project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2008-06-19, 06:46   #1
Krimzon2
Default Game crashes to desktop after about 10-20 min of gameplay???

First off I love the PR mod however after I installed PR both the mod and vanilla BF2 crash to the desktop without any errors after about 10-20 minutes of gameplay, I can play for about 2hrs on infranty only maps in vanilla but I was wondering if anyone has a idea how I can fix this or any suggestions.

My specs are:
Windows XP home SP2
Realtek AC97 onboard sound
Geforce 5200fx 256mb
1Gig Kingston Ram
Intel Celeron 2.70ghz
Direct X 9.0
2gig page file
Old 2008-06-19, 16:53   #2
thepalerider

Default Re: Game crashes to desktop after about 10-20 min of gameplay???

I took this right out of the INSTALL GUIDE:

The Project Reality mod extends Battlefield 2 with the addition of new/more detailed player/vehicle/weapon models, much larger maps with more objects and new higher quality atmospheric and weapon effects. As such, the demands Project Reality makes on your system are greater than vanilla Battlefield 2, so unless you have next generation PC components, you should expect some form of performance penalty; the price of dramatically enhanced gameplay and realism you might say.

Obviously the quickest way to improve Project Reality performance (and that of Battlefield 2 in general) is to upgrade your hardware, primarily your system RAM, your GPU and your CPU. More system RAM in particular is an effective way to improve performance on large maps (Al Basrah is a good example). A newer video card is an effective way to improve overall video quality and detail (allowing you to run at higher video settings and resolution).

More/faster/better hardware isn't necessarily an immediate option for some (student/beer/car repairs/mortgage/kids with expensive dental operations) so here is an excellent guide for understanding your BF2 graphic settings and determining your optimal settings:
BF2 tweak guide

Having at least the Recommended System Specifications for Project Reality really helps:
2.4GHz CPU,
2GB RAM,
Video Card with at least 256 MB of RAM
+ Approximately 2GB of free disk space on the hard drive that Battlefield 2 is installed.

Hope this helps
Old 2008-06-22, 21:02   #3
Sgt_carbonero
Supporting Member

sounds to me like its overheating, probably the power supply. i would say the gpu but that normally presents artifacts before crapping out. try another outlet as well.

also, definately get another gig of ram.

carbonero
Old 2008-09-01, 00:02   #4
pfceverson

mine recently started doing this aswell i didnt have any problems until today when it started kicking me

Tags
1020, crashes, desktop, game, gameplay, min