Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2008-10-30, 01:47   #1
DeePsix
Supporting Member

Default Computer died -advice needed

Hello all, ran into some computer problems. I'm not that experienced with computers, so maybe someone with more knowledge can help me off.

I was working on a paper when my computer shut down abruptly. No shut down process, no warning messages, just boom - turn off. The computer will not start back up when the button is pushed. One of the lights (next to the star symbol) is blinking slowly, but everything in unresponsive.

My initial thought is that my PSU has died, does this sound like a sound diagnosis?

Any info you guys can throw me will help!

Thanks.

PR Testing Team: Serious Business.
[R-DEV]LeadMagnet: I guess that's what you get when an Irishman drinks light beer.....bad advice.
[R-DEV]dbzao: I'm Oscar Mike, OSCAR MIKE!!!!
Old 2008-10-30, 01:52   #2
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Computer died -advice needed

Blinking light? Might be your PSU or Video card

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Old 2008-10-30, 02:00   #3
DeePsix
Supporting Member

hmmm. If it was my video card, would my computer still start up atleast?

PR Testing Team: Serious Business.
[R-DEV]LeadMagnet: I guess that's what you get when an Irishman drinks light beer.....bad advice.
[R-DEV]dbzao: I'm Oscar Mike, OSCAR MIKE!!!!
Old 2008-10-30, 06:30   #4
Makee

Do you hear any sounds from your computer case, when you're trying to start it (hard discs, fans,...).

Open your case and see what is happening when you try to turn on your computer. CPU fan should start working immediately or within 30 seconds after start try, if graphic card is faulty.
Old 2008-10-30, 07:54   #5
MadTommy
Supporting Member

PSU or motherboard... doesn't sound like graphics card.

If you have no activity at all inside... its PSU, if the PSU fan spins but nothing else it could be the motherboard (or the PSU).
Old 2008-10-30, 15:25   #6
thepalerider

Arrow Re: Computer died -advice needed

Pull the plug and let it cool. Overheating video card can cause blackout, but it's much more likely the power supply is toast.Check inside your case and find out the size of your power supply (350,450, 500 wats etc.)
Go down to your local computer and pick up a power supply tester if you don't have one and a power supply at least 500 wats(you can always return it later if it isn't needed).
You can get a basic tester for around $10bucks US.
When the box has cooled off and you have made sure the power switch on the psu is off, open your case.
Put the power cord you pulled out back in, keeping switch turned OFF. Holding on to the side on your case with one hand to stay grounded (or put on a grounding wrist strap if you have one) reach in with your free hand and gently pull out the 20/24 main motherboard power feed. Plug it into the tester. Hopefully you can rest the tester inside the case where it won't touch any fans when you power up.
Remove your hand from the inside of your case.
Turn the power supply switch on and check the led readout.
If you have any red leds install the new power supply.
Take notes or photograph your layout before removing anything else.

PS this is a good time to clean the dust out of the case and check the motherboard for any heat damage or blown resistors.

This happened to me a few months ago, computer dropped dead and I was scared to death my new $300.00US video card
was a paper weight.
Replacing the psu fixed everything and gave me the chance to upgrade my power supply for future upgrades by getting a bigger one.

Good luck
Last edited by thepalerider; 2008-10-31 at 14:13..

Tags
advice, computer, died, i'm a computer noob, needed