project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
13 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-09-12, 20:49   #1
JohnnyPissoff

Default Fire control

Very hard discipline but very effective.

Fire control calls for selective and disciplined fire either infantry, armor or even naval.

- Squad leader calls support field right, meaning support gunner fires to suppress the right side of "our" field of fire. (we always own the field so when calling; field left or field right, it's always our left or right not the enemy's)
- Leader calls; Squad fire field left. Even if your under fire from the right you still must fire field left to effect full attrition over enemy.

I can better illustrate using tanks:
- You have one tank vs one tank you calculate a 100% negative attrition rate (the outcome is uncertain, no commander takes the chance with that kind of odds)
- multiple units even odds same attrition rate. here's the deal:
- If you have say 3 tanks on 3 and all fire at the nearest target on their own as in most games or "barbarian" armies your attrition rate is uncertain again.
....but if the fire leader calls "all fire field left" and if all things are even (both teams fire on target) and it takes lets say 3 good rounds to kill a tank, after the first volley one of the enemy tanks are eliminated off the field two are unscathed and all three of our tanks have one hit apiece.
- Next volley fire leader calls, "fire center field" the center enemy tank is eliminated they have one perfectly good tank left and we have three with 2 rounds apiece.
- Next, fire leader calls "fire field right" or just fire at field as there's only one left, he's eliminated and so is one of ours although we still have two viable tanks in the field winning the attrition and owning the field and the day.

Same deal with infantry, this tactic works best when both you and your enemy are stuck out in the open and you have no other choice but to engage. This stuff is hard to do as its rough not to fire at who's firing at you, although your support gunner should be suppressing that opposing field and that is all about trust.
JohnnyPissoff is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 12:16   #2
Salah ad Din

Sounds nice, but needs a disciplined squad (and a support gunner)
Salah ad Din is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 12:29   #3
JohnnyPissoff

Yea most definitely can't be achieved with a public squad. Nor probably not even within a clan, as most clans practice strategies and avoid the more seemingly boring fundamental tactics. Seems the only way to get this type teamwork action is with the 3-4 guys you jump in game with everyday.
Old 2007-09-19, 12:46   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Tried doing this kinda thing on Seven Gates, but the squad was all too scared to get up an supress the enemy, So i had to go rambo style, did well 2 However, i've been a squadmember in a squad on EJOD desert where this worked very well when we were trying to get up from ruins to east city.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 13:05   #5
Salah ad Din

public squad can be possible sometimes. SL must simply tell his squaddies in advance what he wants when he suddenly gives such an exotic order
Old 2007-09-19, 13:06   #6
Salah ad Din

duh, double post
Old 2007-09-20, 13:08   #7
JohnnyPissoff

Yea dig it, sometimes you can get lucky with the right combination of players in a public squad. But mostly you have to use the right tone and a bit of psychology and some luck. I've found that if I have at least one player that's as gung-ho as me about control and movement, the others will want to "play" along. Whereas if I'm in with mostly, what I call alpha-new-players (new guys that want to impress and earn their bones in game) It could end up like herding ducks, one wanders off you snag him back then another wanders off....heh-heh.

But I seriously think, we veterans of the community as well as the newer players that will follow our style, are getting closer to the coordinated team-play we originally came to this mod for.
Old 2007-09-20, 20:38   #8
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

i will use this next time i play. great tactic.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality
http://realitygamer.org/

LtSoucy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 13:52   #9
RHYS4190

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPissoff View Post
Yea dig it, sometimes you can get lucky with the right combination of players in a public squad. But mostly you have to use the right tone and a bit of psychology and some luck. I've found that if I have at least one player that's as gung-ho as me about control and movement, the others will want to "play" along. Whereas if I'm in with mostly, what I call alpha-new-players (new guys that want to impress and earn their bones in game) It could end up like herding ducks, one wanders off you snag him back then another wanders off....heh-heh.

But I seriously think, we veterans of the community as well as the newer players that will follow our style, are getting closer to the coordinated team-play we originally came to this mod for.
as long as every one does not get carryed away and expect to much from mister Puber. but yeah squad leading in pub servers are like leading sheep .
RHYS4190 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 06:30   #10
JohnnyPissoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHYS4190 View Post
as long as every one does not get carryed away and expect to much from mister Puber. but yeah squad leading in pub servers are like leading sheep .
Yea true, I never expect a squad of unknown players to actually want to use tactics. In fact I rarely bring anything more exotic onto the field other than placing several way points at intervals to my intended staging area instead of the "attack here" way-line. It's a good way to find out fairly quickly, who's ready to follow my directives. Plus it sets the pace for any control movement I might want to employ.

Then if I feel the vibes are right I may introduce a more complicated formula. You gotta remember, it's just a game and not worth constantly barking at people that are hardheaded anyway.

The best players in a pub for fire control are "beta" type new players. The ones that are upfront about being new, and "suck at PR" (as they would say not me) those guys stick to you like glue. And the point with an attrition goal via fire control, is the individual players can "suck at PR" but the team puts all its fire on one target or target area at a time and on command. Making one hell of a formidable force.

Tags
control, fire