project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2008-03-11, 02:10   #1
Agent Johnson

Default Installing a liquid cooling system.

Could someone tell me what all i need to set up a full water cooling system, which would cool 2 vga's and the cpu. heres one that i found: LINK
does this contain all the parts i would need or is their something else thats needed thats not in that set? i dont think it has any of the cooling blocks so i would have to buy those , right?
Old 2008-03-11, 03:44   #2
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well, by the sound of the reviews of the kit it shoudl be enough.

Why you'd want to though, I'm afraid I have no idea. Most modern (i.e.: Intel Core2 Duo and equivilant AMD chips) CPUs produce relatively little heat; especially when compared to the 60'C temps of their Pentium 4 predecessors.

Running a rig using large fans (120mm or bigger) at a relatively low RPM, with thermal regulation enabled in your PC's BIOS, should keep your case lovely and cool.

My CPU (Intel C2D E6750 2.6Ghz ) reports a temp of around 42/44'C under 50% load, and 34-36'C at idle.

Ambient temperature inside the case is currently around 28 degrees; only a few degrees warmer than the room the PC is in. By comparison, my Pentium 4EE used to whack in at around 60'C idle (65 was not uncommon during the summer), and would hit 74-80 degrees with 100% load.

However, if you install a liquid cooling system you forever (no matter how careful you are) run the risk of massive (and VERY terminal) damage to your PC. The fact you have two GPUs indicates your system is probably fairly high-spec, and as a general rule - unless you can afford to replace everything inside your PC with equivilant new components, then don't install a liquid cooling system.

Even if it's filled with a non-conducting liquid - there are a couple of these on the market - then that doesn't stop a burst pipe from ruining your carpet or still wrecking the parts inside your PC.

The days when you needed a watercooled system in order to push a performance PC to its limits are well gone, thankfully!
Old 2008-03-11, 08:03   #3
M4nicMin3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Masaq View Post
Well, by the sound of the reviews of the kit it shoudl be enough.

Why you'd want to though, I'm afraid I have no idea. Most modern (i.e.: Intel Core2 Duo and equivilant AMD chips) CPUs produce relatively little heat; especially when compared to the 60'C temps of their Pentium 4 predecessors.

Running a rig using large fans (120mm or bigger) at a relatively low RPM, with thermal regulation enabled in your PC's BIOS, should keep your case lovely and cool.

My CPU (Intel C2D E6750 2.6Ghz ) reports a temp of around 42/44'C under 50% load, and 34-36'C at idle.

Ambient temperature inside the case is currently around 28 degrees; only a few degrees warmer than the room the PC is in. By comparison, my Pentium 4EE used to whack in at around 60'C idle (65 was not uncommon during the summer), and would hit 74-80 degrees with 100% load.

However, if you install a liquid cooling system you forever (no matter how careful you are) run the risk of massive (and VERY terminal) damage to your PC. The fact you have two GPUs indicates your system is probably fairly high-spec, and as a general rule - unless you can afford to replace everything inside your PC with equivilant new components, then don't install a liquid cooling system.

Even if it's filled with a non-conducting liquid - there are a couple of these on the market - then that doesn't stop a burst pipe from ruining your carpet or still wrecking the parts inside your PC.

The days when you needed a watercooled system in order to push a performance PC to its limits are well gone, thankfully!
/agreed

Liquid cooling is ONLY for the hardcore overclocker/hardware tester and compelete geek who thinks liquid cooling can somehow improve performance on stock CPU's for their gaming experience. Total waste of money unless you putting it to use like i mentioned and high risk to hardware.

you could always try this though for a laugh....,

5 GHZ Project ( liquid nitrogen )

or this

Oil Cooled PC

If nothing else youll have fun

Tags
cooling, installing, liquid, system