securing the area.
While this can work in most situations, it's still not a good idea to have two squads facing each other with the enemy in the middle. I have enough trouble identifying enemy troops from time to time! Flank the troops, yes, but approach from "two touching sides of a square", such as south and west or north and west, for example. You're less likely to receive friendly fire and you can also throw grenades with more confidence.

I always make sure I'm spaced apart from my squadmates when moving over open terrain and I wish more people did as well. As has been said, not only are you more likely to survive a grenade/rocket attack but it's also easier to overwhelm the enemy with return fire from multiple locations, meaning he'll need to take cover or almost certainly perish. Usually if I rack up multiple kills at once it's because an enemy squad is bunched together.
[HI]DrDNA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-05, 12:30   #15
[SoH]Agent_KJ
Talking

thanks 4 the info...i only dont like 2 use voip cause i cant speak english very well but i hope everyone can understand it
[SoH]Agent_KJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 16:05   #16
nedlands1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead View Post
Actually the ducks have the right idea except they are ducks and are not suited to taking orders and fighting... If we suppose for a moment that they weren't ducks but tanks, APCs and support vehicles then we can see that they have adopted a loose panzerkeil formation allowing the strongest forward member to take the brunt of the attack leaving the weaker members relatively safe. Again if we presume that the ducks aren't actually ducks, in particular the mother duck is a IFV and the chicks are infantry then it immediately becomes clear that the infantry are using the vehicle for cover and are not as idiotic as originally presumed.

On the other hand there is a group of men walking in the middle of a rice paddy in the open just asking to be mowed down by machine guns and concealed gunmen instead of using the perfectly fine tree cover to the side.

I ask you who is more idiot?
nedlands1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 16:11   #17
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedlands1 View Post
Actually the ducks have the right idea except they are ducks and are not suited to taking orders and fighting... If we suppose for a moment that they weren't ducks but tanks, APCs and support vehicles then we can see that they have adopted a loose panzerkeil formation allowing the strongest forward member to take the brunt of the attack leaving the weaker members relatively safe. Again if we presume that the ducks aren't actually ducks, in particular the mother duck is a IFV and the chicks are infantry then it immediately becomes clear that the infantry are using the vehicle for cover and are not as idiotic as originally presumed.

On the other hand there is a group of men walking in the middle of a rice paddy in the open just asking to be mowed down by machine guns and concealed gunmen instead of using the perfectly fine tree cover to the side.

I ask you who is more idiot?

It's "Infantry Spacing", not "Mech.Inf spacing", not "Armor Spacing".

As for the guys getting mowed down in the paddy fields. That is the formation they should be in if a concealed mg opens fire on them. Saying treelines is assuming they can get to where they need to go by using treelines, which they most likely can't.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
infantry, spacing