Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-28, 03:40   #101
Biggaayal
Default Re: [Map] Beirut

This map looks failed like Karbala, for the reason that PEOPLE DON'T BUILD HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS IF THERE IS OPEN TERRAIN AROUND.

PLZ mappers learn this lesson.

Open terrain ----> no high-rise but low village type houses like on Korengal.

No open terrain, either
-because of the terrain form (cfr muttrah 2- you can't build in the hills so people must build high-rise, or
-because the whole map is filled with houses

-----> then use high rise buildings.

It doesn't seem as bad though as Basra and Karbala, 2 maps which totally fail at any realism. Hasn't any of the devs realized this flaw, or talked to the mappers about it, or axed their maps for release? We've seen maps axed which were much better then Karbala, which still is the worst map for it, and which has incredibly tedious gameplay.

Edit: User was warned for a mix of yelling & misspent "fail" ranting. Constructive criticism will get you a lot farther.
Last edited by [R-MOD]Saobh; 2010-01-28 at 12:49..
Old 2010-01-28, 07:11   #102
nk87

Can't believe people really whine at the map before it's even had its time to prove it self, in any way. Just unbellieveable and disgusting... Start mapping your self...

Personally I think it looks promising, but I choose to give anything new in this game the benefit of the doubt.
Old 2010-01-28, 07:38   #103
Bellator

Quote:
This map looks failed like Karbala, for the reason that PEOPLE DON'T BUILD HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS IF THERE IS OPEN TERRAIN AROUND.
This depends on various factors, including the country's financial, banking and monetary policies, regulatory systems, fuel subsidies and so forth, all of which can affect sprawl to the degree that it isn't impossible to have a high rise next to an open terrain, just as it isn't impossible to have an oversupply of suburban housing and a tendency to oversprawl, like the in the US.

But I agree that on some maps the contrast between non-urban terrain and the city is sometimes a little too stark. I think its for gameplay reasons: The blufor would have hard time winning in maps like Karbala and Basrah if they didn't have terrain where to move freely safe from insurgents.
Last edited by Bellator; 2010-01-28 at 07:52..
Old 2010-01-28, 09:31   #104
Snazz
Supporting Member

Yeah I'm not a fan of the 'random high rises in the middle of a desert' thing either, EJOD is another example.

Some suburban/shanty outskirts instead of open desert would be good, just having flat empty areas around a city seems like a waste of map space.

We can tell from the map overview and all the screen shots whether the map looks anything like Beirut or like a realistic city in general. It's not a 'you have to play it first' matter.

I don't mind waiting longer for a map to be finished either, one month is kind of rushed by PR standards.
Old 2010-01-28, 09:57   #105
Big Lebowski

Mappers has the tendency to scale down their maps alot - and for good reasone. This allows them do have much more freedom to implement any ideas and thoughts they might have for their maps and do alot of different things. Maps like Basrah, Kabala and now Beirut. And some of these play out great and yet look nothing like their names.

If one would want to make a realistic version of one of these maps they would be limited to do only a part of the town or area. Like Fallujah and Korangal. -I personaly enjoy playing these "realistic" maps alot - however i enjoy playing a good round on Basrah (and maybe soon Beirut) just as much.

If a map has a great layout it dosent nesceraly has to look realistic to play great. That being mentioned.. I hate Karbale.
Old 2010-01-28, 10:24   #106
Protector

I think people are over analyzing things because they are bored waiting for news on the release... HINT HINT! GIVE US A DATE
Old 2010-01-28, 16:35   #107
Bagger

I dont care about all those people who think they can do better, if u do then do it urself, the map looks damn good and i cant wait to play it, realistic or not VERY GOOD JOB this is not gonna be the new muttrah but its gonna be the new Beirut
thanks for the effort devs

srr about english
Old 2010-01-28, 16:54   #108
killonsight95
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggaayal View Post

PLZ mappers learn this lesson.

Open terrain ----> no high-rise but low village type houses like on Korengal.

No open terrain, either
-because of the terrain form (cfr muttrah 2- you can't build in the hills so people must build high-rise, or
-because the whole map is filled with houses

It doesn't seem as bad though as Basra and Karbala, 2 maps which totally fail at any realism. Hasn't any of the devs realized this flaw, or talked to the mappers about it, or axed their maps for release? We've seen maps axed which were much better then Karbala, which still is the worst map for it, and which has incredibly tedious gameplay.

please research before posting

Old 2010-01-28, 17:15   #109
Herbiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggaayal View Post
is filled with houses

And no one will play that map because it lags.

Seriously - if Qinling lags because it's covered with trees (and they are spread out) what chance do you think people's processors have against an entire city?

Also you're WRONG. Al Basrah is a pretty good representation of the actual city - when you're going in there's some shanties at the side but it's a city that pops out of no where... or didn't you know that Basrah and Beirut are MAJOR CITIES AND THEREFORE HAVE SKY SCRAPERS. ..... fool.

Edit: User was warned for "attitude problem". This is the 2nd member in this very page to get warned. Anyone continuing in this direction will get infracted in the same way. For frak sake people wait until the map is out to start yelling at each other at least ...
Last edited by [R-MOD]Saobh; 2010-01-29 at 01:25..
Old 2010-01-28, 18:36   #110
Sandmarken

Very nice
Closed Thread

Tags
beirut, map