project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2008-12-28, 13:33   #1
SHAz_181
Default 2142 realism mod?

I've been wanting a realism mod for 2142 for quite some time. Now before you say "LOLOL 2142 IS IN DA FUTUR SO LIEK IT KENT B RELISTIC", that's not true. You can still have realism (Or at least relative realism) in a different time period. What I'm asking for is basically 2142 with some of PR's features, IE bleeding, suppression and standardised kits and faction-specific weapons instead of having a huge mixed bag of weapons. Almost all the needed weapons are there. For example, the EU would have the SCAR-11 as the main weapon (Rifleman, Officer, Medic, etc.), with the Bianchi as the GPMG (Machine-gunner), the Moretti (Sniper), AV-18 (Anti-tank, would have SCAR-11 as primary weapon), the Turcotte for Crewmen and Pilots, Pierra would serve as the side-arm for snipers and officers (Although I don't like the idea of a service revolver, an Automatic pistol would be more likely). SAAW 86 + SCAR-11 for the Anti-Air soldier. The SCAR-11 also works for the grenadier and engineer as they can have the PK-74 Rockets and Herzog shotgun attatchments respectively. The only class I can't think of a weapon for is the Marksman. I'd say the Baur H-AR but it doesn't look EU-ey, and there's no current equivalent available. Maybe a long-barreled version of the SCAR-11? I don't know much about modelling but I'm guessing it wouldn't be a huge feat to make one

However, on reflection, there are a few models that are needed. Field dressings, or the future equivalent, Binoculars, Medkits (Where the hell do they put those huge boxes when they need their hands free?), Ammo pouches (Again, current 2142 one is too big), LTD's and probably some more.

But again, all I'd want for a 2142 realism mod would be minimal changes, no major modelling, animation or texturing to be done. I'm assuming that 2142 is pretty much identical to BF2, code-wise, so most of the features are ready to implement, right (This is only an assumption, though, I don't know anything really)

Yes, that was a disorganised pile of text but I'm not good at explaining the big picture. And I realise that modding isn't simple, this is just an idea I'm throwing out.
SHAz_181 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 13:36   #2
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: 2142 realism mod?

Not from our side. There is a realism mod for 2142, by the way.

Extreme Realism mod Mod for Battlefield 2142 Extreme Realism Mod v1.8 is going PUBLIC!!! news - Mod DB

bosco_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 13:39   #3
SHAz_181

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]bosco View Post
Oh, awesome! Thanks for telling me about this!
Old 2008-12-28, 13:47   #4
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

IIRC the guy(s?) behind the 2142 Realism mod aimed for 'visual realism' rather than 'gameplay realism'.
So basically same thing, only more payload on your GFX with all the fancy detailed textures.
Don't QFT me on this, but there was an e-drama long ago on this subject.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 13:53   #5
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I used to play it- when you shoot people they die rather than just walk it off

its more fun than v2142 to be sure, but 2142 can only go so far since its unrealsitic by nature (which is fine, I had alot of fun with it in its time)

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 13:56   #6
ZaZZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Outlawz View Post
there was an e-drama long ago on this subject.
I remember that
ZaZZo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 14:22   #7
NyteMyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAz_181 View Post
Now before you say "LOLOL 2142 IS IN DA FUTUR SO LIEK IT KENT B RELISTIC"
Pfff...what do you take us for?
NyteMyre is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-28, 15:15   #8
SHAz_181

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteMyre View Post
Pfff...what do you take us for?
I didn't mean to offend anyone with that :P
Anyway, I've had a bit of a play around with the extreme 'realism' mod, but it's really not what I'm looking for. It's still as fast-paced as normal 2142, but with more damage. The vehicles dominate EVERYTHING, and it's just a bit repetitive. Plus some of the weapon sounds really suck.

Tags
2142, mod, realism